v0.10 ...if we did v1.4 instead

I haven't seen these mentioned yet:

Keep the removal of Read/write.

Condense Florentine and Two Weapons into the same skill. Consider removing Small Weapon from the game entirely and just having short/long/two-handed weapons.

Keep First Aid working on Disease.

Keep Waylay as a blade skill in recognition that no latex weapon has a legal Waylay tip.

Keep the new armor layering rules, as they make better and more affordable options available to players.

Implement some variation on the Flurry rule, even if just a recognition that if a player cannot understand your damage call, or are hit before it finishes, they will not take the damage.

Keep DA and Magic/elemental/earth auras as enchants. Restrict them to users with the appropriate build bought skills so these rituals reinforce their shtick rather than letting other classes get major build equivalency.

Keep the Barbarian, ME, Sarr, and Gypsy changes, all are good.

Remove Love and Love 9, they are too easily abused to make players uncomfortable and cover for harassment. Require Greater Fey Curse and other abilities that can duplicate this effect never do so and only be used under direct plot supervision.

I left Warrior's Incantation off because I thought it was redundant to Memory Strike, and Memory Strike acts effectively like a Spell Store. I didn't even think about potentially handing it off.

The aura's I made 10 minutes like currently in 0.10e because it effectively makes them activatable Elemental/Magic/Earth/Chaos Blades and does not invalidate the Spells (which cannot be scrolled/potioned). Honestly, I don't care one way or another, I selected them as it seemed like a direction folks / owners were okay with.

I missed one: Go with the trap and lock changes. Remove ledgerdemain as a useless skill, rate locks and traps in levels of Create Trap. Remove actually picking locks and traps and replace with a minimum CT level and time count, so this iconic rogue skill is based on the character sheet and not solely oog skill.

Last edited:
@MaxIrons That seems fine, even better trade off with not being able to swing normal/silver. Less tracking 10 mins is always better imo, cause lets face it, we are guessing most the time.

@Alavatar Memory strike is like a spellstore were as Warriors incantation lets you do it on the fly out of memory. They are pretty functionally different. The latter is something I have wanted as a templar for over a decade. Always thought it should be high magic for hybrids.

Damage Aura
  1. May activate 1/d to swing with the Magic carrier for 10 minutes

This is a MI already. Called "Magic Strike"

Magic Strike (Item [Weapon]) - This Ritual (which must be cast on a weapon) grants its owner the ability to channel the Magic carrier through that weapon when activated. Once activated, this carrier may be used for any number of weapon swings from that character within the next ten minutes. Once the ten minute duration passes, another charge must be spent to reactivate it.

Oak of the arcane variant that lets you swing for some percentage of wand damage (but as a weapon delivery, not elemental).

Staffs are garbage and this would get people to actually use them in melee occasionally.

Oak of the arcane variant that lets you swing for some percentage of wand damage (but as a weapon delivery, not elemental).

Staffs are garbage and this would get people to actually use them in melee occasionally.

Funny, they get used heavily in the chapters I go to. Heavy enough that scholar groups get termed "staff meetings" pretty often.

I like the idea. I'd make the tweek though, that instead of swinging for more damage it automatically allows you to swing for magic, like a +0 DA.

Last edited:
Funny, they get used heavily in the chapters I go to. Heavy enough that scholar groups get termed "staff meetings" pretty often.
If it's just a culture thing, by all means leave it as is. I don't know anybody who even has a staff built.

If I were to go to 1.4 right now, I would only make the following changes. 60 rit limit; remove the following rituals: Spirit Store, Expanded Enchantment, Greater Wand, Damage Aura; remove High Magic Bane and Spirit Store; modify elemental burst so it doesn't add to wand damage; do the spell changes per 2.0.10; change the following rituals to 2.0.10 versions: Monster Slayer, Race Reaver.

As to the response of DA being okay, I really don't like the idea of a ritual that duplicates at a minimum 45 build, up to 120 for a scholar.

I’m in the same boat on these being the only necessary changes.

As suggested, I would only add having DA switch to a plus zero magic aura, and a ritual limit. 40 rits would be great.

Are there really that few people who think Earth Wands/Relics aren’t necessary changes?

I didn't bring them up because I assumed we were pretty well agreed that they're cool and good as a general idea, but the implementation in .10 isn't really doing it for anyone.

I mean, personally, I have zero problem exactly duplicating Wands, especially if we're moving from Earth carrier to Healing carrier. If that much straight free packet damage isn't a scaling problem on the field for C casters, then the additional healing is unlikely to be one as well.

IMO 1 point of healing is way stronger than 1 point of damage.

C Wands are mostly trash until you have 4-5 pillars to throw. Earth wands would need some heavy limitations or very low charge count if they did anything healing related in combat.

I would rather wands/staves to do something like increase spell efficacy than give bonus packets. That way you avoid super high level caster's throwing superior arrows and ignoring evocation (for 0 build), and you give low level casters a reason to have one.

Options like: x bonus to elemental/healing calls, superior incantations, can rethrow 1 missed packet per spell.

Alternatively just scrap wand mechanics all together, but make them the only target for certain caster rituals.

Wands are problematic as is.

I think Earth should just get a wand equivalent with different elements. It is the only way it will be balanced. And gives earth casters something extra to do. That is the biggest issue for me. For just being celestial you get twice and many packets to throw in a day.

I think Earth should just get a wand equivalent with different elements. It is the only way it will be balanced. And gives earth casters something extra to do. That is the biggest issue for me. For just being celestial you get twice and many packets to throw in a day.
I respectfully disagree. I think there already is an imbalance between Celestials and Casters in terms of their party roles. Keep in mind that Earth casters are always going to have a place in a group because they are the only real healers besides potions. Celestials and Earth Casters have essentially the same takeouts too. The only thing that Celestials have over Earth is that they can add damage to a fighter which fighters are taking care of for the most part at least in the chapter I've played in. Celestial Casters doing more damage makes sense to me as it will give them utility so people won't think that they're stupid or not team players because they're not going earth.

I respectfully disagree. I think there already is an imbalance between Celestials and Casters in terms of their party roles. Keep in mind that Earth casters are always going to have a place in a group because they are the only real healers besides potions. Celestials and Earth Casters have essentially the same takeouts too. The only thing that Celestials have over Earth is that they can add damage to a fighter which fighters are taking care of for the most part at least in the chapter I've played in. Celestial Casters doing more damage makes sense to me as it will give them utility so people won't think that they're stupid or not team players because they're not going earth.

1) Having Wands isn’t a minor thing. The tone of your comment “the only thing they have over Earth is the ability to add damage” indicates it’s minor. It’s actually pretty major. It’s literally hundreds of damage per day that’s added when you get low-highbie status.

2) They also get exclusive access to Scrolls, which has the pre-req of Read Magic and X Celestial Level slot to use. Potions don’t have such a requirement, which means that an Earth caster is going to have less potions than the equivalent Celestial caster will have scrolls, all other things being equal.

I’ve seen Earth Casters left behind for mods because you only need so much healing, but you can -always- use more damage.

Additionally, “same takeouts” is also wrong. Prison and Paralysis may be compareable in power, but Paralysis has to compete with Purify and Healing, and Death has to compete with Life (plus a lot of things are immune to Death).

Prison ain’t got any such competition.

Additionally, “same takeouts” is also wrong. Prison and Paralysis may be comparable in power, but Paralysis has to compete with Purify and Healing, and Death has to compete with Life (plus a lot of things are immune to Death).

Prison ain’t got any such competition.

Having too many good spells to pick from isn't really an issue, and more or less supports the argument that Earth Casters have a better tree (which is ok! the classes all have their niches in 1.3. 0.10 on the other hand...)

Back