The price we pay

I will say again: when I was told what the nobility were releasing this race for three to four years ago, it was so that when the time came, we could defeat the Dominion en masse, and destroy the One.

The reasons of the code given to me those years ago were protecting the weak, which were the people entrapped with them, as well as those of our own that, were we to not release this group now, they may suffer in the future at a time where we could not defeat them.

That we should fight evil without cessation. To them, this meant not leaving these people to dwell in a prison, but to release them, and fight them outright. From what I was told, the other four who were imprisoned with them would become our allies.

There was never a time in which I was told we were to release them to show them 'the way of good'. Or to take pity upon them. It was never a decision to do anything EXCEPT destroy them.

At the time I did not wish to release necromancy upon our homeland. I feared that the nobility would not follow through with their word. That, admittedly, what they planned on doing was nothing more than hubris, and they had released what would be our doom upon the land.

So in turn, the nobility told the truth. They did what they set out to do. And by that, I was wrong to misjudge them in such a manner.

Genocide is a word that means to destroy a people in one fell swoop. From what it sounds like here, nothing but the city itself was destroyed, at least if the Riedic Legion was able to fight the next day.

Are there people still alive upon the Plains of Rage? Did they surrender, or are they choosing to fight to the last man? From what I hear, Riedic's legion decided to fight to the very last man. At Joquinn's term, the very last. And that was their choice to make.

The Code of Chivalry is such:

Thou Shalt Respect the Weak and Thou Shalt Constitute Thyself the Defender of Them
Thou Shalt Love the Country to Which Thou Hath Sworn Fealty
Thou Shalt Not Recoil Before Thine Enemy
Thou Shalt Make War Against Evil Without Cessation
Thou Shalt Scrupulously Perform Thy Noble Duties be they not contrary to the Laws of the Land
Thou Shalt Never Lie and Thou Shall Remain Faithful to Thy Word
Thou Shalt be Generous and Thou Shalt give Freely to Others
Thou Shalt be Everywhere and Always the Champion of the Right and the Good Against Injustice and Evil

By those tenants of the code, the Nobility protected the weak, fought evil without cessation, and remained faithful to their word. They were everywhere and always the Champion against injustice, and defended the land to which they have sworn fealty. They did not recoil before the enemy, or the decision faced. They performed their noble duties. They freely gave their lives generously I am sure, and will continue to do so in taking full responsibility for this action.

-Aislynn Ravenshire

And how much time did you spend living amoung them Joquin? How well do you know the laws and upbringing of their people. How do you know what was in the hearts of their common man? I was there, for two years I intergrated into these people, learning EVERYTHING about them. I had to to remain unseen. How to talk, how to live, how to act. I am telling you, here and now, your assumptions about their "chance" to walk away are wrong. Those who disagree, tho few I admit, were arrested and "educated" until they agreed. It may very well have been that those outside the millitary would have fought us to the man, but you didn't live with them. You didn't see the way their society was broken up.
The Military and the civilian populace are two different entities. The goverment, their senate, made the laws and ran the cities, and the military kept expanding their empire so that the currupt practices of the society would be supported, and justifed. It was a cycle, one I belive could have been BROKEN by defeating the military, and the leadership. Did I see compasion, yes. I saw slaves treated better then I have seen us treat some of our enemies. I saw people who didn't take slaves. They passed very very strict laws for the treatment of captives. They had to be treated well, and kept safe from harm. Failure in this was punished severly.
Yes they were wrong, becasue they embraced slavery, and they were ignorant to evils of their society, but OUTSIDE the Millitary the people had the potential to see their errors. Three years after millenia with no actual change in their lifestyle or goverment is hardly a "chance" for redemption.

If it were a massive Military city, run by the military and not being populated with civilians, them maybe I would feel different. I don't know. I do agree that they HAD to be stoped. Their Military half had to be completly destroyed.

Like I said, I am just trying to answer those questions. I know more about what was lost and gained here than anyone. I know how far they would have likly gone, but I can't help but think the cycle could have been broken. I am troubled not by the nessesity, but by the willingness and shear conviction I am seeing. Have we been pushed so far that we don't care who we hurt to win?
Amaranthus

Amaranthus and Zatarina,

I heard both of your opinions on the issue of the Dominion and the destruction of the stone. I too was there when the stone was destroyed. I too saw the thousands of Dominion fall in Starkenstine. I have not been able to sleep well due to nightmares of hearing the screams of thousands echoing in my mind, especially being close to the stone when it was shattered.

I am sure many are pondering the events of this past gathering of adventurers.

I too am torn by the decision. Was it worth destroying thousands to save thousands? Could we have done something different? How will those in the future see this war? Will there be any lasting consequesnce, good or bad, that result from this war? What new challenges will we face in the future? These questions are ones I have no answer yet they haunt me as much as the screams of those from the stone. I do not believe anyone will ever be able to answer these questions.

One thing is for certain: This war will be permanently imbedded into my memories for better or for worse.

However rather than dwell in the past and ponder on the "What Ifs" of the events, I will look towards the future. I look to the growth of Fairdale. I look to the reclaimming of Trellheim. I look forward to seeing a strong biata council.

Argus Varda.

zehnyu said:
I will say again: when I was told what the nobility were releasing this race for three to four years ago, it was so that when the time came, we could defeat the Dominion en masse, and destroy the One.

The reasons of the code given to me those years ago were protecting the weak, which were the people entrapped with them, as well as those of our own that, were we to not release this group now, they may suffer in the future at a time where we could not defeat them.

That we should fight evil without cessation. To them, this meant not leaving these people to dwell in a prison, but to release them, and fight them outright. From what I was told, the other four who were imprisoned with them would become our allies.

There was never a time in which I was told we were to release them to show them 'the way of good'. Or to take pity upon them. It was never a decision to do anything EXCEPT destroy them.

At the time I did not wish to release necromancy upon our homeland. I feared that the nobility would not follow through with their word. That, admittedly, what they planned on doing was nothing more than hubris, and they had released what would be our doom upon the land.

So in turn, the nobility told the truth. They did what they set out to do. And by that, I was wrong to misjudge them in such a manner.

Genocide is a word that means to destroy a people in one fell swoop. From what it sounds like here, nothing but the city itself was destroyed, at least if the Riedic Legion was able to fight the next day.

Are there people still alive upon the Plains of Rage? Did they surrender, or are they choosing to fight to the last man? From what I hear, Riedic's legion decided to fight to the very last man. At Joquinn's term, the very last. And that was their choice to make.

The Code of Chivalry is such:

Thou Shalt Respect the Weak and Thou Shalt Constitute Thyself the Defender of Them
Thou Shalt Love the Country to Which Thou Hath Sworn Fealty
Thou Shalt Not Recoil Before Thine Enemy
Thou Shalt Make War Against Evil Without Cessation
Thou Shalt Scrupulously Perform Thy Noble Duties be they not contrary to the Laws of the Land
Thou Shalt Never Lie and Thou Shall Remain Faithful to Thy Word
Thou Shalt be Generous and Thou Shalt give Freely to Others
Thou Shalt be Everywhere and Always the Champion of the Right and the Good Against Injustice and Evil

By those tenants of the code, the Nobility protected the weak, fought evil without cessation, and remained faithful to their word. They were everywhere and always the Champion against injustice, and defended the land to which they have sworn fealty. They did not recoil before the enemy, or the decision faced. They performed their noble duties. They freely gave their lives generously I am sure, and will continue to do so in taking full responsibility for this action.

-Aislynn Ravenshire

Thank you. I apprichiate the veiw point given here. I will think on it. This is a complicated issue for me becasue I have seen more of their ways then the Military which most people know them for. I have seen their comononers. There is a difference to me becasue I have seen it. I may be complelty alone in this confusion becasue unless there was another I did not know, I alone have seen all sides of this terrible war. History is full of peoples making very large mistakes and reconciling those mistakes to be the good people we know of today. I just can't silence the screams without talking it out.

I don't know the effective range of the blast, but the only survivors so far seem to be the Rideic Legion and possibly the legion engaged with Galantria, as those fronts were far enough away that the blast didn't kill them. I don't know for sure, as there were other settlements outside the city.
Amaranthus

So much emotional pain." A " we all feel your pain but to vent so only makes the pain grow harder to recover from. Each one of us should be out there trying to use this to an active purpose. Plow an innocents farm, help re build a barn, make sure the orphans of this war feel hope that someone cares. By these actions those whom might have strayed to evil have at least a chance to follow the laws, and become good citizens. For us to vent for long periods like this only digs deeper the wounds we have inflicted upon any of the innocent out there. I feel your depth, but there is too much to do out there. I am focusing on foundations we can build upon. If I succeed we will have a much firmer land under our feet.

Zat

kitsune85 said:
One thing is for certain: This war will be permanently imbedded into my memories for better or for worse.

However rather than dwell in the past and ponder on the "What Ifs" of the events, I will look towards the future. I look to the growth of Fairdale. I look to the reclaimming of Trellheim. I look forward to seeing a strong biata council.

Argus Varda.

And in those good days to come hopefuly your right, and we can both get some sleep.
Amaranthus

Heidi said:
So much emotional pain." A " we all feel your pain but to vent so only makes the pain grow harder to recover from. Each one of us should be out there trying to use this to an active purpose. Plow an innocents farm, help re build a barn, make sure the orphans of this war feel hope that someone cares. By these actions those whom might have strayed to evil have at least a chance to follow the laws, and become good citizens. For us to vent for long periods like this only digs deeper the wounds we have inflicted upon any of the innocent out there. I feel your depth, but there is too much to do out there. I am focusing on foundations we can build upon. If I succeed we will have a much firmer land under our feet.

Zat

If I can help, you know you need only ask. I will take the advice given here. I'll accept Joquin's and the Nobility's advice that it was indeed the ONLY way. I will try to look to the future of the land we can now rebuild, and I will see if there are any who actualy can be saved. I'll keep my fears to myself if that is the concensus, but I do still wish to hear others thoughts becasue perhapes someone else has a veiw we haven't considered.
Amaranthus

What's done is done. The dice have been cast and for good or ill, Ashbury is safe for now from an implaceable foe. We should be turning our attention to look for future threats against Icenia. Let us study the important things this war can teach us, the tactics, the strategy and the fighting. Why did Icenian forces lose so much and how do we better prepare for such foes? Why was the Dominion so successful and what lessons can be extracted from them? There is always something to be learned.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance,
Laguna Hallik

Casting blame serves no one. We were all a part of this, and I feel we are all equally involved. I am glad that I will no longer hear of the atrocities commited by their army. Reflecting upon the actions we have taken is an important process of understanding the motives behind our actions and ensuring that we do not begin to turn from the path of light. I am not saying that Icenia is evil, nor am I saying that we are headed down that path. However, I feel that if we do not critically examine such a choice there is the potential for that to happen. The evil that was not redeemable is killed, it is gone. I do not know that there was any other choice or path. I trust what Amaranthus has told me before this past gather, that the common man in the Roet Empire was not always the same as the military or it's leaders. I watched a griffon which knew no other life, be captured by Icenia and shown there could be another way. Surely it took time and much effort, time and effort we may well not have nor wished to use on the small percentage of Roets who could have been saved. The fact that it would likely been nearly impossible to get to those potentially redeemable souls and would have cost thousands of lives on our side, may very well mean this was the only choice. I am saddened by the loss of those who may have only been what they were because they saw no other life, but yes I am assuaged that our kinsman will no longer be tortured and killed in horrific ways.

In service,
-Gwendara Alanik
Seneschal of the Stormblades

I suppose what I mean in all of this is I will not rejoice over such a choice being made. Maybe I am naieve for believing Amaranthus, that there were some in the cities that would have been able to be saved. And perhaps even if they were, and they did not want to live the way they were in the end they were slaves to their own government. I think if we don't have the courage to ask these questions, to look at our act and examine it, then we stand the risk of becoming a populace and a nation that follows blindly. There is a fine line between examining and sewing dissention. I am not trying to be overly critical and my initial words were harsh and blinded by the pain in my mind.

In Service,
-Gwendara Alanik

When one chooses to abide by the laws of a society, one condones its practices.

By staying, these fallen that you mourn for made their choice.

There is always a way out, if one chooses to seek it.

-Tieran

I suppose then, if I understand the Roet Empire correctly, those that did not want to live that way would have been put to death for not following their government. There was no option for dissention there. In that, then, we gave them what their government would have and also removed a great evil and blight from the land. This kind of understanding is why I look to hear the opinions of others. While I will still not be happy or rejoice that the choice was made as it was nor do I know that I will ever truly and fully support such a decision, at least I will perhaps find some peace in the words of a few of you here.

Duty and Honor,
-Gwendara Alanik

You have got to be f*#kin kidding me...
Another enemy lies dead and vanquished, another victory for Icenia as well as many other nations and people who came through the mist and by boat to aid in this war....

I will not speak for others who played their part in this. But as for my part and duty as Lt. pushing forward through it all, keeping the Icenian banner high, and watching brothers die. Now that victory has come, I can truly rest my head for a bit in calmness and clarity, to find my elysium at the end of this war, in my dreams I may part with my fallen, knowing their glorious deaths are avenged.... I have to listen to more "friends" f$&ckin bickering and speaking of "grey areas" of dos and dont's on how to fight a war and "what not" to do when vanquishing a necromantic army.... Give it a rest for F%^K sake....

Huzzah for victory, and woe to the vanquished! I'll be in town next month to share drinks.

Vae V ictus..

-Lt. Ithica

Death only comes if indoctrination failed, and their methods of indoctrination where very successful. Torture and mental abilities when combined can do terrible and amazing things to a mind. In the end those who are not broken beyond repair would serve becasue they would feel its the only way of life that makes sence anymore. If you hurt someone enough, for long enough, you can make them think anything. I remember an exercise I went through and was taught with 4 candles, and the subject was told there were five. All they had to do to get food, or water, was say there was five lights. It wasn't true, but after enough time, you break, and I swear to you eventualy all you see is five lights. Its like that, but tword life in general. At first they serve because it stops the pain. Then they serve becasue it makes sence. In the end you would find yourself serving becasue its how you maintain what you have, and its the only life you can remember.

I thought that if that cycle was broken maybe some of them would see the light. I couldnt guarentee it tho, when the Nobility asked. I can't gaurentee it now. Its just something I feel, and as I stated before it bothered me due to the scope of what I helped to acheive. Its like the screams of that moment woke up parts of me I burried to hide amoung our enemies and was suddenly and deeply shaken by what had occured. I wasn't trying to cast blame or start fights, I just needed to speek my mind and hear what others had to say. I explained what I did about the comon people becasue I had seen it, and felt it was needed to be known, even if it wasn't easy to hear or even if it seemed like something we didn't want to think about. Gwendara put it best.
"Reflecting upon the actions we have taken is an important process of understanding the motives behind our actions and ensuring that we do not begin to turn from the path of light. I am not saying that Icenia is evil, nor am I saying that we are headed down that path. However, I feel that if we do not critically examine such a choice there is the potential for that to happen."
I hold the Nobility of this Kingdom in the highest regards. I just needed to hear these various veiws and work this out.
Thank you everyone.
Amaranthus

I suppose my conscience makes me ask these questions for an action of this scope, and I have no doubt that the Army was evil. The necromancers were evil and needed to die and of that I do not waver. I watched friends die and suffered my own death at their hands once. I did not sit back and shirk my duty nor hide behind words; I stood toe to toe with you on many occasions. I held Fairedale together with a handful of adventurers when Orlantha Reidic sought to tear it asunder. If you do not consider me a friend, Ithica, because of the questions I ask, because what we did killed more than just a necromantic army, then I am sorry I am not who you thought I was.

I thank you Amaranthus for your knowledge of their empire and for enlightening me. You most likely will not hear from me in dream again for quite some time. I must go back to my task at hand.

-Gwendara Alanik

Best of luck in your task, until I see you again. Stay safe.
Amaranthus

In conversation with Ren I posed the following question: "If killing every Rotes biata, including their children and non-combatants, is justified in order to stop the Dominion, then would it have been justified to kill ALL Biata on Tar Navaria in order to stop the Dominion?" Ren's reaction was that the second option would NOT have been viable, even though it still follows the adage of the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few. I echo Amaranthus, "Where is the line that we will not cross?"

Before Sunday morning I was completely in agreement with Amaranthus that the destruction of the stone was not an action to be condoned. The fact that children and non-combatatants would be killed along with those of the Rotes military was of paramount importance to me. After meditating most of Saturday eve and on Sunday before the battle, I came to realize that although there were aspects of this act that I did not feel were "right", it must still be carried out. As Ren said to Amaranthus and myself, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". All who were present at the stone's destruction willingly took part in an act that killed not only soldiers but children and common folk as well. I felt the overwhelming pain and anguish in that stone as soon as we arrived at Starkenstein. That pain, and the pain of Icenia's people, had to be assuaged. Destroying the stone was the only way. Though "good" will come of it, there is also much that is not wholly "good". It was a necessary act to stop a tyrannical evil, but we should not turn a blind eye to the less than savory parts.

I will meditate on this frequently.

Telokh Amdo

Most nights I ain't got time for no dreams. This is the first rest I've had in a couple o' days since what transpired. The word 'bittersweet' don't come close to describin' this victory.

I'll try n' be brief. Amaranthus, you're my family just as much as Tinder, or my squad...that's the truth of it. I don't want you to let your mind be bothered any more than it already is. Let your thoughts rest Amaranthus and be calm. You have earned calm.

Amaranthus, no matter where we came from, we are soldiers. We are trained for everything, even for this.

The solace I find is the fact that there ain't gonna be none o' those rotes teachin' our youngins things like necromancy or slavery. Also, none o' their youngins will learn it neither. Maybe they could have been redeemed, but it does not matter now, we will never know. I don't see no sense in frettin' o'er the unknown. No more brothers and sisters in arms are gonna have their spirits weakened any more by the scourge that was the Dominion.

I suggest we focus on tomorrow, my friends. There's always gonna be a battle that needs good men and women to fight it, and I would fight any battle along side those who were present at the Battle for Fairdale.

In service,

Man-at-Arms Flint Boulderback
Vex Squad, Legion D - Rock O' Trellheim

So maybe I don't understand what's going on. I was told that many of your leaders swore oaths to destroy the Dominion. And now it has been done. Whether or not you agree with the end result, those oaths were fulfilled. I think you should consider the matter closed because if you dwell on what has happened you will only bring more hardship to yourselves. If everything I have heard lately is to be trusted, then years ago you knew this could have been a result so looking over your shoulder at it now will solve nothing.

Bjorn of the Bear Tribe

Amaranthus,
With all due respect, sometimes it takes more to make one see five lights than torture and lack of nourishment. In the end, it is a battle of wills; it would not surprise me if the Dominion in turn enslaved their own people, as well as other races. At times, enslavement is the -only- thing that will bring down those who are strong of will and spirit.

-Aislynn

Back