0.10 - Takeout Abilities: Are they needed?

Does Alliance really need Takeout abilities?

• Yes

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Raccoons are scavengers, I don't care what you say

Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters
Yup I plan on fighting 2 weapons over shield/weapon for just that reason. Disarm is going to wreck shields and single weapon users. At least with 2 weapons you can parry after a disarm.

If only you could parry first level spells without 10 minutes prep and a formal scroll right?

If only you could parry first level spells without 10 minutes prep and a formal scroll right?

I was more thinking how every rogue and fighter will have like 10-20 at my level... But yes the spell version is another issue.

I really think spiritlink should just be a straight no effect call to disarm, like render is to shatter. The 5 sec not use but dont drop thing is just a awkward rule. No effect is alot more standard call.

It's also dumb that all the Fighter abilities are cheaper for scholars. Disarm, Stun Limb, Shatter, Static Damage. Scholars get almost everything Fighters get.

I have no idea why scholars need stun limb, unless it’s to trade out Confine. I’d be okay with that trade.

If that trade happened -and- PTD “swing til hits” remained? I think that would be fine.

Disarm terminate/eviscerate is a 2 hit kill of any fighter. It is really strong.

It's possible that bind arms is too low level.

I've seen someone use paste of stickiness once in 5 years. Claws aren't counterplay, they are a thing you have or not. I also did suggest a buff to the spell, that it disarms all held spell packets.
So your proposed buff to disarm knocks all spell packets out of a casters hands? Both hands at once or just one hand? If both hands you would need to make disarm also strip both weapons from a weapon fighter if they were the same type, or you're adding more needless complexity to the game. There's also the question of parity between having to pick up a single item to get back in the fight vs. having to pick up ten or more. If a single hand, that's not going to stop any smart caster from pelting you with the packet in their throwing hand while reloading their staging hand. At worst it just means I have to keep spare packets in pockets on both sides of the costume now.

Here's my suggestion: All debuffs now last one minute. Binds break on body damage, reintroduce web as a full restrain that does not allow for killing blows, confine does. Weakness is now -5 damage, cannot reduce below base damage. You will always swing at least two with a one hander, even if weaknessed. Sleep breaks on damage as well, but the target is killing blowable. Paralyze remains the same as today, its curable with a fourth level spell now and competes with purify on the Earth tree. Death/Corrupt and Prison remain as the scary top tier spells. Binds no longer mean a fighter is out of the game for ten minutes, that fighter isn't going to get beat to death if he chooses to mettle out of it (As hitting you would break the bind early), but they still allow a caster who has prepared these spells to control a battlefield and temporarily remove a threat. With these changes I would give most monsters with rip uses of mettle and save monster ripping for the big scary stuff.

-

Last edited:
Disarm working on intangible energy would be the weirdest thing ever.

It could be neat as a separate skill though. Something martial, to give those classes an option vs casters. Dissipating Strike?

I’d use it as my Adept. I can see a quick dash behind the lines to disarm their mana and open the way for my fighter friends to wreck ‘em.

Just seems super niche to spend build on.

I am not against adding more effects for melee. But honestly I think it is bad for new players there are a ton of abilities which are hard to judge value or of questionable value. Many times they make bad build spends early and are stuck with them for years.

At some point it is too much. Honestly I prefer the current or even older style of melee that where more lean and streamlined. Good at what they do. Easy to play and only a few abilities to remember.

I liked the proposal of Throat Strike (though not an actual throat strike) as a kind of Fighter Silence. Or like Garotte if you're sneaky-and-melee.

I mean, on the other hand, not that it's hard to take me (~20 Elf Scholar) down with damage. One arrow from @Avaran will do it if I don't have a Magic Armor.

-

Last edited:
HA!

Pretty sure he'd rather take an arrow for Vellis than shoot one at her - she's far more valuable alive than as target practice. :p

Thank you, Designated Earth Blade Recipient #1 (temporary reassignment from #2). :|

Maybe part of the reason I don't mind takeout effects so much is that it doesn't take much to just knock me into bleedout anyway.

Is she? You know she is a stone elf right?

Just because you’re not a human anymore doesn’t mean you’re not expendable, buddy.

-

Last edited:
Back