Alliance 2.0 Rulebook: Beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Backstab, Back Attack, and Assassinate specify that they may be used from behind, or from the front with a ranged weapon. Doom Blow, Enhanced Strike, Fear/Berserk Blow, Silence/Stun Blow, and Sleep/Paralysis Blow omit the "or from the front with a ranged weapon". I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but it definitely makes the new skills less viable to ranged Stealth types and I think represents an overall nerf to that archetype.

Additionally, I can't figure out the logic between whether the new martial abilities are Blows (weapon carrier) or Strikes (Weapon Strikes). Maybe it's just me, but I keep getting confused and having a hard time remembering which is which. I don't know if it's possible to clarify or streamline in any fashion...
Blows (Weapon <effect>): Destruction/Stun Blow, Fear/Berserk Blow, Silence/Stun Blow, Sleep/Enfeeble Blow, Slow/Weakness Blow
Strikes (Weapon Strike <effect>): Dispelling Strike, Purifying/Draining Strike, Repel Strike, Shatter/Disarm Strike, Weakness/Shun Strike

Backstab, Back Attack, and Assassinate specify that they may be used from behind, or from the front with a ranged weapon. Doom Blow, Enhanced Strike, Fear/Berserk Blow, Silence/Stun Blow, and Sleep/Paralysis Blow omit the "or from the front with a ranged weapon". I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but it definitely makes the new skills less viable to ranged Stealth types and I think represents an overall nerf to that archetype.

Additionally, I can't figure out the logic between whether the new martial abilities are Blows (weapon carrier) or Strikes (Weapon Strikes). Maybe it's just me, but I keep getting confused and having a hard time remembering which is which. I don't know if it's possible to clarify or streamline in any fashion...
Blows (Weapon <effect>): Destruction/Stun Blow, Fear/Berserk Blow, Silence/Stun Blow, Sleep/Enfeeble Blow, Slow/Weakness Blow
Strikes (Weapon Strike <effect>): Dispelling Strike, Purifying/Draining Strike, Repel Strike, Shatter/Disarm Strike, Weakness/Shun Strike

Pg 93 in the Weapon Attacks section -

“Some attacks may only be performed from behind. Such an attack must be performed when physically behind the opponent; you cannot reach around from the front. The attack must strike the opponent’s back half; this includes any part of the target (limbs included) which is more towards their rear than their front. Note that ranged attacks using these skills can be used from any direction, bypassing the from behind requirement.”

Sleep /Paralysis Blow refers to a melee weapon requirement, so the above doesn’t bypass that specific skill.

Thanks, I figured that was the likely intent. It is confusing, though, to have the ranged weapon bypass of this requirement mentioned in some skill descriptions and not others. I'd recommend having it in all or none of them for the sake of clarity.

(Also thanks, gonna pick up thrown weapon now.)

To be honest, the only reason I figured that's how it was described is because that's how it was also detailed in the .12 packet; separate from the skills, but in a section about the weapon attack changes.

I've no issue with having the skills themselves list it, if the authors feel the redundancy might be helpful.

I think having it in each individual skill might not be a bad idea; it's only a single line, and only like 10 skills are affected, so I can't see it making the book significantly longer.

Plus it'll help new players to have it with the skills, since a lot of the time (from personal experience) they focus mostly on reading the skills they have and want soon than reading the entire book cover to cover. More likely to stick in their mind if it's in the skill descriptions, I think.

“The Slay’s damage is based on the weapon type you are wielding - it will inflict ten times the base damage of the weapon used and may only be increased by purchasing the Improved Slay skill. Thus, a dagger will inflict 10 damage with a Slay, a longsword will inflict 20 damage with a Slay, and so forth. Remember that this damage is not increased by anything other than the Improved Slay skill - neither a monster’s Superhuman Strength or a player’s Vorpal Coating will alter the damage of a Slay.” (P. 58)

They should specify that it is a dagger used in melee combat.

The chart on page 84 states that he throwing daggers do two base damage.

Page 85:
"Crossbows are made of closed cell foam only—no PVC core is allowed."

I'm sure the intent is that any solid core is not allowed, not just PVC. Change PVC to "solid, non-foam", perhaps?

The following example is given for blacksmithing:
Alliance 2.0 Rulebook: Beta 2 pg. 35 said:
Rendal has just found out that werewolves are running around town! He heads to the Logistics location with George, a Crafting Marshal, to witness what he’s about to build. Once he arrives, he checks his character card and the earlier entries he made on the Production Sheet to make sure he has enough Production Points left. Fortunately, he does—his ten levels of Blacksmith are very useful today! He fills out the Production Sheet for a set of ten Silver arrows—5 PP for the Arrows themselves, plus another 15 PP for Silvering them—and deposits a total of 5 copper for the arrows and 10 silver for their Silvering cost in the box provided for that purpose.

There are a couple inconsistencies here.
  • Rendal has "ten levels of Blacksmith" however the Journeyman discount to regular production costs are not reflected. It should be 4 copper for the ten arrows, not five. It would be best to either correct this and explain the discount in the example, or indicate that Rendal has somewhere less than 10 purchases of blacksmithing.
  • The PP cost for the silvering is listed as 15, however this contradicts the silvering rules on pg. 40, which states that "Silvering an existing arrow or bolt costs 1 silver per arrow or bolt and 1 Production Point." Hence the silvering PP cost for this example should be 10 PP, not 15.
  • Edit: Per two marshals now, there should also be copper cost for the 10 PP (8 cp if journeyman blacksmith, for a total of 112 cp, or 10 cp if not, for a total of 114 cp).

Last edited:
Archery and Two Weapons. Pg. 60 and Pg. 86
"The bow phys rep can be used for blocking defense with one hand. If the archer has the Two Weapon skill and is using a short bow, then they may use it with a long weapon or with a one handed spear. A bow may not be used for melee attacks."

Why only short bow and long weapon? why not Long bow and short weapon?

It’s meant to provide an example; a longbow and short Weapon is completely valid. :)

Additionally, with the Florentine change, a shortbow and short Weapon would also be completely valid if the character only has Florentine.

It’s meant to provide an example; a longbow and short Weapon is completely valid. :)

Are you sure about that? It's conceptually sound but I don't think that's supported by anything. A bow is a two-handed weapon, so florentine/two-weapon don't apply to it in the general sense, and this is the only exception to the rule provided regarding bows. This was also the case in 1.3.

Are you sure about that? It's conceptually sound but I don't think that's supported by anything. A bow is a two-handed weapon, so florentine/two-weapon don't apply to it in the general sense, and this is the only exception to the rule provided regarding bows. This was also the case in 1.3.

Reactions: Ken
We aren't bringing over ARC rulings from prior to 1.3 are we? Aren't we wiping those away and starting fresh?

Well, since there wasn't an owner vote to change it, and it said it was left out of the book, there weren't any mentions to it in the playtest packets.

The new rulebook wasn't done from scratch, so assumably any oversights in it, probably didn't get updated.
My general assumption was that this is an oversight and not a rules change.

My link was more in regards to, this is the way it was in 1.3.

Gotcha. I just think it's bad precedence at all to use rulings from 1.3 for 2.0. Asking questions about an oversight I totally get.

The new rulebook wasn't done from scratch, so assumably any oversights in it, probably didn't get updated.
My general assumption was that this is an oversight and not a rules change.

I don't see any oversight or rules change here. The ARC clarification has exactly the same text as the 1.3 ARB and the current beta ARB. All of them only reference short bow + (long weapon or spear). None of them allow long bow + anything.

It’s my official Marshal position that the spirit of the rule is that a player is allowed to have a Long weapon and a Short Weapon in hand, and that the additional text regarding Archery was a carryover from when a previous clarification had been made. While the context may not seem clear, such a modification from 1.3 (where Longbow/short weapon or the reverse were certainly legal), had a change been intended, it certainly would have resulted in a discussion.

If Marshals feel this warrants more conversation, I encourage the use of the Marshal Discussion forum, where an ARC clarification request can be discussed if consensus cannot be reached.

Whatever the official ruling is about long/short bow/sword combos, can it be clarified explicitly in the 2.0 rulebook, please?

First Aid, pg 48 references “death countdown” when it should be “Bleed Count”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back