[.10] - Relics impressions

Magic Armor.

Poison Shield specifically says it doesn't protect against Weapon Coatings, among other things..
I think the key word in the rulebook here is "Ingested." I believe the intent is that a Poison Shield does not go off if you drink a Weapon Coating, but it will go off when struck by a Poison-coated attack.

I think the key word in the rulebook here is "Ingested." I believe the intent is that a Poison Shield does not go off if you drink a Weapon Coating, but it will go off when struck by a Poison-coated attack.

"It will not protect against ingested elixirs, Weapon Coatings, or Contact Gels such as Oils of Slipperiness or Pastes of Stickiness." -pg 121

I don't think the ARB would assume one would ingest a Weapon Coating or a Contact Gel, so I believe the descriptor "ingested" was purely in reference in elixirs.

We can certainly discuss it in the Marshal forum, though.

Grammatically, it could mean either thing, and I'm more inclined to believe the rules intend for Poison Shields to work against Poison-coated attacks. Spirit vs. Letter, yo.

Grammatically, it could mean either thing, and I'm more inclined to believe the rules intend for Poison Shields to work against Poison-coated attacks. Spirit vs. Letter, yo.

Please don't correct me on Spirit vs. Letter. I'm fully aware of our priorities as a fellow Marshal.

My point is that it's entirely possible that the Spirit of the rules is to allow Weapon coatings (already blocked by Magic Armor) to not be blocked by another dumb defense.

Again, I would advise we take this discussion to the Marshal forum.

... So, Relic Impressions ...

Just a quick note on Poison Shield and then we can get back to Relics:

ARB Page 108-109 (emphasis mine)

In order for a target to be affected by these
weapon poisons, the strike must do body damage
to the target. This effect is for one strike
only and can be resisted or blocked by a Poison
Shield
or a Magic Armor (or in the case of
certain races, possibly by racial Resists). If a
Poison Shield, a Magic Armor, or a racial Resist
stops the weapon poison, the target will not
take any damage from the weapon blow. When
using these weapon poisons, the correct call is
“<damage> <poison name> Poison.”

So, yeah. Celestial, vancian memorization plus wands. Earth, scrap relics, flex casting for healing/chaos spells.

Just to get this thread back on track...

So, yeah. Celestial, vancian memorization plus wands. Earth, scrap relics, flex casting for healing/chaos spells.

Just to get this thread back on track...

To keep this on track, <insert "ugh" face at the mention of flex casting for earth casters, because Inaryn and I have our lines in the sand on this one!>.

Flex Casting does not increase what an Earth Caster can do in the course of a day.

A viable supplement to that is needed, otherwise it will just continue the "That could have been a healing spell" environment that exists in many atmospheres.

A viable supplement to that is needed, otherwise it will just continue the "That could have been a healing spell" environment that exists in many atmospheres.

Man, if only there was some kinda preexisting, well used and tested thing, that could be easily mirrored, that fit that description some kinda stick or wand....

Thanks for the information.

So, between the Owners and the Public, it seems like the targets for Relics are:
  • Requirement: No duplication of Wands with damage or healing
  • Requirement: Something new and novel
  • Requirement: Be in-line with Earth Magic Paradigm
  • Requirement: Be useful in combat
  • Option: Useful against Undead
Given those parameters, here is my (notional and probably over-complicated) suggestion:
  • Create a new item, Relics, that provide 1 charge per 3xp invested in Earth Magic Skills
  • Relics come in 4 Types: Order, Chaos, Life, Death
  • Charges may be used for:
    • Order Relic:
      • 1 Charge - Elemental Chaos Guard via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Turn Undead
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Sanctuary via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 5 Charges - Elemental Cure Disease
      • 10 Charges - Elemental Destroy Undead
    • Chaos Relic:
      • 1 Charge - Elemental Healing Guard via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Control Undead
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Desecrate via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 5 Charges - Elemental Disease
      • 10 Charges - Elemental Corrupt
    • Life Relic:
      • 1 Charge - 1 Elemental Healing via Touchcast by 10-count (i.e. 10 second First Aid, terrible for healing that 100 Body Fighter)
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Antidote
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Cleanse via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 5 Charges - Elemental Restore
      • 10 Charges - Elemental Life
    • Death Relic:
      • 1 Charge - Elemental Endow via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Weakness
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Shatter via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 5 Charges - Elemental Silence
      • 10 Charges - Elemental Destruction

I want to quote this again, just for how much I love the idea. Can we have this please? I would like to have this.

Can confirm that the Relic of Ch....Life sounds perfect for me.

While @Alavatar 's suggestion sounds great, my concern is the game devolving (further) into mathcraft in-combat. A good basis to start with, but uneven numbers and the like can cause on-the-fly counting of charges and whatnot.

I have to third this idea again, I would love to have all fou I mean a perfectly legal set of Life, Death and Order relics.

While @Alavatar 's suggestion sounds great, my concern is the game devolving (further) into mathcraft in-combat. A good basis to start with, but uneven numbers and the like can cause on-the-fly counting of charges and whatnot.

I agree, though I feel the only real solution would be to calculate Relic charges differently than Wand charges into a formula that's easier to track on the fly. I mean, we're not going to get a usable resource that doesn't require some sort of numeric tracking.

Sure, and basing the pool around Earth's Bounty and adjusting accordingly seems a decent enough route to attempt to avoid system-bloat, the numeric charge side just would need to be adjusted (especially as its already deficient to Celestial in damage output vs healing output, IIRC). 5-10-15-20 charge-costs, for instance, are much easier to track if the given pool is appropriately sized.

To @Samyania 's point, I would switch out Destruction for Death in the Death tree. It's already going to be more resistant than the spell variant (original?), and having "take some additional damage" as the capstone for a (admittedly short) tree seems odd, when a Silence hitting a scholar is often as good as death.

a Silence hitting a scholar is often as good as death.

That is definitely not my experience. I haven't been afraid of Silence for several levels. Since it's niche, I've got potions of Remove Silence/Magic Augment Purify at the ready to deal with it. Silence is certainly annoying, but it really shouldn't be fatal with adequate preparation.

Edit: C Casters who don't memorize Magic Augment Dispel for the same situation...well, that's on them, I guess.

Back