April event pre-registration: PRE-REG IS CLOSED

Re: April event pre-registration

I must echo Kyle's words about the importance of pre-logisting, if possible. We are trying to start games earlier this season, and get everyone into character as soon as possible. Pre-logisting helps this immensely. There will be efforts made to improve the speed of Logistics and reduce the amount of crowding around the desk area. I strongly encourage you to get into costume and get your packet swiftly. We are considering bringing back the old tradition of conducting Opening Ceremonies, but would prefer to do it earlier rather than later. We understand that not everyone can arrive early due to work schedules, travel time, etc., and so we will try to be sensitive to that, but the bottom line is that the earlier you arrive and the more prepared we are to get you into game, the more game there is to play! :thumbsup:

I don't want to open a can of worms, but I strongly abhor the idea of an opening ceremony. (And those of you who know me well, it takes a LOT for me to dislike something, even a little.) But that's probably a discussion for another time and place, I imagine. So, erm, yes! Please, do pre-logist! It's good for you! :D

I'm so excited to see everyone!!!!! <3

Allow me to split the difference.

If you have read the OOG newsletter, then you know the premise of the game by now. The opening "scene" suggested in the OOG newsletter is scheduled to happen relatively early Friday night. It isn't exactly opening ceremonies, but it is clearly the meaningful start to the game. Real life schedules permitting, all PCs should try to be in game by then.

-MS

KialdaLoa said:
I don't want to open a can of worms, but I strongly abhor the idea of an opening ceremony. (And those of you who know me well, it takes a LOT for me to dislike something, even a little.) But that's probably a discussion for another time and place, I imagine. So, erm, yes! Please, do pre-logist! It's good for you! :D

I'm so excited to see everyone!!!!! <3

I'm a little confused as to how you can abhor something you've not experienced?

I'm in favor of opening ceremonies for a few reasons:

1. It allows Rules to explain any plot effects for the weekend and answer questions from players about them.

2. It provides a definitive "Game On" time. Once opening ceremonies are over the game has officially begun.

3. It makes it easy for players to find the heads of committees before they get sucked into their during-game responsibilities. Anybody who has a question for the GM, Head of Plot, Head of Rules etc can just form a line after opening ceremonies and speak to them before they get too busy to think clearly.

4. It allows us an opportunity to grab the new players for orientation and the new "first timer" module we're going to be introducing.

I miss the opening ceremonies. If done right, they can get you way into character. John Finnegan and Patrick von Raven were both masters of getting everyone into the right mindset during opening ceremonies. They can't ramble though and there should generally only be one person speaking during them. They are not the time to go into the rambling of each committee, that's closing.

It's also cool if you can follow a quick OOG opening ceremonies with an IG opening/welcome.

Scott

mikestrauss said:

If you have read the OOG newsletter, then you know the premise of the game by now. The opening "scene" suggested in the OOG newsletter is scheduled to happen relatively early Friday night. It isn't exactly opening ceremonies, but it is clearly the meaningful start to the game. Real life schedules permitting, all PCs should try to be in game by then.

-MS
I never got my OOG newsletter. When I went to enter my email again (just in case) it said it was already on file <shrug>

So - what time is that happening?

Duke Frost said:
I miss the opening ceremonies. If done right, they can get you way into character. John Finnegan and Patrick von Raven were both masters of getting everyone into the right mindset during opening ceremonies. They can't ramble though and there should generally only be one person speaking during them. They are not the time to go into the rambling of each committee, that's closing.

It's also cool if you can follow a quick OOG opening ceremonies with an IG opening/welcome.

Scott

I agree. Ideally it should be one person explaining the plot effects and segueing directly into a teaser "let's get pumped" speech with senior staff present to answer questins afterwards if players have needs to be addressed. If it takes longer than 10 minutes we're doing it wrong.

aara said:
mikestrauss said:

-MS
I never got my OOG newsletter. When I went to enter my email again (just in case) it said it was already on file <shrug>

You're email provider may have blocked Constant Contact from sending to you. What's your address? I'll check it out for you.

Robb Graves said:
aara said:
mikestrauss said:

-MS

You're email provider may have blocked Constant Contact from sending to you. What's your address? I'll check it out for you.

Gmail? Seems unlikely - it's not in spam either. I'll PM you.

May be some one can post the link to the OOG newsletter here I can only find the in game one

You folks do make good points - I guess my hatred for the idea was based on a few assumptions, which were influenced by what I've experienced in closing ceremonies. Now I do think closing ceremonies are great, and serve an important role... but I would hate to have all that rambling happening to kick-off a weekend.

I like Mike's idea of having an IG "game on" event, agreed upon OOG to happen at a certain time of evening... I just dislike the idea of a whole opening ceremony because I assumed it would be awkward and difficult to start with something technical/mechanical/OOG, and then say "ok GO" and assume everyone can just pop into character and RP after this big, long, meet-and-greet and discussion.

Scott's explanation helped soothe that worry, though. If it is possible to use it as a segue to HELP get people in-character, rather than force them out of character... perhaps it isn't such an intolerable idea :)

justduffy said:
May be some one can post the link to the OOG newsletter here I can only find the in game one

Duffy,

The OOG newsletter is EMAIL only. If you want to see it you need to either have a working email address in the logistics database or have contacted me to verify the email address you want us to send to.

Let me know if you have not received a copy and wish to, and what email address you'd like me to send it to.

-Robb

KialdaLoa said:
You folks do make good points - I guess my hatred for the idea was based on a few assumptions, which were influenced by what I've experienced in closing ceremonies. Now I do think closing ceremonies are great, and serve an important role... but I would hate to have all that rambling happening to kick-off a weekend.

I like Mike's idea of having an IG "game on" event, agreed upon OOG to happen at a certain time of evening... I just dislike the idea of a whole opening ceremony because I assumed it would be awkward and difficult to start with something technical/mechanical/OOG, and then say "ok GO" and assume everyone can just pop into character and RP after this big, long, meet-and-greet and discussion.

Scott's explanation helped soothe that worry, though. If it is possible to use it as a segue to HELP get people in-character, rather than force them out of character... perhaps it isn't such an intolerable idea :)

Scott, Patrick and JTF made it work...

I have never revived it and my e-mail address is Justduffy@ aol.com

justduffy said:
I have never revived it and my e-mail address is Justduffy@ aol.com

Added you to the list, scheduled a copy to be sent you. You should have it shortly.

Gilwing said:
Scott, Patrick and JTF made it work...

Aw shucks Dave. Thanks for including me in that august company. I don't consider myself in the class of master story teller John was or the master orator Patrick is. I'm honored to be lumped in with them. I always felt more like a dedicated craftsman just hammering away at plot, while those two were artists.

Scott

Re: April event pre-registration: DEADLINE SUNDAY

So, is there a expectation of when HQ Management and Plot would like the game to start (Opening Ceremony or not)? I always find myself wandering around asking people if they're in-game yet. I would love to see a rough "start time" that everyone can shoot for. I know not everyone will be able to make it and also that the time itself may shift based upon Logistics or whatever, but if we have a goal, then we can set an expectation.

My 2 cents......

--- Eric Stehle / Ivan Drake

Back