Thrown Weapon Information

markusdark said:
Morai said:
So then wouldn't a foam frisbee or playing card which is only 1/2" thick be in violation of that rule?
~Joe

In violation - yes. However, local marshals have the right to pass weapons on a case by case basis. If deemed safe enough, they will allow them.

Why? It's diameter is larger than the minimum.

I'll give some different shapes a try. I'm PCing this weekend so I'll have plenty of chance to use them. I'll make a couple boomerangs for you, Mike. Just to see how they turn out.

Laguna Hallik said:
I'll give some different shapes a try. I'm PCing this weekend so I'll have plenty of chance to use them. I'll make a couple boomerangs for you, Mike. Just to see how they turn out.

Check out this website for some real boomerang construction tips.

Thanks for the research and development. I'll award you some Mike points (can't be gobbies, sorry) when I see how they turn out.

Telokh_Amdo said:
markusdark said:
Morai said:
So then wouldn't a foam frisbee or playing card which is only 1/2" thick be in violation of that rule?
~Joe

In violation - yes. However, local marshals have the right to pass weapons on a case by case basis. If deemed safe enough, they will allow them.

Why? It's diameter is larger than the minimum.

I believe the actual rules state that it needs to be a min 3" in all directions. So Length, Width and Height. a 1.5" thick disc fails.

Yes, they want you to throw only spheres or larger items that would be so big, they'd be too heavy to throw safely. :p

I am PRAYING that the thrown weapon requirements are being looked at/revamped.

Actual rule from Rulebook, p. 32: "Rocks and Thrown Weapons must be soft sculpted with no core material. They can be dagger shaped, star shaped or any othre shape. The longest dimension cannot exceed 18 inches and the smallest dimension must be at least 3 inches in diameter."

Personally, I'd just go with the single disc. As I said, it is up to a weapon's marshal to pass or fail them and I don't see one being anal enough to fail such a pillow of a weapon. :)

Very true, the discs honestly couldn't hurt a fly and they'll probably fly slow enough that if you can't block it you deserve to get hit by it.

I use a big black Meat Cleaver and an oversize butter knife for my thrown weapons. They both seem to throw pretty well but you have to have some place to put them when your walking around. Otherwise you might get caught in a sword fight with a couple of knifes in your hands. Also I know mine do not meet the size requirement but it was ruled that as long as they can't fit into an eye socket that they are good to go.

Telokh_Amdo said:
Actual rule from Rulebook, p. 32: "Rocks and Thrown Weapons must be soft sculpted with no core material. They can be dagger shaped, star shaped or any othre shape. The longest dimension cannot exceed 18 inches and the smallest dimension must be at least 3 inches in diameter."

Here is a little secret. If my memory is correct the 3 inch rule was only supposed to be for rocks (so you wouldn't see weapon tip sized rocks) but everything else was supposed to be 2 inches. That is why 2 inches is listed in the chart.

Michael Hynes

Any tip that has the potential of fitting into an eye socket would cause a throwing weapon or any weapon for that matter to fail safety inspection.

It looks really cool.

But it'd fail on the tip.

Even if you let me poke you in the eye with it.

I wouldn't fail it for the tip since it would require an exactly perfect throw on the point to actually go into the eye socket. Meanwhile any hit with a spell packet will enter the eye socket. I would, however, check the taping of the tip so that it couldn't scratch the cornea (no folded corners of tape) which this dagger doesn't seem to have.

But if the tip isn't going to end up in their eye anyway, than why bother paying special attention to how the tip is taped?

I said that it would require a perfect hit to do it. I didn't say it wouldn't.

The human body is much more resiliant than I think many people are giving it credit. The human eye can blink in 3/10th of a second. It would require something travelling at an extremely high rate of speed to bypass the eyelid and actually reach the eye.

Open cell foam striking the closed eyelid will compress upon impact, absorbing the kenetic force of the blow. There is no such absorption done by a beanbag filled with birdseed. As long as the point of the weapon isn't 'sharp', there won't be damage.

For goodness sakes people, even Nerf doesn't require 2" on its tips.

But nerf also either tells people not to shoot at other people, or gives them a pair of (pathetic) safty glasses

Fine, you win. Make all throwing weapons a minimum 2" sphere. I'll also now support a motion to replace all weapons with rock-paper-scissors so that there is absolutely no chance of injury.

Yes, I am being sarcastic. Alliance is a physically active game. There are plenty of safety precautions taken but there will always be a risk of injury. However you stand more of a chance injuring your eye due to a packet or a branch than you do with a thrown weapon made of open cell foam that is under 2" in diameter.

It's safer than a spell packet, and should pass in my general opinion. That said, for the purposes of Alliance, it's deadly and will cause women to scream and faint at the mere sight of it, babies to cry, and brawny men to foul their underclothes.

Why would the tip cause the weapon to fail, but the perpendicular corner of pommel not? That's even pointier than the tip!

Back