Dryad Race

so...is seaweed okay? i know they're not a plant scavenger but my only exposure to dryads has been narnia...sorry...

before i get too far on planning the costume for my next PC...i was thinking seaweed..with ocean bits attached....like coral and stuff...is that going to be doable?

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
so...is seaweed okay? i know they're not a plant scavenger but my only exposure to dryads has been narnia...sorry...

before i get too far on planning the costume for my next PC...i was thinking seaweed..with ocean bits attached....like coral and stuff...is that going to be doable?

Yes, seaweed is fine. You would be playing a Reed Dryad. They are the ones with aquatic lineage.

So here's a photo of the ones from the National Event - one of each 'species' of Dryad:

Group01.jpg

I believe they go (from left to right) Reed, Barkskin, Thorn and Spore.

However, my first pass I thought it was Barkskin, Thorn, Reed and Spore until I read that the Reed was a "firey looking swamp flower Reed" and, well, there's only one character there in red. ;)

markusdark said:
I believe they go (from left to right) Reed, Barkskin, Thorn and Spore.
Correct! Our versions of the Barkskin and Thorn look a bit similar, mostly because I chose to go with "typical dryad look" instead of playing with flowers (which are, of course, acceptable and encouraged).

markusdark said:
However, my first pass I thought it was Barkskin, Thorn, Reed and Spore until I read that the Reed was a "firey looking swamp flower Reed" and, well, there's only one character there in red. ;)
Because Gary's obsessed with the idea of fiery swamp flower Reeds. It's his thing.

If I may: I think I see where the confusion is coming from. You wouldn't say "I'm an oak tree" or "I'm a waterlily", you'd say "I'm a Barkskin" or "I'm a Reed" -- your outfit is more about where you came from, less about what you "are". If you're a Reed you can look like you came from a swamp or from the ocean; Thorns can be from meadows, marshes, tropical forests, etc. It's not as specific as scavengers, because you're not a specific plant. It's more suggestive than direct.

That said, I think seeing several people come into game as a hedge-maze would make my life.

Flyaway Bird said:
If I may: I think I see where the confusion is coming from. You wouldn't say "I'm an oak tree" or "I'm a waterlily", you'd say "I'm a Barkskin" or "I'm a Reed" -- your outfit is more about where you came from, less about what you "are". If you're a Reed you can look like you came from a swamp or from the ocean; Thorns can be from meadows, marshes, tropical forests, etc. It's not as specific as scavengers, because you're not a specific plant. It's more suggestive than direct.

I'm finally grokking the non-specific plant thing. I can think of Dryads as more like Biata, in a sense. Biata have the feather eyebrows and maybe a claw, but they aren't as "birdy" as a scavenger would be. As Mike V has said, Dyads aren't Plant Scavengers. Thinking of plant-like traits to add to an almost wholly human form seems like more what the Dryad race is supposed to be. The plant traits come from the environment where they live...or maybe they live where the plants are like they are.

Based on the four at the National event, the amount of planty bits can vary. The Reed and Thorn looked almost completely human. The Barkskin really looked like he had bark for skin, though, and the Spore had mottled fungus look for his skin. So some Dryads may be more planty than others, but none to the full-on degree that a scavvy would be.

Am I getting it right, O Dryad writers? :)

Telokh_Amdo said:
Flyaway Bird said:

I'm finally grokking the non-specific plant thing. I can think of Dryads as more like Biata, in a sense. Biata have the feather eyebrows and maybe a claw, but they aren't as "birdy" as a scavenger would be. As Mike V has said, Dyads aren't Plant Scavengers. Thinking of plant-like traits to add to an almost wholly human form seems like more what the Dryad race is supposed to be. The plant traits come from the environment where they live...or maybe they live where the plants are like they are.

Based on the four at the National event, the amount of planty bits can vary. The Reed and Thorn looked almost completely human. The Barkskin really looked like he had bark for skin, though, and the Spore had mottled fungus look for his skin. So some Dryads may be more planty than others, but none to the full-on degree that a scavvy would be.

Am I getting it right, O Dryad writers? :)

( I haveta be the dissenter)

With biata, you know that they're biata because every one of them has feathers. Maybe different colors or different locations, but feathers. There is nothing in common between the spores and the others visually. Some have leaves, some have vines, some have bark, some have spore like stuff. The issue I have is that I see a lot of people saying "What do I see?" whenever a Dryad comes towards them because there is no uniformed identification of them.

Now, if all dryad were required to wear some form of plant matter from the shoulders up (vine crown, moss draped over the shoulders) - so that we could easily see and identify them as such, it would be a little bit easier.

markusdark said:
he issue I have is that I see a lot of people saying "What do I see?" whenever a Dryad comes towards them because there is no uniformed identification of them.

There is also no uniform identification for Scavengers. One must ask that same question every time you see a new scavvy IG, unless they have a kick-*** prosthetic that leaves no doubt. Though not Scavengers, Dryads seem to be following that same trend.

Telokh_Amdo said:
There is also no uniform identification for Scavengers. One must ask that same question every time you see a new scavvy IG, unless they have a kick-*** prosthetic that leaves no doubt. Though not Scavengers, Dryads seem to be following that same trend.

Or the coloration, of course. Very few people mistake Shin for anything but a fox of some sort.

jnelson said:
Even with the prosthetic...occasionally you get mistaken for something else. The number of times I got called a racoon this past event...

Maybe you should just learn the Sexual Harassment Panda dance... that would remove all doubt. :)

Telokh_Amdo said:
markusdark said:
he issue I have is that I see a lot of people saying "What do I see?" whenever a Dryad comes towards them because there is no uniformed identification of them.

Usually the ears on top of the head, the nose, tail, fur or the coloration scheme can tell you that they're a scavenger. As people of the real world, we can recognize the color scheme of animals. The same really isn't true with Dryads. It would be hard to tell the 'fire swamp flower' Dryad from a fire elemental at first glance but something approaching with a pair of ears poking out of the top of their head, I'd be pretty sure it is a scavenger.

markusdark said:
Usually the ears on top of the head, the nose, tail, fur or the coloration scheme can tell you that they're a scavenger. As people of the real world, we can recognize the color scheme of animals. The same really isn't true with Dryads. It would be hard to tell the 'fire swamp flower' Dryad from a fire elemental at first glance but something approaching with a pair of ears poking out of the top of their head, I'd be pretty sure it is a scavenger.

except for all of the animals / scavengers that don't have ears... or tails.. etc. etc.

got it...i appreciate the description simirina!

i couldn't see the pics that were put on this post because my company doesn't let what it calls "streaming media" be seen are they posted on the picture gallery or would someone be an amazing doll and email them to me at jennine.lawson@casella.com
i'd love that...

markusdark said:

You're saying you can't tell the color scheme of plants as easily as that of animals? There are far more plants in the environment than animals. It should be easier. The plant bits on Dryads will be the same identifier for them that fur/ears/prosthetic are for Scavengers.

according to what i'm understaning its not a "hey that looks like a maple dryad" its more like "hey that looks like a barkthingy" later on after much inspection they may look more like a maple leafy thing but they are recognized more as bardthingy dryad..or sporethingy....honestly i've never seen a fire elemental with leaves but there are bushes that look as though they're on fire...i feel sorry for someone who starts to attack an innocent bush dryad on the fire elemental assumption ha!i spose if there's a question wait till something pokes you first...heheheheheh

Telokh_Amdo said:
markusdark said:

You're saying you can't tell the color scheme of plants as easily as that of animals? There are far more plants in the environment than animals. It should be easier. The plant bits on Dryads will be the same identifier for them that fur/ears/prosthetic are for Scavengers.

THAT'S what I am saying. Make it a requirement to have plant bits on you. But make it obvious. Plastic leaves or vines or moss on the head or shoulders. Heck, if you're going to force people with full beards to wear false beards to play a dwarf, you should make the leaf bits much more prominent.

If you look at the photo I posted, the only one I would recognize immediately as a Dryad is #2 (from the left). #1 has a couple of leaves on his neck but they blend in with the hood he wears. Although with it off, (on other pics) it was more identifiable. #3 has no plants whatsoever although there are some vine like makeup drawn on her face - although this could also signify infected veins or something else. #4 looks more like some diseased creature/undead than a Dryad.

As for all the Scavvy's that don't have ears or tails or noses - please post a pic of one that also isn't immediately recognizable via the coloration (like a panda or raccoon).

i saw someone playing a dryad that was a bark one (NOT alliance tho!) and she was a birch tree...so she had these bits of white bark curled up and glued to her face and arms...so there were brownish lines smattered about on a bone white flesh...she looked undead...i thought her "bark" was skin falling off...so i thought she was a leper...just have to wait until you know for sure..then when i was told what she was i was like "OH YEAH THATS SO COOL!" its a game...not all of us have hollywood make up kits...but can't have leaves be a requirement because...well not all plants have leaves...look at the pencil plant...and spores have no leaves, reeds don't necessarily have leaves..in fact a person playing a spore to me might look like a leper as well....again with the being careful who you kill rule :D HEHEHEHEHE makes it trickier!

Back