Costuming help?

I'd like to give the LARP a shot if I can so I'll let you guys know if I'm coming sometime, well the SF people anyway.

TieflingRogue said:
I'd like to give the LARP a shot if I can so I'll let you guys know if I'm coming sometime, well the SF people anyway.

The Capital corridor train travels from Sac to East Bay/San Jose five times a day (on the weekend) and 6 times a day back (on the weekend). We have members in SJ who could pick you up, and we probably would have people willing to pick you up in Emeryville, although I'd have to check on that.
On the weekdays, there are even more trains...

Travel prices run about $26-$38 each way for a typical weekend event.

Feel free to PM me here or at http://www.alliancesf.net/forum if you have any questions. (Name's the same at both sites!)

Marcena said:
Yes...don't be afraid...come to the LARP side...we have cookies. And birdseed.

Dangit, Marcena, why did you have to sign me up for cookies? The trouble is going to be making sure that there are any left for Tiefling when they show up. ("Scavengers" sometimes describes eating habits, rather than a playable race.) ;)

markusdark said:
TieflingRogue said:
I'd pretty much be dressing the way the first character looks in my sig. Mostly dark clothes, long devil's tail, hood, vest, boots, gloves, ect. What's a good body paint to use? My Tiefling is dark skinned and I'm Caucasion. As an aside I hope no one would get upset at a white person painting themselves very dark or black. Has anyone had that problem come up? I think once they figured out it was for a fantasy costume they wouldn't mind so much.

I was also going to ask if there are other decent colors I should use for clothing because if my skin is black and my clothes are black too then it might be hard to see detail or to me it just seems not very creative. It would also be pretty hot:p

Heh, no, there's no trouble with the black makeup - there is a whole race called the Drae which are basically Drow elves.

I would be careful about putting too much black into your costume - only because so many other people do it that it really doesn't stand out. Reds are good to add with black though as well as some deep blues. Using the character creator you have with your sig can actually help you choose color schemes that work well.

There are two types of makeup - creme based and water based. Creme based tends to stay on longer without needs for retouching however it remains wet and will smear easily. Water based is drier but sweating and such will cause it to run/smear easier. I personally use a brand called Kryolan - which is a water based product. If applied thin enough, I don't have an issue with flaking and it tends to stay on very well. Mehron is a creme based that most Drae swear by.

I certainly swear by Mehron and I am Dark Elf for life. ^_^

Oh, and just because we are Black does not mean we are all evil! In fact if you ever meet my Dark Elf I am quite friendly. ;)

Dreamingfurther said:
In fact if you ever meet my Dark Elf I am quite friendly. ;)

Acting friendly is all just part of your evil plan. You'll suck everyone in with manners, decorum and polite behavior. Then, only then, will you unleash you plan for world domination. We're onto Eldarion. Don't think us fools. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

(Was that a bit over the top? ;) )

Don't get all upset, but I skimmed over this and saw a few things, and I have to say; if you are willing to drive to SF for a convention because it's more worthy of your time, trust me, Alliance LARP is just as worth the trip. I'm just sayin, don't get mad please, I'll be quiet now.

Alliance LARP: Where you're 85% more likely to survive the Zombie Apocalypse.

Additionally, Dwarves and Orcs are the best.

And wild elves and hoblings!

Actually, I don't think that the Alliance SF has any sarrs in it as their home chapter.

As for the drive - it would be more than double the distance from Sacto to San Jose so perhaps that is just too much driving involved. I know I don't go to many one day's because the trip from Berkeley to SJ is too much to justify the gas.

zehnyu said:
Cats in Flight!
"And tonight on 'Interesting People' it's Ali and her sarr, Zhenyu. Ali, what do you have to show us?"
"Well, Zhenyu here can fly across the country and land in San Fransisco in a bucket of water."
"By herself?"
"Eh, no, I fling her."
"Mrrreeeooow!"

(Sorry, it was too tempting.)

I meant including ways to save gas and get their quickly, or the cheapest ways, ect.

Naw, go gypsy or go...not gypsy, it's all good. :)

But listen to Tetsu, Alliance LARP is TOTALLY worth the trip. I drive three hours to either of my chapters and there are others who drive much further than I do to attend weekend events or even one-days.

But sadly I cannot be a Tiefling and that's kinda what I'm wanting to create a costume for, something like the first guy in my Sig. The mean looking devil tailed guy.

Well...there's always a scorpion scavvie. :D

But best of luck with the costuming. For the tail, if you're a boffer-LARPer, like us, I am thinking about using a minimum-length pole-arm attached to my back. Not sticking out or anything, just kinda tucked up so it's not dragging on the ground so I could use my tail as a weapon IG. Maybe you can do the same except make one more like a spear?

It's not a weapon. It's just a tail. A Scorpion Anthro would be cool but sounds incredibly hard to do. That and I'd feel compelled to name him "Bayushi." ;) Any L5R people will get the joke. I've gotten some awesome ideas on how to do a tail already, just need a game I can actually play a Tiefling in. Looking like I'll have to do my own game. The majority of the crowd I run with wouldn't want boffers either.

Back