Dryad Race

there was this movie once about kangaroos that were martial artists...i cannot remember the movie right now but the "earth" kangaroo had the COOOOLEST bamboo armor...and remember in Hook or something like that one of the kids had like straw strapping armor...it ROCKED....bamboo mats and stuff would make good big pieces to cut armor out! they're cheap and bendable and you can use hemp rope to tie them on...

The new book already has more details about what it means to roleplay your race properly and what can happen if you do not (no racial plot, shunning by the elders, and the kind of thing Scotts talked about in his post above).

Seriously, the way to solve players who do not play their racial disads properly is to punish them IG, and if they still insist, you have the racial elders come in and forcibly race change them into boring humans. (That's already in the book).

I had a biata from another chapter play our game one time and he was in a celestial circle casting a ritual. I asked what the hell he was doing and he smiled and said "Oh, yeah I do this all the time; I'm invested in the Mage's Guild circle in my home chapter." I spoke to my Plot Committee after that and we agreed that if he played our game again and I saw him doing anything even close to that, I could ask to see his tags and rip up all his racial skills and tell logistics not to allow him any more. ("Because of your immersion in celestial magics, your mind has been destroyed to the point where you can no longer resist commands or break commands.")

If you want the ads of a race, you have to take the disads. Dryads who try to find powergaming loopholes to get around the metal aversion will be treated similarly.

i spose if you reallllly wanted heavy duty armor you could use a paste of stickiness and attach rocks all over a leather piece huh? orrrr...sew rocks into your leather armor...it would be heavy but ...well ...there ya go...

as a gypsy artisan i don't get to rogue...its just how it is...the bells and coins jingling keep giving me away :( doesn't the book say something about ...you can't be the only gypsy who wears black and avoids parties...or something like that?

Bone can be used for armor, in this case represented by appropriately colored/textured plastics, which should allow for 2 points per location, depending on the type of plastic used. Bone plates attached to leather, perhaps sewn into place with rawhide would make for an excellent physrep.

jnelson said:
Bone can be used for armor, in this case represented by appropriately colored/textured plastics, which should allow for 2 points per location, depending on the type of plastic used. Bone plates attached to leather, perhaps sewn into place with rawhide would make for an excellent physrep.

That is, if the rulebook is amended to include alternate materials to metal and leather. Last I looked, the rulebook lists leather and metal requirements for 2 pt per location and 3 pt per location and does not leave much room for interpretation. Doesn't it state that 2 pt per location must be either heavy leather, light metal, or heavy non-metal that looks like metal? 1 pt per location is much more open to interpretation in that it allows "heavy cloth".

Fearless Leader said:
I had a biata from another chapter play our game one time and he was in a celestial circle casting a ritual. I asked what the hell he was doing and he smiled and said "Oh, yeah I do this all the time; I'm invested in the Mage's Guild circle in my home chapter."

Not to drag this off topic, but, actually, Mike this is not what I said, nor even a fair representation of what was happening.

Alavatar said:
That is, if the rulebook is amended to include alternate materials to metal and leather. Last I looked, the rulebook lists leather and metal requirements for 2 pt per location and 3 pt per location and does not leave much room for interpretation. Doesn't it state that 2 pt per location must be either heavy leather, light metal, or heavy non-metal that looks like metal? 1 pt per location is much more open to interpretation in that it allows "heavy cloth".

Excellent point. I honestly can't say for certain, I do not have the rulebook on me right now, but I will look when I get home.

If nothing else, you get an awesome rep worth 1 point per location.

With the addition of Dryads, I also feel that alternative armor needs to be addressed in the rulebook. I had a druid character in another game that I made sure had no metal on him. Such alternatives that I had for armor were:

Bamboo woven with rope to make a breast plate.
Squares of plywood instead of metal plates for a coat of plates
Woven 1/4" rope into various armor pieces with bone additions

Deadlands said:
jpariury said:
"It comes down to the quantity of the metal and placement. A few little gold coins in a pouch may feel only slightly uncomfortable, but a metal bracer wrapped around the forearm would feel extremely uncomfortable, distractingly uncomfortable.

It is not just the iron content of any particular metal that bothers the Dryads. It's the manipulation of the mineral through heating, melting and forging that throws off its "energy", generating discord to any Child of Autumn who is near it. The level of discord becomes unmanageable when the quantity of metal is large enough to serve as armour."

In bold seems to explane a lot.....but what if its 1000 tiny raw metal...bla bla bla...no...just say no. If it serves as armor or armour its no......(at least from what I understood Gary to say)

dreadpiratebill said:
Telokh_Amdo said:
If Biata sleep in wards or have too many Celestial items, they dont get Prophecy Dreams and racial NPCs don't treat them very well. I imagine similar a roleplay "backlash" will occur for Dryads who wear/carry too much metal.

Really? Interesting. Not that I sleep in wards, I don't. Just intersting thats all.
--bill

Well, that's the way it's supposed to go. The RP restriction is enforced by racial plot.

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
there was this movie once about kangaroos that were martial artists...i cannot remember the movie right now but the "earth" kangaroo had the COOOOLEST bamboo armor...and remember in Hook or something like that one of the kids had like straw strapping armor...it ROCKED....bamboo mats and stuff would make good big pieces to cut armor out! they're cheap and bendable and you can use hemp rope to tie them on...

Warriors of Vitue. More serious than the original TMNT films, though still basically aimed at a younger audience. I liked it a lot.

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
you could use a paste of stickiness and attach rocks all over a leather piece

I think Paste only lasts for 10 minutes. You'd go through an awful lot of Paste just to keep you armor. ;)

can you imagine the weight? whooooof....but it would look cool...sometimes they make bendy tiles for stone tiling your patio floor...not sure they use rubber or metal though for the stones to get stuck to..i'm just very exciting to see my first dryad in game!!!

Tzydl Zhitelava said:

the movie you were thinking about was "warriors of virtue"
and yeah that movie was pretty good and i remember that armor in hook, thats a really good idea!

finally figured out the armor for my reed aquatic dryad that i want to make...i'm hoping it works :D

No, don't give away the secret!!! Keep Marcena in the dark and let her come up with her own design.

You can send me a PM of the design though. LOL

My girlfriend and I both plan on playing Dryads at the first possible event and I think the RP is gonna be awesome. Will things like where baby dryads come from be explained in the race packet?

"I speak for the trees"

Telokh_Amdo said:
No, don't give away the secret!!! Keep Marcena in the dark and let her come up with her own design.

You can send me a PM of the design though. LOL

Nye! I am afraid of dhe dark!

I was thinking about playing a spore dryad, not a reed dryad...I was just curious is all...*pouts**bats eyes*

she lives far away anyways and WOW nice background for the chibbis LUKESKYWALKER...

oh i wanna play a reed aquatic...based on seaweed...her armor is coral....i'm gonna use sponges and sew them on her clothes...

and "i speak for the trees" MY FAVORITE....i have a tshirt that says

I AM THE LORAX

hehehehehehehe

Back