The value of game days

Derek Ironhammer;18538 said:
The less you phys rep something the less people are going to feel immersed in the environment. The whole "on the edge of a great city" aspect to Nero seattle has long been something I disliked.
See, I am the other way around. I hate the fact that so many nero chapters seem to be in the middle of nowhere. It actally makes nero feel more like a joke to me. Look at it this way, the PCs IG are some of the most powerfull and overpowered people in an area. They make huge amounts of money, have high skills, and seem to be able to support a standard of living (on average) that would make a serf blanch. But.... they chose to live in little towns.
In my view, your view of nero is limiting, and mostly fits combat PCs. Political PCs, merchant PCs, craft PCs, ect seem to fall in the wayside.

obcidian;18556 said:
Last time I checked, this was actually required by HQ (but it's been a while since I checked). I know you have to have descriptions of events, maybe gamedays are more loose. Either way, I agree that it would be a good idea. While I'm generally too far from the regular site to make games, there were a number of ones that I specifically came to in the past because of their write-ups on the website. It also helps the plot team get their juices flowing way ahead of time when they already have an idea of what they're expected to be running.

Before the turn of the year they were listed on the website, and I know I tryed to do a writeup about a week before the gameday (for mine). However I think since its still jan the year to come is still being planned out. So I suspect the gameday scedual will be posted sometime soon.

Well, I have found playing a merchant can be fun, and bryan has showen what can happen when you play the political game. I think people just need to open their minds and look around and see what they can do. Playing a merchant at game days can be fun, a good way to make revinue, and do business, they just have to be prepaired to fight or run.

Aaron Tyrson;18565 said:
Well, I have found playing a merchant can be fun, and bryan has showen what can happen when you play the political game. I think people just need to open their minds and look around and see what they can do. Playing a merchant at game days can be fun, a good way to make revinue, and do business, they just have to be prepaired to fight or run.

I dont mean you cant in the current setting. I mean the edge of the city, or part of a large city setting help the non combat charicters.

On the subject of game days, personally, I love them. Its a quick way for people to get their NERO fix and people don't have to take an entire weekend off to play. Its a good way for new players to check out the game and see if they are interested and it absolutely can be used to advance plot.

Now, I don't know yet what the right number of weekend events is. I plan to figure it out, tho, and I think my nimber is going to be higher than 4.

But it really comes down to this: To each their own. If a staff is willing to run game days, people who want to attend will. Same with running more than 4 events a year.

I don't see why people get so bent up about it, you know? It's a game folks, enjoy it.

Very true, it's a game and should be remembered as such. Speaking of which, I may have a mod going on Saturday (not sure yet) and if so would you be able to attend?

Aziraphel;18571 said:
On the subject of game days, personally, I love them. Its a quick way for people to get their NERO fix and people don't have to take an entire weekend off to play. Its a good way for new players to check out the game and see if they are interested and it absolutely can be used to advance plot.

Now, I don't know yet what the right number of weekend events is. I plan to figure it out, tho, and I think my nimber is going to be higher than 4.

But it really comes down to this: To each their own. If a staff is willing to run game days, people who want to attend will. Same with running more than 4 events a year.

I don't see why people get so bent up about it, you know? It's a game folks, enjoy it.

Thanks for the invite, but I live in California. Sadly, I have to pass.

Cerulean Jax;18572 said:
Very true, it's a game and should be remembered as such. Speaking of which, I may have a mod going on Saturday (not sure yet) and if so would you be able to attend?

DOH!!! no offense meant, but i keep confusing you with Alabaster, i think *heh*..

Aziraphel;18573 said:
Thanks for the invite, but I live in California. Sadly, I have to pass.

Lol.. first it was alavatar.. now Aziraphel..

I can probably come.. depending on where it is. Once we find out ill let vanyel know.

Well if you wouldn't be so danged confusing *grin*

Alabaster;18575 said:

I can probably come.. depending on where it is. Once we find out ill let vanyel know.

Kauss;18563 said:
See, I am the other way around. I hate the fact that so many nero chapters seem to be in the middle of nowhere. It actally makes nero feel more like a joke to me. Look at it this way, the PCs IG are some of the most powerfull and overpowered people in an area. They make huge amounts of money, have high skills, and seem to be able to support a standard of living (on average) that would make a serf blanch. But.... they chose to live in little towns.
In my view, your view of nero is limiting, and mostly fits combat PCs. Political PCs, merchant PCs, craft PCs, ect seem to fall in the wayside.

I agree that Mark's view of NERO is limiting. But it's a very good and necessary limitation. It doesn't prevent things like politics, merchants, and crafts. It just makes them more have to be more realistic. When you're "on the edge of a city" you're not playing NERO any more. You're playing Minds Eye Theater. NERO is designed to be physrepped and immersive. It's not designed to be highly imaginative.
When games are run where more exists than you physrep you run into the major problems that many players had in the seattle game. No one know what existed, where it was, and how accessible it was except for a small group of people that were very close to plot. There were estates, towers, keeps, docks, and all sorts of things that people were interacting with that didn't really exist. That's not NERO, that's tabletop. If you want to play a shipping kingpin and own several hundred guards, find a dark ages game.
Nero is based around the idea that everything should be presented in game. I don't care if your character has 10 personal bodyguards unless they show up in game. If they don't show up he might as well have 10,000,000 bodyguards. It won't make a difference unless they exist in game. Mark's view is limiting because you can't ride a dragon, or hide in a keep. But it's more fun because everything you need to interact with is real. If someone is holding a sword, they're holding a sword. If they're standing over there... they're standing over there. If they have coin, it jingles. If they trap their house, there's a trap at their house. These are the tenants that NERO is based on. It's not designed to be a game where "anything is possible". Inspire of it's motto you're not supposed to be everything you can't be. You're supposed to be all that you can be in game.

What I am seeing in this thread is too much authority on "what NERO is supposed to be". You know what NERO is supposed to be? It's supposed to be whatever the chapter owner wants it to be. There is no rule by community; NERO is not a shared resource. That $XX you pay at the start of your event buys you a weekend of entertainment, not the right to inflict your opinion of how the owner is supposed to run the game. It's one thing to present your personal opinion, but when you go so far as to present your opinions as the only valid truth then you make it much harder to consider your standpoint.

I'm sick and tired of hearing the words "NERO is supposed to be" from everyone *but* the people actually running the game.

Done.
A Module is basically a two hour long adventure for approximately six players.
A module has a definite objective and entry point. You and a few of your friends will have several encounters along the way to your goal that will be necessary for you to complete in order to achieve your quest.
Pretty definitive source, maybe?
I've got one for 'what is Nero,' too, but it's too big to quote.

All these A names get confusing.

Alabaster, Alavatar, Aziraphel. The "A List" of NERO.

Alabaster;18575 said:

Masticon;18583 said:
I agree that Mark's view of NERO is limiting. But it's a very good and necessary limitation. It doesn't prevent things like politics, merchants, and crafts. It just makes them more have to be more realistic. When you're "on the edge of a city" you're not playing NERO any more. You're playing Minds Eye Theater. NERO is designed to be physrepped and immersive. It's not designed to be highly imaginative.
When games are run where more exists than you physrep you run into the major problems that many players had in the seattle game. No one know what existed, where it was, and how accessible it was except for a small group of people that were very close to plot. There were estates, towers, keeps, docks, and all sorts of things that people were interacting with that didn't really exist. That's not NERO, that's tabletop. If you want to play a shipping kingpin and own several hundred guards, find a dark ages game.
Nero is based around the idea that everything should be presented in game. I don't care if your character has 10 personal bodyguards unless they show up in game. If they don't show up he might as well have 10,000,000 bodyguards. It won't make a difference unless they exist in game. Mark's view is limiting because you can't ride a dragon, or hide in a keep. But it's more fun because everything you need to interact with is real. If someone is holding a sword, they're holding a sword. If they're standing over there... they're standing over there. If they have coin, it jingles. If they trap their house, there's a trap at their house. These are the tenants that NERO is based on. It's not designed to be a game where "anything is possible". Inspire of it's motto you're not supposed to be everything you can't be. You're supposed to be all that you can be in game.

This is simply your view of NERO, not the end all and be all. No where in the rules does it say you cant be at the edge of a city, and it even has rules and prices in this edition for buying things you cant physrep. The simple fact is you dont like to deal with things IG that you cant see and touch, and thats fine. But thats not the end all and be all of the game. I dont think HQ(to take an example) Builds all the buildings that are IG, forms a physrep for glowing ball of fire in the sky, and many other things. Sometimes the game goes into the realm of imagination with trapings to provide a framework.
Actally from what I can tell, we are far from the 1st chapter to have things like castles and carvans and the like that are plot controled. I know at least one other chapter does becouse I got to look over the rules before ours was started (Our rules on the matter that is.)

BTW I call bull on the statment "major problems that many players had in the seattle game" There were some players who had problems with seattle's game, just like there were some players who had problems with NW and oregon's game and event people who have problems with HQs game. Diffrent chapters for diffrent folks. However a lot of the players liked the way things worked and said so, often. Just becouse you and some people you know had a problem does not make it either major or many.

On the matter of caravans and ships and ect, all I plan to say at this time is there were a few posts about them, but they were also still being worked on. If you wanted to know about them IG, you could ask IG. If you wanted to know more OOC, you could have asked OOC. It wasnt restricted to a small group who knew plot, it was only being used by people who asked about it(Large diffrence).

Kauss;18588 said:
BTW I call bull on the statment "major problems that many players had in the seattle game" There were some players who had problems with seattle's game, just like there were some players who had problems with NW and oregon's game and event people who have problems with HQs game. Diffrent chapters for diffrent folks. However a lot of the players liked the way things worked and said so, often. Just becouse you and some people you know had a problem does not make it either major or many.

I understand this statement to mean "Only people I don't like had a problem." Just because you don't value someone opinion doesn't mean there aren't many of them.

Clearly this topic has spawned quite a few strong opinions, please keep in mind that we all have idea as to what creates a good NERO atmosphere and game. I think it is healthy to voice opinions and discuss them, but I will warn that I have already removed posts which are inflamatory and/or off topic, and I will do so again should civility not rule.

now, as to the topic at hand -

The Crossroads as designed and as it is now is a thriving port community. Where the players are is several hours walk from the actual outskirts of the city. Think of walking from the event site to the edges of Olympia to get to the actual city. Between the adventurer's quarter and the city are farms, noble estates, etc.

As to mods, we tend to run a mix of what Matt gave as the definition of "mod" and a more nebulous definition involving RP. A mod can be both things and still fit that definition well. A definied entry point could be Papa Dayeva coming into town, or farmer Phil or any other NPC, or it could be mage x coming in to town to hire a small team to retrieve his magic pants.

Faire days (or game days) are a setting which usually contains one or more mods and can advance a long term story within the setting or can be self contained. Again, we tend to do both. With the smaller attendance at game days, it does tend to favor the smaller mods and not the far reaching epic battles which are found at the events.

The thing I love about NERO is the fact that it can be many things for everyone. Some people enjoy the well defined module, some people love the political and social interaction of an RP mod. With around 35-40 people coming to an event, there is room for all of that and we do attempt to provide it. Also, some people will enjoy the more intimate nature of the game days. They offer an opportunity to advance the plot as well as personal interactions through mod requests (these do need to be made in advance with plot, and you do have to provide the NPCs).

Masticon;18589 said:
I understand this statement to mean "Only people I don't like had a problem." Just because you don't value someone opinion doesn't mean there aren't many of them.

You understand it incorrectly then. There are people at nero who liked the game who I hardly knew, and people I disliked socaly who liked the game as well. I (while running gamedays) spoke to a number of people about plot and plots and how things were run so that I could look into issues. I understand you had issues, and still have issues with some game things. However your voice isnt the only voice, nor is my voice the only voice.

Back