Boots

Hey, how are these to get on and off? Is it a lot of tugging and wiggling to get through the ankle?

Awesome, thanks!

I know way too many people that get frustrated as hell with Son of Sandlar lace-up boots because they can take 10 - 20 minutes to get on.

no problem.

the only thing i have yet to figure out is how to keep these boots from sliding down over time. I got the knee high ones and it may be that i just didn't take good care of them, but in the morning when i put them on they fit fine, but by afternoon, i am pulling them back up like loose socks (ok not that bad, but i do adjust them after a good fight or run or something).

I have thought about pinning them to my pants but keep imagining the pin coming loose when i fall and stabbing me.

In the winter it's not that bad because my calves are covered with lots of layers and socks, sot he boots stay up, but in the summer, my scrawny chicken legs let them slide down more often.

Robb,
Maybe a strap of elastic around the outside, and then fold the boots over it so it hides it?

-Ali

Hmmmm, I never had that problem, Robb. Maybe it's because my legs are thicker, but they always stay up just fine. I have my pants tucked into the boots, too, so maybe that also helps.

As for putting them on & taking them off it's cake. I never had a pair of boots that were so easy to put on.

I have a boot question. I have a pair of boots that I usually wear for LARPing but they are starting to collapse. In other words the part of the boot that covers my lower leg has gotten really soft around the ankle area and now the boots are a little floppy. Does anyone know how to stiffen them?

I found some patterns at one time to make cavalier boots and what they did to help keep them up is that they sewed a stiffer piece of leather, a long strip about an inch wide, maybe a little less, along the back of the boot on the inside from heel to top. This helped to hold the boot up.

If you really didn't care, you could cut a couple of pairs of tube socks apart and slid them up the calf of your leg under your pants. If you thicken your calf/leg where the boots go, it will make a snugger fit. Of course, your calves will probably sweat like crazy...

Gee-Perwin said:
Ok I'm bringing this post back from the dead. I still absolutely love my SCA boots, but I do have one complaint I want to post here. Walking around on rocks isn't very comfortable with these boots. As HQ players know much of the area around the tavern is rocky. As I'm preparing for playing in June I decided to go out and buy some Dr. Scholl's messaging gel extra support insoles. I stuck them in my SCA boots and WOW! I got to test these out on some rocks and it's a world of difference. Just standing on normal ground feels incredible, but this is exactly what these boots needed. They were a little over $15, so it's a bit pricey. I plan on using them in my work shoes when I'm not LARP'ing. I highly recommend these.

I also HIGHLY recommend these insoles. I am currently in Iraq and if you think it's rocky at HQ, this is a whole new level. They cover the whole base with river rocks to try to keep the dust down. My feet were KILLING me after the first week. Picked up a pair of these insoles at the PX and my feet haven't hurt since. A VERY good investment for boots.

Just as a over time addition to my previous comments on SCA boots:

I love both pairs I have, but I have found that the heels and soles can't hanndle the kind of intense activity I put them thru at events. The heels or soles have blown out of all 4 boots in just under a year of use. Contact cement and Shoe-Goo are a wonderful fix that works great, but the fact is I find myself having to repair them about one every 4 events. Thats almost one a month for me.

I love the comfort and the look, but I will be going for something more ruggid for my next purchuse.
--bill

Traeger said:
I have a boot question. I have a pair of boots that I usually wear for LARPing but they are starting to collapse. In other words the part of the boot that covers my lower leg has gotten really soft around the ankle area and now the boots are a little floppy. Does anyone know how to stiffen them?

You could wear a garter belt with lengthened straps <giggle>.

http://www.uscav.com/ProductInfo.as...ebase&cm_mmc=Google Base-_-Products-_-SF-_-V1

These boots are well put together. Wore them at work where I ran walked and squated all day long. Wore them for 2 weeks and they worked very well. The only problems I was having was that the leather is very stiff and takes quite some time to break in. Two they are very hot. They don't breathe well and since it is summer your feet will be uncomfortable because of that. Also make sure you get sport insoles for these as well as the provided insole just isn't enough.

B~>

Back