The Last Squires Meeting

AllianceNJ

Spellsword
I wish many of you had been there for the last Squires meeting. In that meeting we spoke of Redemption and forgiveness. When has someone crossed the line not to receive a second chance...

Duke Sir Frost Vardik
During this topic His Grace spoke about his time in Niman. And how he had been raised to be a knight since the age of 16 within the society of Niman. He also spoke of the fact that he and his family owned slaves. In Niman society it was a normal practice.

His Grace spoke about how when he came to Icenia, and swore fealty to their majesties, how he had freed his slaves, and not until he had lived in a culture where slavery is illegal, did he see a different view point, understand it, and agree with it.

Sir Eros Clearbrook, a Mystic Wood Elf, who was originally a vassal under Duke Aramis, stayed when Sir Frost became Duke of Ashbury, and in his time of service saw that indeed his Grace was an honorable man, followed the code of chivalry, lived to defend his people, and did not own slaves any longer.

Many people have asked me why I follow Duke Sir Frost Vardik. How can I... a Romani of the blood follow a slaver.

I do not follow a slaver. Duke Frost once owned slaves when he was in Niman. And yes this troubled my heart greatly. But in coming to Icenia, he has .... found a home where people are free. And in this new home he embraced our ideals, and the code of Chivalry. And Just as Sir Eros did, I watched Duke Frost... and I found in him someone I believed had the best interests of Ashbury and Icenia in his heart.

I have not and do not always see eye to eye with his Grace. There are cultural differences which still arise from time to time. But I do trust completely that his Grace has the best interest of the people he serves in his heart. And it is in this I trust and place my faith in.

In this dark time, when our King is laid to rest and our beloved Queen lost... we must unite. We, Ashbury must unite and pull together out of the ashes of our sorrowed past and reform to face the onslaught which threatens us all. The Dominion, the Vampiric bloodline of Morganna, and so much more wages war against US without cessation. We in turn must fight back, Fight for our people, and their freedoms.

In Service
Lady Knight Glorianna Wyndancer Nordenn

Forgiveness is not given so freely as all that. There has not been a gather yet where i have not been reminded about my frist days off the reclame. When it was my way to destory any sky magic i found. I knew nothing about a the ash forest or its history. I was charged made to pay a honor price to the owner of the house. ITs was later that i learned more about what eles had happened as far as the forest goes. Ive never felt worse about something but still im all but hated by the elf people that call that place home. That was over 3 years ago now, i was 15 years old. since then ive done nothing but help others where ever i could. But this last gather agen I hear this. And from Drake's own chapion Avan. Ive tryed so hard over the last 3 years to understand ways not my own. And now that it would seem so close to getting a chance to join forces with Brave people and change this world we all share for good. I was cast out by them for something so long ago. So much do i hate sky magics but im am asked to fight beside them because it is your law. But when i use my magics that brake no law I am called wrong.

Forgiveness is not in your lands,I would grow old looking for it.
Walgar of the Wolf Tribe

Walgar,

It may be that people have not forgiven you because there have been rumors of you bragging about what you did, even after apologizing.

I do not know whether or not this is true, as rumors can be twisted, but forgiveness can only come when one is truly sorry. One who boasts of their acts cannot truly be sorry for them.

I spent many years living in South Point, and if there is one thing I learned it is this--you will be hard pressed to find forgiveness when you commit a crime against The Ash Forest, especially when fire is involved. From what I have seen, a person will find it easier to be forgiven for murder than using fire destructively within The Forest. Also, keep in mind that three years to an elf is not the same as three years to a vansir.

I know nothing of rumors of bragging, or if you truly are sorry or not. Quite frankly, that is none of my business. I just thought I would share with you the hard truth of the matter from the point of view of a human who spent many years in South Point. If this past crime continues to plague you, then I suggest you seek out The Forest and find a way to help it.

Safe travels,

Perwin Poppinfresh

There is a human adage, "forgive and forget." The first part of this, forgiveness, is very important. One cannot function if they allow all of their actions to be decided by grudges and vendettas. The second part of the saying, I disagree with. His Grace and Walgar's crimes were committed out of ignorance and custom. Duke Vardik was raised in a land where slavery was accepted, and he was never taught that owning slaves was immoral. Walgar, then known as Haldor, was taught all his life that celestial magic was evil "sky galdr," a thing to be feared and destroyed. Does this mean that they did not committ crimes? Of course not. But they were informed of their transgressions and showed contrition for their actions. When someone honestly repents (as per Baron Ivan's favourite saying) they should, of course, be forgiven. But any action of importance, good or evil, should not be forgot. The tale of the great leader Frost Vardik who once kept slaves but freed them may inspire other slaveholders in foreign lands to follow his example. Remembering Walgar's mistake teaches us to make sure that Walgar and any of his people venturing out of the reclaim are informed of local customs.
In my travels, I have seen that forgiveness is very difficult for many people of many cultures. It involves letting go of hatred and anger - very powerful emotions that should not be allowed to hold sway over a mind. Minds that have forgiven are much healthier than minds holding onto layers and layers of resentment from bygone days. Forgiving means being rid of the emotional attatchment, forgetting means letting the memory slip from your mind.
Walgar, Squire Aven is a mystic wood elf, people of very long memories. Though I was not a witness to your conversation at the Squire's Meeting, perhaps you are mistaking her recollection of the event for hostility. If you are indeed contrite, perhaps she has forgiven you (likely, given what I have seen of the good Squire's nature) but not forgotten what you have done.

Apprentice Ren Suzume
Mages Guild of Fairedale

Walgar,

Our conversation this past weekend was not in reference to forgiveness of a past crime. It was in response to your request that I be open and honest with you regarding concerns I may have. These concerns did not involve your crime, but situations that took place since then which I thought you did a good job addressing. I have done my best to maintain the position that if one commits a crime and pays the penalty for the crime, then that is the past. They have the ability to move forward either as a law-abiding individual or one that does not. It pains me now that you would use my name in your thoughts at how there is no forgiveness in these lands. I grieve that somehow my words and actions were not clearer to you.

Forgiveness is a difficult path. When one offends another (either by action, word, or attitude) and they wish to make amends, it can take time as trust has been broken and needs to be rebuilt. Depending on the offense, that may take a simple apology or it could take a lifetime of proving that one is different.

I urge you to not let your own frustrations at how some individuals have treated you regarding a past deed color your thoughts regarding the whole of the Duchy. Has not Baron Sir Ivan Drake taken actions (not just words) to mend a wrong that was committed hundreds of years ago with the Vansir? A wrong that took place before he was born. His contrite spirit and desire to encourage others to have the courage to repent and forgive has put him on this path.

What of Lady Knight Glorianna's words? Did they fall to the wayside? There are those who would judge and condemn someone based on stories that they have heard without even meeting the person. Some of these people would even spread slanderous stories to others to further harm the reputation of the one that the hate. Hate, because of what they did in the past. I know that you have felt the receiving end of this Walgar. But Lady Knight Glorianna raises her voice to tell all how she feels and to set the record clear as to why she serves her liege. This is so no one should question or doubt her choice.

You have had friends and allies do the same toward you. They may know of your past crime, but they have seen how you fight for the people and how you treat your friend and allies. They know you have a good heart and they choose to be your friend and ally. Is that not the same thing that Lady Knight Glorianna speaks of?

Please Walgar--do not distract from what Lady Knight Glorianna attempts to do here. We need to be unified in our purpose of defending this Duchy. We need to support one another. We may not always agree, we may not always like each other--but we need to work together to make sure that we all have the freedoms that we enjoy today.

In service,

Squire Man-at-Arms Aven
Barony of Blythedale
Vex Squad, Legion D "the Untiring Phalanx" Ducal Army

I feel obligated to join this conversation. I believe that if you come to know and understand Walgar, you will find a man of true heart. Walgar's nature is to enjoy life, even his mistakes. Yes, he is often stubborn, but no one complains about his stubborness when he steadfastly holds the battle line against our enemies as he has often done.

There will always be cultural differences. The challenge is to overcome these differences and learn from one another. I welcome all who take issue with Walgar to speak with him as I know Aven has done.

--- Baron Ivan Drake of Blythedale

Walgar,
Something to understand, be that as it may, is customs in certain lands. Before progressing further, I ask you as I have never been to the Reclaim; what is the punishment for casting Celestial Magics (as I assume this is what you are refering to)

-Aislynn Ravenshire

These words trouble my dreams. There is anger and frustration in your words Walgar. There are so many differences between cultures. Three years time for you is a very long time, for the elves it is a mere blink of the eye. You come from a culture where what you do is very much who you are. You speak loudly and confidently of what has happened in the past and I feel others may perceive this as bragging or a lack of remorse. Instead it is you acknowledging what you have done, why you did it, and your understanding that it is now wrong. Do not confuse others not forgetting this act with not forgiving. Certainly some have not forgiven, but I think many have forgiven just not forgotten. I'm not sure...Forgive me if this doesn't make sense. My head pains me. This talk and recent events have left me somewhat agitated. I will talk with you more in person should you wish. Seek me out at the Storm's End, the keep the Stormblades have recently occupied. It is a few hours ride north of Fairedale.

-Gwendara Alanik
Seneschal of the Stormblades

-Aislynn Ravenshire I hear in your words a snake's hiss like im walking close to poisoned mouth. The punishment would be only done to people knowing then done wrong and after it was payed it would be done. And if we were angry with someone we would not half act it. But when it happened last year that one came to the reclame and used a item that was forbidden she was made to give 10 golds to the bear tribe because they were in the most need. She knew what she did was wrong I did not, she gave the price and did I, She is forgiven I am not. So let me ask you this now, WHAT COULD I DO NOW TO END THIS !?! If you are thinking that my price was to low maybe you should think of that i gave my life willingly later that same night beside two other Vansir to destroy a massive boat filled with magic that made endless undead. So if a life and the price is not enough then What is Aislynn Ravenshire of the Ash Forest? What harm do you still wish on me now?

Walgar

Walgar,
I am confused as to your accusation. My words did not drip with venom, nor did they take any tone near it. I am just trying to understand how it is handled in the Reclaim. As per your words, a person who was unaware what they did was wrong in the Reclaim would not serve as much a punishment as one who had.

I ask this plainly, without accusation. How would you feel toward someone who came to your homeland and cast such magics?

-Aislynn Ravenshire

Aven I feel backstabed now that you felt the way you do for this long and spoke nothing of it to me. We held ground side by side so many times me thinking you had love in your heart for me as a fellow. We even fell together once in blood stone. Ive put my trust in you even when i felt i should not And still you said nothing. What eles do you hold in your heart that you dont speak. How many others are like you and say nothing. I was warned not to trust non-Vansir because they speak not what is in there heart. I know feel a fool for being to trusting of so many so quickly.

I will now move my home far into the contested lands where i can fight knowing where everyone stands. I wish you all luck and Honor in your comming battles I will do what i can from here.

Walgar

Walgar,

Please do not go. My head hurts and my heart is saddened by your words in my dreams. Come, stay with me for a time in Storm's End. Don't take others words too harshly. I think you are feeling too much into this. I have spent time with your people, much time. Come. Talk with me.

-Gwendara Alanik
Sensechal of the Stormblades

In your keep i will make my summer home.

Thank you Gwen you are one of my TRUE friends
Walgar

It is truly fascinating (though not surprising) that so much hostility can spring from a conversation about an innocent topic such as forgiveness. By veering into the realms of insult and injury, this debate has revealed a great deal about the concept. I do not exagerate when I say that in this turbulent time we must unite or we will die. Let us forgive others their transgressions, and not let petty bickering blind us to the greater evils we face.

Apprentice Ren Suzume

In my personal case, I had studied celestial magics for years and was quite good at it in the estate of Smallborough. I had a nice life, and was making a fine living at it.

Then, a few years ago, Duke Bryan decided that the estate would be given to the barbarians for the years of mistreatment they suffered at the hands of the Evandarrians.

The barbarians immediately made my profession illegal, forcing me to move from the lands of my birth or else be subject to their myopic laws.

Somehow they have never seen the irony of the way they treated people different from them while decrying being treated the same way.

Wizard Aloysius

Walgar,

You and I have discussed this incident at length in previous years, when you were still considered a boy by your people. I saw the reports of you assisting with the rebuilding of the docks in South Point. I heard of your tale of sacrifice to destroy the Vacarran ship. Please answer my question honestly:

Are the rumors true? Did you, or did you not brag about burning down the guild?

speaking on it is not braging so no. I was trying to teach others about the code by telling how i once broke it. I did not respect the laws of the land i was in because i did not know them. IT was a talk two gathers ago that i was asked to lead. Witch now makes it seem clear to me that i have no place in "the Code".

And now that i think about it, it was the words from the story paper that say i braged. Half trues made into whole lies That anyone would heed the words there more then mine hurts badly.

Walgar

Walgar, There is forgiveness here my friend. By your own words, knowing how I was raised and the culture I was brought up in, You spoke that you thought of me more Vansir at Heart, and to most valiant and honorable then most men you ever met. So hear me please hear me now, and take no offense to what I say.

One of the biggest things in the topic discussed was that true forgiveness is to , I can't believe I am going to use this word.... We discussed that to forgive one self, to "repent" is what truly matters. In your heart, I look at you and hear you now. I believe you to be sorry for what you had done, not that you destroyed something celestial, but the coarse of action you took that day and your going about it without knowing the laws of these lands. And if nothing else, learn this from me my brave brother, you cannot make everyone happy or please everyone even if you live a "perfect life". So adding a flaw, or crime, or negative to that "life" will make it nearly impossible to be liked, forgiven, or embraced by all people. There are a lot of us that embrace the leadership of and follow our Duke, And then there are some that still speak out against him, no matter what he does it will always be.
There are some that forgive Veil for what she did in other lands, and there are some that would still see her punished or suffer further for her old crime. There are some that forgive you and look beyond that situation when you were but a months of the Reclaim, and there are some that may still be mad or hold the crime against you. My point is no matter what His Grace, Veil, or yourself ever does,( 3 separate people, 3 separate lifestyle, 3 separate up bringings, and/or crimes ) there will always be something or someone that will speak against you. Regardless of situation or crime/lifestyle/mistake... You cannot please everyone.... Remember true forgiveness is within, to feel within yourself that you are indeed sorry, all other forgiveness from other people or sources is just a bonus. Obviously the more the bonus, the better.

But most importantly, for your situation. You are with friends and warriors that would gladly die beside you or lend aid to you in any situation. And more people forgive your crime, or look past it then you think. Do not be so brash Walgar to be so quick to walk away, do not be so quick to throw all non vansir into one catagory ;) Your presence, aid, and friendship is welcomed as much as it is needed.

Let us ALL drop all anger and frustration here, we cannot present ourselfs to be divided, even a little bit. As for here and now Let us focus on the true meaning of what the Lady Knight spoke.

-Ithica

Ithica is correct. There is enough strife and trouble outside of our small outpost to last a lifetime. We do not need to fight within ourselves. If you cannot forgive, please try to keep your differences from driving us all apart.

Walgar, I know you feel badly for the way you addressed the sky galdr problem. Your sorrow and repentance is internal. It may be hard to do, but try not to look for the approval or forgiveness of others. True contrition comes from within. You are there. You have accepted and made amends for your actions. That's all that anyone can ask of you. Some may not accept this, but all you can do is to continue to live your life honorably and do what is right as I know you will do. We cannot afford to lose someone as good hearted and honest as you. Stay with us, I would be terribly saddened if I were not able to fight beside you to protect the commoners and adventurers in Fairedale.

Lady Knight,

Your words are moving. That you, a Romani, stand behind the Duke and the reasons why you do this shows the true character of Duke Frost. We must work together and keep faith that our Queen can be saved.

-Gwendara Alanik
Sensechal of the Stormblades

Back