Alliance 2.0 Rulebook: Beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Limited or Greater Circles of Power always possess either an Earth or Celestial aspect. When one of these Circles of Power is ritually cast, the caster determines the aspect of the resulting Circle of Power according to the aspect of Formal Magic that the caster possesses. A caster who possesses both Earth and Celestial Formal Magic may choose the aspect of such a Circle of Power.” (Page 164)

I believe the bold part of the passage should say:
“...the battle magic Circle that is being cast. A caster who can cast a Circle of Power using both Earth and Celestial battlemagic and intends to use it for a ritual or spellcrafting must explicitly choose whether they are using an Earth slot or a Celestial slot to cast the Circle of Power.”

Under "Weapon Guidelines" for Staff, there is the following text:

Staffs may only be handled in the middle 3 feet. This distance should be marked off so it is easily identifiable. You must have both hands on the staff to attack, but you may block with only one hand on the staff, or in conjunction with a short weapon for the purposes of the Two Weapons skill. Note that for safety reasons, padding may be required on the grip section of the staff depending on how it is designed.

This text should also be in the Staff Skill, as well as the bolded portion of the text talking about how the Two Weapons skill should be represented in the Two Weapons skill, and not solely in the Weapon Guidelines.

These classes are out-of-game categories to determine the amount your character will have to pay for their skills. As such, they can change so long as the skills themselves stay the same. At any time prior to the start of an event, you can choose to change your character’s class by speaking to the appropriate staff member of your character’s Home Chapter. Your actual skills will not change; only the amount you have spent to obtain them.

Should this not be updated, to say that you can change your class via the CMA?

On another note, when dealing with some new players, I've noticed that they get confused with the writing being somewhat jumbled together. A specific example is Oathsworn and where to find their costuming requirements (bone protrusions) in their description on page 18. May I suggest we make is a bit easier for new players and either highlight these parts or underneath each racial description have a "Costuming requirements' section and not just have it folded into a random spot in the description?

(My apologies if someone has mentioned this already).

Thanks!
TC

It's in the Player's Guide, as indicated in the index of both documents by PG in front of the page number; RB is for the Rule Book. :)

As a quick rundown:
For a brand new character with only 25 XP, you get 150 copper to spend on items; standard items are bought at the base PP cost listed in the production charts, 2 copper per spell level for spells, and I believe it's also 2 copper per Alchemy recipe, as well.
For characters with more XP, they get ([Total XP x Character Level] +100) copper to spend, with a maximum of 9100 copper at 300 XP. Magic Items can be purchased with this additional copper, if so desired.
Any left over copper is given as coin.

Last edited:
Two Weapons:
“This skill allows the character to hold and use two weapons in combat, one in each hand. Neither weapon can be a two handed weapon, and one of the weapons must be a Short or Small weapon.”

It is my understanding that this skill is not intended to grant the underlying weapon skill — the user would still need 1h edged, or what have you. But this wording, and the similar wording in Florentine, can be read to imply that it does. Suggest adding a sentence to both skill descriptions along the lines of “The character still needs to purchase the appropriate weapon skills (One Handed Edged, One Handed Blunt, and/or Small Weapon) for any weapons they intend to use.”

This list does not include spell store. As per the rulebook, does that not mean that spell store does not exist? Something needs fixing here.

Spell Store is still in the ritual database.

The Alliance Rituals list should certainly list it, and it appears that it errantly does not, but it should not be treated as an actual rulebook. It does provide helpful text and certainly assists individuals, especially marshals, as a supplemental resource, but an error on this list should not be equated to an ARB text.

Two Weapons:
“This skill allows the character to hold and use two weapons in combat, one in each hand. Neither weapon can be a two handed weapon, and one of the weapons must be a Short or Small weapon.”

It is my understanding that this skill is not intended to grant the underlying weapon skill — the user would still need 1h edged, or what have you. But this wording, and the similar wording in Florentine, can be read to imply that it does. Suggest adding a sentence to both skill descriptions along the lines of “The character still needs to purchase the appropriate weapon skills (One Handed Edged, One Handed Blunt, and/or Small Weapon) for any weapons they intend to use.”

Actually, I think it would be better to simply add a text on the Chart under pre-requisites “Any Weapon skill usable in one hand.”

I don't know if this was mentioned. Charm on the table lists 10 minutes. The description of charm says 5 minutes.

Actually, I think it would be better to simply add a text on the Chart under pre-requisites “Any Weapon skill usable in one hand.”

Any weapon skill or claw.

Any weapon skill or claw.

I left that out intentionally because Claw is a Weapon skill.

At least, I think of it as one. >.>

I don't know if this was mentioned. Charm on the table lists 10 minutes. The description of charm says 5 minutes.

It should be 10, as a control effect.

I left that out intentionally because Claw is a Weapon skill.

At least, I think of it as one. >.>

Claw is a Racial Skill that allows the use of a weapon, but not a Weapon Skill.

Claw is a Racial Skill that allows the use of a weapon, but not a Weapon Skill.

It serves as a Weapon skill pre-requisite for skills that require a Weapon skill, so I’m not sure that’s exactly accurate.

Weapon Skills are a specific category of skills. Claws is not a skill in that category.

It may serve as a prerequisite for skills that require a Weapon Skill (or Claws), but it is not a Weapon Skill

Back Attack and Critical Attack require a Weapon skill to be purchased.

I doubt it’s your position that a player with Claws cannot purchase Back/Critical Attack.

Claws are, for all things that matter, a Weapon skill. Sure, they aren’t on the Weapon chart because they’re on the Racial chart. Sure, the CMA doesn’t categorize them as Weapon XP.

But Claws are, mechanically, a Weapon skill, and I’m not gonna argue about the semantics of that.

Back Attack and Critical Attack require a Weapon skill to be purchased.

I doubt it’s your position that a player with Claws cannot purchase Back/Critical Attack.

Claws are, for all things that matter, a Weapon skill. Sure, they aren’t on the Weapon chart because they’re on the Racial chart. Sure, the CMA doesn’t categorize them as Weapon XP.

But Claws are, mechanically, a Weapon skill, and I’m not gonna argue about the semantics of that.

I’d argue that the prerequisites for critical attack and back attack need to be corrected to include Claws, as it is not, technically, a Weapon Skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back