Food for April: POTLUCK EDITION!

Noted! Thank you, Mandy!

Joe - can you provide coffee filters in addition to the coffee, or should I/should we put it out there we need them?

If you need to borrow a crock pot let me know. Also I can pitch in chilli as a mid day snack/meal.

Its a good idea to bring in extra crock pots to keep things warm. I know there is one on site and all the others are normally brought in by Chad, Amanda, and myself. So keep that in mind when thinking of foods to make!!

edit---

Also I can help for dinner Saturday. I am not dependable enough to make it for breakfast.......I wont wake up......

I remembered last night that it might be a good idea to try and give everyone an idea of exactly how MUCH food you'll be bringing so that we can ensure we have enough food for all the meals! Make sure that you say how many MEALS you can make so there's no ambiguity.

I'll make enough stew for at least ten meals. I'll try to make a vegetarian version also.

I'll bring enough drinks for roughly ten meals also.

I'll also bring in my crock pot, it's pretty small. I'm also going to clean and de-label a ton of Kraken rum bottles (cause they look awesome) in case people want to serve beverages in somewhat in-period containers. I'll also bring a funnel.

Angel - there's no harm in bringing an extra crock pot. I'm going to see if I can obtain one or two myself. I agree with you that the more we have, the better.

Frisco - also a good idea for estimates of how much we'll be bringing. I'm going to try to crank out enough stuff for ten to twenty meals - what I'm making is simple and hopefully cheap, so I should, money permitting, be able to hook us up with a lot of beef.

So, what's the total number of meals we need? That way we can keep a cool little "completion counter" at the bottom of the first post. I'll assume we have roughly the same turnout as we did the first time and if if we overshoot it we'll just have more food and leftovers!

Breakfast on Saturday morning (50 meals)
Dinner of Saturday (50 meals)
Breakfast Sunday (50 meals)

And I bet we could easily run off of leftovers and snacks for lunch on both days and Friday night if we bring 150 meals.

150 sounds like a pretty solid number. :3 If we get more than that? GOLDEN! We should keep in mind that some folks may want seconds, too.

I plan to be there for this event, Sign me up for the Breakfast shifts, but please don't leave me in there alone. My track record with Crossroads means I will injury myself somehow and with all that fire and heat around, it won't end well for me.

Oh, I'll also volunteer on the days when my food is being served. I'll be bringing the ingredients for the stew uncooked so it doesn't get all gross and mushy. I suppose that will be Saturday evening then.

EDIT: Just put me wherever. Strew is great no matter what time it is.

As one of the folks with a pretty severe shellfish allergy, I'd like to request that people avoid making dishes that feature any of the major food allergies. People want to plan what they'll bring now, but we may not get a person with a specific allergy to pre-register until the last minute. Also, we can have people show up at the door and/or fail to mention the food allergies.

The possibility for cross-contamination is also pretty large in this situation. Lots of people, plates, and crock pots moving around and sharing the same counter tops.

I'm far from 100% when it comes to bringing my epi-pen, but I will try to remember one (or both that I have) for the next event and have it in the kitchen.

Apologies to anyone who really wanted to bring some lobster bisque, but if that's on the table I won't be eating in the tavern.

Tyson - so far we only have Donna bringing a fish dish and it does not involve shellfish. Is this acceptable, or should we avoid all forms of fish?

Fish is okay. Just shellfish.

The top 8 food allergens (the ones that food products have to label) are:

Milk
Eggs
Peanuts
Tree nuts (such as almonds, cashews, walnuts)
Fish (such as bass, cod, flounder)
Shellfish (such as crab, lobster, shrimp)
Soy
Wheat

Of these, I know that Peanuts are the most extreme (they're the most likely to generate airborne proteins and/or aerosolize while cooking) and Tree nuts and Shellfish can be very severe (anaphylaxis) when ingested. I'm not as familiar with the others, plus I imagine it's very hard to have things avoiding all of those.

I'll amend my previous suggestion to say that shellfish, peanuts, and tree nuts should be avoided. For the rest, people should please be considerate and label which of these ingredients are in the dish. (It's not always as obvious as "Warning. Peanut butter contains peanuts.")

Also if anyone else has a specific allergy, whether or not it's one of the above, please mention it here so we can be aware.

Tyson

Maybe we should think about adding an allergy list to pre-reg forms. That way food committee knows what not to make. Just an idea

edit--

Also the chilli I make is about 15 medium bowls. So it's a good filler meal or even a dinner.

HNNNNGH PIE CAAAAAKE!

Frisco- I put you down for Saturday night and Sunday morning. Is that cool?

Angel- I love the idea of an allergen field on the pre-reg form.

Folks- I'm currently only listed as working Saturday night, but I wanted to clarify that I'll be in the kitchen in the mornings after I crow. I'll happily do dishes. I'll also serve on Saturday.

I'm going to bring chili and eggs.

I've no idea how hot Angel's Chili is, but several people that attended the event where Noot cooked chili can attest to the spiciness of my chili. On the Tom Scale, that event's chili was about a 6. I'll probably aim for about the same. At least one player said they needed to use a Resist Element to finish the bowl.

The chili will likely provide 15 meals.

I'm also going to find some kind of dish with scorpions in it. I haven't eaten them in a while. :D

No Beef and Bacon pie this time around. I still haven't found a decent Paleo pie crust. At least I haven't found one I can't ruin.

I can also provide a crock pot.

Back