Costuming help?

Obligitory offensive comment about Justin's "other form fitting goodness." Mmmmmm is right. If you haven't tried it, you don't know what you're missing.

Robb Graves said:
the first difference being, i am not going to non-boffer larp game's message board and posting about how i want to be a Tiefling and how thier game sucks because it won't let me. I don't start threads about costuming, and then get pissy when they go off on tangents like this is the first time this has ever happened on the internet before.

the second difference being, those on this board that have played both styles of larp have an educated oppinon. they can accurately compare the two styles. they have played alliance, and can rate where on the scale of larping enjoyment it may fall.

this guy, who is never going to play alliance... because we don't allow religion... and it's too far away... and it uses boffers... is by the definition of the word... ignorant

I never once said the game sucked. Also I was not "pissy" when I mentioned about the thread going off on a tangent. The only person here truly pissy is yourself and your sad need to act like anyone who mentions anything about people not liking boffer larps as an attack on you and Alliance LARP. It is not. I have mentioned several times that I myself have no problem with boffer LARPs and have played in them. I've also been saying I'd like to at least try the LARP but you've ignored that at as well. My original opinion was that it was too far but I've gotten advice on how to save time or gas money. I've also come up with different concepts beyond the Tiefling so please keep your assumptions about my supposed ignorance to yourself.

I'll even apologize right now, right here if it will help. I'm sorry if I somehow upset you but really lay off already. It is no fault of mine that my friends and fellow gamers don't like boffer LARPs. It is also no fault of mine that I live far away from SF. I actually am going to try my hardest to at least attend one game and check out everything in action.

Telokh_Amdo said:
Tetsu said:
Additionally, Dwarves and Orcs are the best.
Nope. The Three S's. Sarr, Stone Elves and Scavengers FTW!
I interrupt your scheduled internet flame war to lament the fact that Engler beat me to the shameless Stone Elf plug on this thread. You may now return to your keyboard cannons and continue firing. *ducks*

I thought I did an excellent job of stopping the flames from spreading!

Dwarves and Orcs are still the best, though.

I appologized too in an attempt to stop them as well but who knows if that will help. *shrug* I just wanted help from people I consider pros at making decent costumes. I went out and looked around at some of the costume stores nearby for parts I could use but found nothing I liked.

TieflingRogue said:
The only person here truly pissy is yourself and your sad need to act like anyone who mentions anything about people not liking boffer larps as an attack on you and Alliance LARP.

nah, i think yer the first. i'm not really sad either, i'm mostly sore from the gym. my needs currently consist of a shower and some whole grain pop tarts.. it's almost like they are healthy now... or so i tell myself..

TieflingRogue said:
I've also come up with different concepts beyond the Tiefling so please keep your assumptions about my supposed ignorance to yourself.

it's good to expand your horizons. if nothing else the board has helped you with that.

TieflingRogue said:
I'll even apologize right now, right here if it will help. I'm sorry if I somehow upset you but really lay off already. It is no fault of mine that my friends and fellow gamers don't like boffer LARPs. It is also no fault of mine that I live far away from SF. I actually am going to try my hardest to at least attend one game and check out everything in action.

no need to apologize to me, i take issue with some of your ideas and the way you present yourself, but i couldn't possibly be less "upset". not everyone has to be angry to disagree with others and point it out.

Anyways, I found some Galvanized wire I'm gonna use to make the tail poseable, as suggested by Mark. Just need to find something to use for the padding. I was going to try using a water noodle and cutting that down but I can't find any.

i would do wire for the shape to hold... then sew a skin for it out of thin faux leather.. then stuff that with some kind of padding... for realisms sake... but.. i dunno if that would work.. i can see it in my head possibly working, but i have never tried it.

A water noodle might be a bit wide? I would check the diameter of the water noodle with pipe insulation at your local Home Depot and see which would better fit the concept.

Edit: I have seen a cloth tail stuffed with padding (similar to a stuffed animal tail) with a bit of fishing line tied to the back collar of the player's coat and to the tail about 6 inches from the tip. That kept the tail off the ground and allowed it to swing as the player turned. It looked pretty good.

I was thinking of cutting down the water noodle anyway. I was only thinking of it because they are cheap.

The gf suggested the pipe insulin stuff you find at hardware stores. I may try that. Just wondering how to also do the chain shirt under his vest and the crossbow?

I was thinking also for the sort of heart shaped, or spade shaped tip of the tail of perhaps using cardboard and tracing a shape out and cutting it out, then making a second one and sandwhiching the end of the tail between it then glue the two parts together to the end and using duct tape to make it extra secure. Would that work?

Camp foam works wonders.....

I have no idea what that is or where to find it. Please explain? Also is it costly?

I know there were advice on body paints as well? So what would be a good one to use that wont just rub right off but that isn't going to take all day to wash off?

I tend to prefer "cake" style makeup. BenNye or Mehron has good quality colors. You'll want to apply a layer of Barrier Spray twice...once before applying the make-up, and once after applying the make-up and allowing it to dry. This keeps it from smudging as easily, but comes off with relative ease in the shower with a good soap.

Depends on what you can find the color you want in. For some reason, a good foxy orange-red is a bastard to find.

Back