Wide spread questions

Vampire Charm and Charm act differently. Vampire Charm works like an Enslavement, "These commands are absolute and are much more powerful than a Charm spell; instead, it is comparable to an Enslavement. If a vampire tells you to commit suicide, you will do so unquestioningly. If you are asked to cast necromancy, you will" (ARB pg. 125). As such, if the Vampire doesn't immediately tell you differently, you can most assuredly cover your ears, scream out that you are charmed, chug a Purify, whatever.

Charm, however, makes you best friends with the charmer and, as such, you cannot do any of the above and will, most likely, get very irate with anyone who tells you that your new Best Friend is anything but your lifelong soul-mate, "This spell makes the victim view the caster as his or her best friend in the world. No amount of logic or role-playing will convince the victim that they are indeed charmed, and any order given will be justified and make perfect sense in the mind of the victim. The victim will not remember the casting of the spell" (ARB pg. 112).

The downfall of Charm is that, unlike Vampire Charm, it cannot force you to act against Race or innate personality, eg. High Ogres won't Cast Necromancy, Mystics won't take away Free Will, etc.

If you suspect someone is beginning a vampire charm however, you can look away and ignore them, which I think is more what you were asking.
New questions: Is it possible to make a legal scythe phys rep, and if so what skill would be bought to use it, and how much would it cost to buy a tag for it?

Oh so I should have been hugging him and giving him presents. Darn, Wait so my best friend just betrayed me, Wow Gorka should have broke much earlyer.

deoman said:
New questions: Is it possible to make a legal scythe phys rep, and if so what skill would be bought to use it, and how much would it cost to buy a tag for it?
To the first: Not really. To the second: 1 or 2 Handed Edged or Polearm. To the third: Short/Long axes are 20/25pp; Polearms are 40pp; Two Handed Swords are 45pp - what you'll get charged In Game is between you and the Blacksmith.

To explain. Farming scythes are usually deemed illegal because they a) have the tendency to tear off really easily and b) are a hooking problem just waiting to happen. Most blue-prints for farming scythes either make the blade out of open-cell which is really flimsy when extended that for out or they incorporate some kind of odd joint or pivot in the pipe, which leads to the second hooking problem (and really isn't all that stable or likely to pass safety-inspection in the first place). There are one or two short-blade farm scythes hanging about (there's a picture of one in the ARB on page 91), but usually they're for ornamentation only.

That being said, you can easily make a War Scythe as a copacetic polearm. There was a brief discussion a while back.

Of course, if you and your local Weapon's Marshal can work some magic and make a safe, functionaly, full-sized farming scythe: go to.

Mobius said:
Charm, however, makes you best friends with the charmer and, as such, you cannot do any of the above and will, most likely, get very irate with anyone who tells you that your new Best Friend is anything but your lifelong soul-mate, "This spell makes the victim view the caster as his or her best friend in the world. No amount of logic or role-playing will convince the victim that they are indeed charmed, and any order given will be justified and make perfect sense in the mind of the victim. The victim will not remember the casting of the spell" (ARB pg. 112).

The downfall of Charm is that, unlike Vampire Charm, it cannot force you to act against Race or innate personality, eg. High Ogres won't Cast Necromancy, Mystics won't take away Free Will, etc.

This is not true via the new ruling about Charm. A charmed person will cast necromancy if asked to heal a target that is healed by necromancy.

Ryan, I believe you're thinking about Dominate:
Alliance Addendum said:
115: Dominate: The sixth paragraph under "Dominate" should be changed to:
"While dominated, the victim must perform actions to the best of his or her ability and knowledge, including the use of spells and skills. The victim does not have the ability to pick and choose less effective abilities to use, nor may they choose to not perform certain commands due to their personality or race. For example, if the victim knows that the person who Dominated them is Undead, and that person commands the victim to heal them, they will not only cast Necromancy on that person but will not be able to choose to use less powerful spells if they have more powerful ones available. Similarly, if a Flame Elemental Dominated someone, and that character knew that Flame Elementals are healed by Flame, they would do their best to use Flame to heal the Elemental if commanded."
Alliance Rulebook Addendum: April, 2011
Here's an ARC ruling with language which suggests you will NOT cast Necromancy if it's against your racial taboos: ARC Ruling. Now, that Ruling is from May 2010, so things might have changed, but I can't find an Addendum or ARC Ruling which suggests such.

I'd suggest putting this question up on the Rules section of the forum. This thread is very tough to follow and I think could use more focus other than "ask your questions here!" I also think it's adding more confusion than help at this point.

How do Charm and Vampire Charm differ? is it in any way other then Vampire Charm comes from a vampire?

DracoIam said:
How do Charm and Vampire Charm differ? is it in any way other then Vampire Charm comes from a vampire?

see as written above, especially bolded areas:
Mobius said:
Vampire Charm and Charm act differently. Vampire Charm works like an Enslavement, "These commands are absolute and are much more powerful than a Charm spell; instead, it is comparable to an Enslavement. If a vampire tells you to commit suicide, you will do so unquestioningly. If you are asked to cast necromancy, you will" (ARB pg. 125). As such, if the Vampire doesn't immediately tell you differently, you can most assuredly cover your ears, scream out that you are charmed, chug a Purify, whatever.

I just noticed in the Charm section it says that you will not remember becoming Charmed. Is the same true for Vampire Charm? If so, then wouldn't it stand to reason that you could not then "cover your ears, scream that you are Charmed, chug a Purify, whatever"?

-Luke

DracoIam said:
From what I understand, the term "Vampire Charm" is actually a misnomer; "Vampire Enslavement" would be more accurate, but it just doesn't roll off the tongue the same way. The big differences between Enslavement and Vampire Charm is:
  • VC is a Command effect, and thus can be removed with Purify, Awaken, etc. and can be resisted with Resist Command
  • VC can be delivered through a Gaze Attack (though it can also be through a packet)
  • VC usually only last 10 minutes, though different VCs can have different durations
  • Enslavement directives trump VC directives if the two conflict.
Think of it as "Enslavement Lite" with a quirky delivery system and easy removal

Do note, however, that one cannot use spell defenses to stop a VC, only Resist Command. I don't know if Bane/Cloak Vs Command will stop a VC, but I suspect it won't.

Warlok said:
I just noticed in the Charm section it says that you will not remember becoming Charmed. Is the same true for Vampire Charm? If so, then wouldn't it stand to reason that you could not then "cover your ears, scream that you are Charmed, chug a Purify, whatever"?
Nope. VC isn't Charm, it's just called "Vampire Charm". VC predated Charm and was acting an Enslavement before Charm came into existence (or came back into existence, if you have a memory that long).

Mobius said:
Do note, however, that one cannot use spell defenses to stop a VC, only Resist Command. I don't know if Bane/Cloak Vs Command will stop a VC, but I suspect it won't.

Just to not confuse players from the way they've used it in Somn, it all depends on the delivery. Magic Vampire Charm can be spell shielded, they Gave Attack Vampire Charm can only be resisted or cloak/baned.

Back