Dryad Race

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea behind the race, and can't wait to see them in play. I was just curious as to the rules mechanic, so asked the question.

Apparently that is taken as 'xomg this is horribles!!1!' lately.

Come on, folks, relax a bit. This is the internet, and tone of voice doesn't really carry. :D

Fearless Leader said:
Mobius said:
¿are there any make-up, prosthetic, or costume requirements?

Plant-like; leaves in the hair, greenish designs on the face, that sort of thing. I'll upload pictures from the event soon.

Do the different Dryad types require different make-up? Though leaves are certainly appropriate for Thorn, Reed and Barkskin, I really don't see leaves being appropriate to the Spore/Fungus type.

Speaking of types of dryads... Mike I figure you'll be making 1 of each?

Telokh_Amdo said:
Fearless Leader said:
Mobius said:
¿are there any make-up, prosthetic, or costume requirements?

Plant-like; leaves in the hair, greenish designs on the face, that sort of thing. I'll upload pictures from the event soon.

Do the different Dryad types require different make-up? Though leaves are certainly appropriate for Thorn, Reed and Barkskin, I really don't see leaves being appropriate to the Spore/Fungus type.

You are correct. We are asking people to be creative, much in the manner that people do so for their scavengers.

Thorns are the most traditional type of Dryad. They can have vines, leaves and flowers.

Reeds are a little more aquatic looking. They can have vines, leaves and flowers, but they should look a little more like something out of a swamp, pond, or some other body of water. One could play a fiery looking swamp flower Reed, much like the one we had at the national, or someone could make a Reed that looks like a sea plant. Etc etc.

Barkskins look like trees. That can include leaves, bark and branches.

Spores look like mushrooms, moss and fungus. They wouldn't have leaves, but could easily rely on other prosthetics to enhance their costume.

Both make up and prosthetics should be used in some manner. One could go light on the make up and heavier on the fake leaves, or light on the leaves and heavy on the make up. It’s up to the player and his or her respective chapter.

Obviously not all plants fit easily into these categories, but in the end, the point is to have fun and be innovative. Simply check in with your local plot committee to make sure your costume and character ideas work with your respective chapter.

For example: If someone wanted to play a cactus looking Dryad I would recommend that they RP being from the desert. From a plot perspective, this would be a total anomaly, since all The Children of Autumn have thus far been native to a forest climate. Therefore, we would have to come up with some sensible reason for why this one particular character looks more like a cactus. It’s really not a problem though, so long as your plot committee is okay with it. It is just RP, since the racials and limitations don’t change from one type of Dryad to another, which doesn’t entirely make IG sense (since a tree is obviously very different from a flower), but for OOG logistics and overall game balance and continuity, the same racials apply to all Dryads.

What Gary said, I was in the middle of writing almost something similar. Also take into account for seasonal changes, which would affect plant color.

Justin H-

Since I am nearly bald, does that mean i can only play a dryad in the winter season?

Scott (the oh so helpful)

Paint your head grey and make somekind of brim hat and you could pass off as a spore! LOL

I see many trips to the local Michael's for Sphangum moss for some... Dryads would just be so cool to costume!

this is actually really awesome. it's just like the plant version of a scavanger. there are endless possabilities! :mrgreen:

Duke Frost said:
Since I am nearly bald, does that mean i can only play a dryad in the winter season?

Scott (the oh so helpful)

So Scott, the Brothers Fungus? Oh man! The possibilities!!

AllianceCHI said:
Speaking of types of dryads... Mike I figure you'll be making 1 of each?

Just one. ;) Still deciding which. In order of preference: Spore, Reed, Thorn, Barkskin

paythin said:
Also take into account for seasonal changes, which would affect plant color.

This is an awesome way to represent the specifics of a particular plant. When does it bloom? How does it grow? What climate is it best suited to? A Pine Barkskin would be green year round, but Oak, sorry, you'll need fall plumage then bald for winter!

I have some ideas for a Reed, but I'll need to do some research on specific types.

/insert twig and berries responses here.

>.>

Tetsu said:

No fracking way am I playing a spore that looks like that. I like the NJ NPC 'shrooms with a similar look, but not as a Dryad.

They are a race -- NOT plant scavengers. You should not make yourself look like an animated plant, but a human with plant like markings, leaves, and such.

A dryad should not have a mushroom head any more than a biata should have a beak or a human have a monkey's tail.

On the other hand, that does give me a great idea for a gpysy curse... :mrgreen:

just somthing funny to think about...

Dryads are people of plant and wood and dont use metal they use wood items but wouldnt that be like humans swinging Flesh items?
I know its clasic fantasy for them to do this and its neat dont get me wrong and i am not saying it should be like this but it just strikes me as funny
that it works like this.

The Dryad race seems awsome while I dont think I would play one I think the idea is super cool

FW

Tetsu said:

This reminds me of the first time I ever saw Matt roleplay. He went out as one of the mushroom people. "Just give us the nightshade. That's all we want." I was totally like "Awwww... that poor death swinging mushroom guy. I mean, is it really too much to ask for a little nightshade?" If I'd had any I totally would have given him some.

Back