Dryad Race

Questions:

What all is going into the rulebook? Is the simple description provided in the OP the only thing (perhaps with a bit of elaboration)? Will the descriptions of the different types of Dryads be published in the new rulebook, or are those just going to be part of a racial packet?

I ask because if the book does not elaborate on the different types then it should be chapter specific as to what types of dryads are allowed, correct? Which means the standard requirements outlined in the OP are the minimum.

markusdark said:
Telokh_Amdo said:
markusdark said:
Usually the ears on top of the head, the nose, tail, fur or the coloration scheme can tell you that they're a scavenger. As people of the real world, we can recognize the color scheme of animals. The same really isn't true with Dryads. It would be hard to tell the 'fire swamp flower' Dryad from a fire elemental at first glance but something approaching with a pair of ears poking out of the top of their head, I'd be pretty sure it is a scavenger.

You're saying you can't tell the color scheme of plants as easily as that of animals? There are far more plants in the environment than animals. It should be easier. The plant bits on Dryads will be the same identifier for them that fur/ears/prosthetic are for Scavengers.

THAT'S what I am saying. Make it a requirement to have plant bits on you. But make it obvious. Plastic leaves or vines or moss on the head or shoulders. Heck, if you're going to force people with full beards to wear false beards to play a dwarf, you should make the leaf bits much more prominent.

If you look at the photo I posted, the only one I would recognize immediately as a Dryad is #2 (from the left). #1 has a couple of leaves on his neck but they blend in with the hood he wears. Although with it off, (on other pics) it was more identifiable. #3 has no plants whatsoever although there are some vine like makeup drawn on her face - although this could also signify infected veins or something else. #4 looks more like some diseased creature/undead than a Dryad.

As for all the Scavvy's that don't have ears or tails or noses - please post a pic of one that also isn't immediately recognizable via the coloration (like a panda or raccoon).

I've seen plenty of scavs for which I couldn't identify the species. "Is that a dog or a deer?" No pics though, sorry. But yes, all of them were obviously scavs. I think after people begin seeing more dryads in game a familiarity will develop. There is of course always the failsafe "what do I see?" Admittedly, I should have had more leaves on my face while playing the Reed, and it would have been better if we had mushroom prosthetics for Brian, playing the Spore. Your advice is very welcome. It certainly makes us more aware of potential ambiguity. I'm sure PCs playing this race will be able to cultivate their costumes till they clearly represent a Child of Autumn.

Gary

PS. To Jena, fire elementals don't have leaves on their faces, nor swamp moss on their clothes. ;)

Alavatar said:
Questions:

What all is going into the rulebook? Is the simple description provided in the OP the only thing (perhaps with a bit of elaboration)? Will the descriptions of the different types of Dryads be published in the new rulebook, or are those just going to be part of a racial packet?

I ask because if the book does not elaborate on the different types then it should be chapter specific as to what types of dryads are allowed, correct? Which means the standard requirements outlined in the OP are the minimum.

I'm going to include the four basic types in the rule book description. I think it would be great if other chapters created additional types. Desert plant affiliation is not represented among the basic four, for example. One of the reasons I didn't want different racials for different types of Dryads is because if all the racials are the same, then the type one chooses to play is only RP, so the opportunities for creativity are greater. Ultimately, I'll be submitting the section to Mike, and the owners, and what gets in gets in. We’ll see.

Gary

I'm still unclear. I've had it stated in PM that the latter is true, but everything I've read here after that suggest that the former is intended:

Is the "no metal armour" rule a rule-rule like "can't learn read magic", or a roleplay guideline like "no celestial items/sleeping in wards"?

Actually I would be fine with the rule saying,

They don't like metal.
It causes them physical discomfort.
Like having a just this side of scalding piece of metal placed on your bare skin.
If you feel that your character has 'learned' to tolerate such things, you may arrange to prove that fact to a marshal in logistics, who will provide both a blowtorch and a strip of metal.
Don't be a jackass, or we will wake you up in the middle of the night with a glowing cattle brand that says, 'I am a douchebag'.

But then, I would need more lawyers.

Or more shovels.

Whichever.

jpariury said:
I'm still unclear. I've had it stated in PM that the latter is true, but everything I've read here after that suggest that the former is intended:

Is the "no metal armour" rule a rule-rule like "can't learn read magic", or a roleplay guideline like "no celestial items/sleeping in wards"?

It is physically uncomfortable. Too much metal can certainly hurt. The more metal there is, the worse off the Dryad will be. What I have below I've written earlier. A Dryad shouldn't be expected to scream from touching a gold coin. It might just not feel too great to have it in your hand. However, having a steel helm on could make you pass out, moan in agony or urinate yourself. Please read below.

"It comes down to the quantity of the metal and placement. A few little gold coins in a pouch may feel only slightly uncomfortable, but a metal bracer wrapped around the forearm would feel extremely uncomfortable, distractingly uncomfortable.

It is not just the iron content of any particular metal that bothers the Dryads. It's the manipulation of the mineral through heating, melting and forging that throws off its "energy", generating discord to any Child of Autumn who is near it. The level of discord becomes unmanageable when the quantity of metal is large enough to serve as armour."

Deadlands said:
jpariury said:

It is physically uncomfortable. Too much metal can certainly hurt. The more metal there is, the worse off the Dryad will be. What I have below I've written earlier. A Dryad shouldn't be expected to scream from touching a gold coin. It might just not feel too great to have it in your hand. However, having a steel helm on could make you pass out, moan in agony or urinate yourself. Please read below.

"It comes down to the quantity of the metal and placement. A few little gold coins in a pouch may feel only slightly uncomfortable, but a metal bracer wrapped around the forearm would feel extremely uncomfortable, distractingly uncomfortable.

That sounds more like an RP guideline then a rule, then, which is what JP is asking for clarification on.

Deadlands said:
It is not just the iron content of any particular metal that bothers the Dryads. It's the manipulation of the mineral through heating, melting and forging that throws off its "energy", generating discord to any Child of Autumn who is near it. The level of discord becomes unmanageable when the quantity of metal is large enough to serve as armour."

Does that mean that unworked metal is fine? Does that suggest that studded leather or ring mail leather is ok armor?

Is the intent to not allow Dryads to use 3pt per location armor, or just any armor that is mostly metal, or armor with any metal at all in it? Can you make sure to include clarification in the write-up that will be in the book?

The RP guideline is what justifies the armor limitation. On the owners board we initially thought that would be clear, but I'm really glad that Mike posted the specs beforehand, because we are realizing that it was anything but clear to those not involved in the discussion process. We are currently discussing the rule with regard to armor for this race, to do all that we can to make it as clear, as simple, and as sensible as possible

And I will certainly try to make what I contribute to the rule book as simple to understand as possible.

Gary

Deadlands said:
The RP guideline is what justifies the armor limitation. On the owners board we initially thought that would be clear, but I'm really glad that Mike posted the specs beforehand, because we are realizing that it was anything but clear to those not involved in the discussion process. We are currently discussing the rule with regard to armor for this race, to do all that we can to make it as clear, as simple, and as sensible as possible

Just a pro tip, the number of barbarian-containing wards that occur suggests that RP guidelines are not going to be respected if there is a strong game advantage to acting otherwise. I'm a cynic, but occasionally that's for a reason.

If Biata sleep in wards or have too many Celestial items, they dont get Prophecy Dreams and racial NPCs don't treat them very well. I imagine similar a roleplay "backlash" will occur for Dryads who wear/carry too much metal.

Alavatar said:
Does that mean that unworked metal is fine? Does that suggest that studded leather or ring mail leather is ok armor?

I'm not sure that 'unworked' metal is really something that people will see in game. This means metal that remains in its natural ore state - not melted down to make coins or pounded into armor. Studded or Ring would, IMO, be along the lines of where ever the armor touched, it was like having poison ivy or some other major skin irritation.

Wraith said:
Deadlands said:

Just a pro tip, the number of barbarian-containing wards that occur suggests that RP guidelines are not going to be respected if there is a strong game advantage to acting otherwise. I'm a cynic, but occasionally that's for a reason.

Thanks for the tip. We have certainly discussed the prevalent lack of respect for RP guidelines which we have in our game, and the armor limitation will help mitigate such disregard.

my suggestion i guess would be.....if you're looking to play a heavy duty warrior that wears armor all the time...don't play a dryad?

if you're looking to protect yourself magically and toss a bunch of spells about...don't play a barbarian?

just a hunch...i could be wrong...it's happened before HAHAHAHAHAH

Deadlands said:
Thanks for the tip. We have certainly discussed the prevalent lack of respect for RP guidelines which we have in our game, and the armor limitation will help mitigate such disregard.

I like to think that it's not a prevalent lack of respect. It seems to me more that those that have chosen to ignore roleplay rules in the past have been very obvious about it and have been very vocal in complaining when they have been left out of racial plot. We have plenty of barbarians and biata that do not go in wards and that attempt to destroy celestial items as well as many other great roleplayers who are fine examples of their chosen race.

Scott

Telokh_Amdo said:
If Biata sleep in wards or have too many Celestial items, they dont get Prophecy Dreams and racial NPCs don't treat them very well. I imagine similar a roleplay "backlash" will occur for Dryads who wear/carry too much metal.

Really? Interesting. Not that I sleep in wards, I don't. Just intersting thats all.
--bill

Duke Frost said:
Deadlands said:

I like to think that it's not a prevalent lack of respect. It seems to me more that those that have chosen to ignore roleplay rules in the past have been very obvious about it and have been very vocal in complaining when they have been left out of racial plot. We have plenty of barbarians and biata that do not go in wards and that attempt to destroy celestial items as well as many other great roleplayers who are fine examples of their chosen race.

Scott

Fair enough.

markusdark said:
Alavatar said:

I'm not sure that 'unworked' metal is really something that people will see in game. This means metal that remains in its natural ore state - not melted down to make coins or pounded into armor.

Yep. Unworked metal does not have to be iron, copper, or such. There are plenty of minerals that one can find in riverbeds and some mountainous regions that can be fastened to a leather apron.

markusdark said:
Studded or Ring would, IMO, be along the lines of where ever the armor touched, it was like having poison ivy or some other major skin irritation.

If studs and rings and such on armor equate to such irritation would that not mean that rivets and rings in clothing, chains and necklaces, buckles on boots and belts, rings for shoe laces, etc would also add up to be extremely irritating? Does this mean that Dryads will automatically be unable to use the most prominant form of non-weapon magic items (jewelry)? Does this mean that dryads should all be hippies (I am using the term in a non-derogatory manner :D) and only wear/use organic material?

heheheh like dryads are the vegans of alliance? well we can't say that though because they wear leather so hippy is probably a better term...or maybe...the naturalists?

Back