What is your weapon of choice for hunting undead?

James Trotta

Spellsword
Diversity Committee
I need to create a sword with which I can slay as many undead as possible. What do you undead hunters recommend among the following rituals: monster slayer, earth aura, damage aura?

My understanding is that some undead require a damage aura weapon, meaning that a weapon with earth aura will not be useful against the more powerful undead monstrosities. Is this correct or are all undead hurt badly by earth aura weapons?

Sparktet Bone Littlebeard

I 'ave seen necromantic t'ings go unharmed by Eart' magics because of a reverse lifeforce on dheir spirit. Dhese are mos'ly liches and such. For dhe mos' part any of dhe ones your gonna find regularly are harmed doubly wit' an eart' blade.

Depends on what exactly you are hunting Senor Littlebeard. Dhose dhat turn dhemselves into liches willingly or dhose hapless mindless zombie-folk.

Damage aura I t'ink is best all around.

I'll certainly battle liches again and generally speaking I hunt all undead. However it's the most powerful monsters I'm asking about: death knights, ancient vampires, greater liches, and the like.
Marcena said:
Depends on what exactly you are hunting Senor Littlebeard. Dhose dhat turn dhemselves into liches willingly or dhose hapless mindless zombie-folk.

Earth Auras will effect undead as well (if not more effectively than) a damage aura. The additional enchantment of the power of the earth is especially devastating against undead. I have personally used Monster Slayers as well and found it to be especially effective, particularly because I am not especially skilled with a weapon.

If you are a master swordsman, you may want to consider an Earth Aura, if you sword technique is more modest, a heavily enchanted Monster Slayer may be the way to go, as it makes up for a lack of ability with magical enhancements.

-Cedric Fruvous
Sorcerer of Stars

Alot of it really depends on how good of a swordsman you are.

If you don't plan to learn to be any better than say a farmer who picks up a sword for the first time, then you are best off with a monster slayer cast at its greatest difficulty.

If you fancy yourself a warrior then you should get an Earth Aura.

Your best combination (at least for the better combatants) is a Damage Aura and an Earth Aura, as this would allow you to fight both undead and other monsters that require magical weapons to hit with greater effectiveness.

-Tieran

Find Lt. Ithica and use his sword. that thing is a liche slayer.

or at least ask him what he put into it..

-Wizard Nathan

I would like to ecco Tieran that if you are a warrior, an Earth Aura and a Damage Aura are traditionally your best bets. I say traditionally because magics can of course always change and some lands might have the magics different and something might hurt undead more. Before you go off and hunt ancient vampires, I suggest you research the particular vampire you are looking to kill as most that are ancient are harder to kill than by just wielding a SOW. I would also recommend either some Channels or Acitivates with Purifies. I've seen more liches look sad, if that's possible, when purified than anything else. Also, if you are vampire hunting, Solidify in some form is almost required. There are of course so many other things you can do, but I would say that should be your minimum. These ramblings are brought to you by someone who has dabbled in ritual magics once or twice before.

~Sun~

Marcena said:
I 'ave seen necromantic t'ings go unharmed by Eart' magics because of a reverse lifeforce on dheir spirit. Dhese are mos'ly liches and such. For dhe mos' part any of dhe ones your gonna find regularly are harmed doubly wit' an eart' blade.

Damage aura I t'ink is best all around.

How da ya know so much bout ritual magics? Its weird....especially reverse lifeforce...huh. almost like dem jokes ya make are fur real.

Sparket,

Da best weapon one kin use against undead is their brain, and their buddies. Ya set up a beatin circle with a healthy mix a earth auras/damage auras and a bunch of casters with puridy, destructions, and destroy undead... dat seems ta work fur us.

If yar a more adventurous type... ah suggest da followin...

Git a silver blunt headed weapon... and 2 ritual formalists... one earth, one celestial.

From da Earth guy:
Git a damage aura (fur those everyday needs), an earth aura, 2 spellstrike destroy undeads, 2 purifies, and 2 destruction, with 2 cure morts and 2 cloak necromancies (don't ask bout bannin Dramtin get upset about da topic and been moppey all week). and den add a preserve or permanancy ( ill pay ya a lot fur one of those so if ya find one call me ill buy it... or at least I kin cast it fur ya)

From da celestial guy:

Git yar Undead aura thingy...,, a magic storm ( again cuz its usefull against da endless hordes if yar arm gits tired cuz da weapon is sorta heavy)....3 bane binding... ( lots a tings like ta bind.... den life sucks... make sure yar carefull. Oh and dont forgit yar preserve...

Now ya have a great undead fighting weapon....

but like ah said... all dat cloaks and damage doohiekies in da world can't save ya from a decenly smart lich or worse a vampire... dis why ya needs friends dat are always happy ta help ya and willin ta give ya a life spell when da undead find a way round yar defenses... oh an nothing substitutes good practice.

Ah kant ever be an undead hunter no more but ah kin always help teach people bout it pigeon me if ya need advice on tactics and stuff... ah like rememberin...

Jehan

ah yeah ah forgot... memorize at least 5-6 solidifies...tanks fur reminding meh Jezebel.

Jehan-

I have to ask, why can you never be an undead hunter any more?

-Tieran

I would recommend a Monster Slayer over a Damage Aura, actually. Monster Slayer: Undead is twice as effective as a Damage Aura, but only useful against Undead (obviously).

If you can get an Earth Aura on top of either a Damage Aura or a Monster Slayer that would make the weapon significantly more powerful, damage-wise.

<<How da ya know so much bout ritual magics? Its weird....especially reverse lifeforce...huh. almost like dem jokes ya make are fur real.>>

Nye, dhe jokes I tell are to make mi friends laugh. I know about a lot of t'ings. As for ritual magics, I jus' listen to dhe right people and take notes.

I wonder why Sparktet has nye considered Spellstrikes to do what he needs done. I s'pose would be effective too.

Can ya tell me who ya picked dat interesting tid bit up to? or ya just gunna chalk it up ta learning it from "here and there"?

knowledge about ritual scrolls is really tough stuff ta pick up marcena yet ya seem not ta struggle at all... yar really really smart.

AllianceCHI said:
Can ya tell me who ya picked dat interesting tid bit up to? or ya just gunna chalk it up ta learning it from "here and there"?

knowledge about ritual scrolls is really tough stuff ta pick up marcena yet ya seem not ta struggle at all... yar really really smart.

You are dhe firs' person in a long while to say dhat about me, Je'an. :lol:

But I learned from mi opa mos' of it. I learned about lots of rituals from him growing up. Ot'er stuff I jus' listen to people talk about dhen go do research on my own. I guess dhat's how I learn anyt'ing I know.

Guess it be one of my few redeeming qualities. I have a knack for finding stuff out dhat I wanna know.

I'm mostly after a carrier that can do as much damage to as many undead as possible. My concern was that some of the more powerful undead may not be affected by an earth aura whereas a damage aura would work against even the most heinous undead monsters.

I don't see how spellstrikes would be as effective as the correct blade. Can you explain Marcena?

I have never seen an undead that was unaffected by weapons with an earth aura. Not once.

A damage aura would be more utilitarian against all monsters, but if you are strictly hunting undead with this weapon, Earth is the most powerful by far. With nearly all of the undead I've ever faced, the earth aura is so powerful that it's almost like you're swinging twice as hard.

I've used a combination of an earth aura on my bow and serious vorpal coatings on my arrows to great effect when it comes to undead.

Goodwoman Ezri is correct, barring some odd artifact matching power level or other highly unusual oddity in an undead, an Earth Aura will always effect it (and greatly effect it at that!) I surmise that if such a wildly rare and unheard of theoretical creature that would appear and be unaffected by an Earth Blade it would be equally immune to a Damage Aura or Monster Slayer as well.

Obviously, an Earth Aura and Monster Slayer both upon a weapon would be most effective, however this would require two Preserve or Permanence scrolls, likely a prohibitive cost, and the services of either two powerful ritualists or one incredibly powerful ritualist with mastery in both schools of magic.

As has been mentioned there are also a great many additional powers that you could put into the weapon to be an effective undead slayer (Solidifies, curing spells, Purify, etc), however as far as powers on the blade itself, Slayer and Earth Aura are your best bet.

-Cedric Fruvous

I 'ave seen a great many necromantic t'ings nye be harmed by dhe Eart' magics. Eef he be talking liches and dhe vampires of old, I do nye know dhat a monster slayer on him weapon would be so affective 'gainst dhis.

I like spellstrikes. You do nye have to be so great wit' dhe weapons and you have so much to chose from.

For those of you who question an undead who is unaffected by Earth magic I can indeed confirm that such beings do exist. In fact, a few months ago my fellow adventuring colleagues and I were attacked by a Lich who had cast a Reverse Lifeforce on himself, thus nullifying our Earth enchanted blades.

A smart Lich would cast a Reverse Lifeforce on himself as soon as he can extend it. That not only confuses adventurers and military, but also causes those same adventurers and military to heal the Lich in an effort to cast Earth magic at it. It has been done, and I suspect it will continue to occur. That is why I recommend an Undead Slayer enchantment first and foremost which augments your weapon with magic twice as powerful as a Damage Aura against Undead. But, then again, as a Celestial Formalist I may be a bit biased.

Regards,
Alavatar Peece
Red Wizard of the Crossroads.

Back