The new Bulletin Board

I'm trying the prosliver settings.

Edited: Went back to Avalon the prosliver bugged me out lol

You can go here and look at some other styles: http://beta.colorizeit.com/

I personally love Serenity, and use it on my WoKJ site. Anyone can go and play around, design a color scheme, and if you want to nominate it for use, just copy the link given in the "Bookmark this color scheme" section. Post it and Mike or I can upload it if Mike likes it.

To elaborate on why the old forum couldn't be transfered:

The old forum was hosted on a windows server, with .asp files and an Access database. The new server is non-windows, and windows doesn't play well with others.

Compounding problems, the old board was not a big forum provider on the internet, meaning not many people used that forum software. Since the board was very out of date (2 whole software cycles behind v7 to v9), there were no available converters to go from access to mysql for that version of the software. So Mike would likely have had to pay a few hundred dollars (maybe more) to have one made to convert the database into the proper format. Just a messy situation. I apologize I wasn't able to help make the transfer smooth, I hate losing forum data and making users re-register.

I miss the avatars, but other than that it is cool.

Sorry, didn't have the avatar function on!

It should work now!

Note: there is no avatar gallery yet -- anyone know how to get one? -- and you have to link to an URL (no uploading avatars to avoid viruses).

I think the only thing that I miss from the old forums (though I reserve the right to add more things later) is the post reply box on the bottom of a thread... so you don't need to go to a new page to reply... it allowed you to reference back to other posts... and I do see the little window under the posting area that has a smaller version of the thread... but meh... maybe I'm just being picky, but I thought the other was a little more friendly...

-Justin

That's how I got here this time as well... so it all looks like its working

-Justin

Also, is there a way on the View Active Topics or View New Posts pages to see the chapter that an IG or OOG post is originating from other than cl icking on it and looking from there?

-Justin "Board Junkie" Doheny

It shows the forum under the topic title.

If Mike was to rename them from Off Topic to something like Chicago - Off Topic, then you would be able to tell where they were coming from. His call!

I may just be tired and missed it... but is there a way like on the old Forums to set your Private Messenger to email you when a new message was received?

I liked that lol... but i couldn't see anything except Board Subscriptions that even remotely touched on the notice thing... if its gone thats fine but if we can do it and I'm just dumb can someone please correct me? :roll:

Quinn said:
I may just be tired and missed it... but is there a way like on the old Forums to set your Private Messenger to email you when a new message was received?

I liked that lol... but i couldn't see anything except Board Subscriptions that even remotely touched on the notice thing... if its gone thats fine but if we can do it and I'm just dumb can someone please correct me? :roll:

There is an option for it in your user control panel under Board Preferences, in the edit global settings. And I believe it is automatically set to notify you of new PMs. :)

Ok I'll buy that-- it just says "notify me" and nothing about email-- so I actually assumed it would do a pop-up if I was logged into the Forums or when I came back rather than emailing me about new messages.

There is a pop-up window option, I believe it is similar to the old boards where it will only show up when you load a page/refresh.

-Justin

Looks okay so far mike; the colors are a little drab and seemably a weird setting on this computer, but its probably just the computer itself.

-Ali

OK.. posting again because it didn't take the first time..

I'm not a fan of the colors... it's hard to read..
and I don't really like that the subforum headers are no longer on the active topics view.

It seems most of you, including Mike, find this style bland. I'll go ahead an install a new one, let me know what you think.

Back