I Miss Ward Keys

zehnyu

Squire
Duke Frost said:
A level 20 character can run with and be useful with a level 40 character. But a level 5 really can't with a level 20 character.
Scott
I think it depends on the individual playing that level five character. But this is a complete derail of the conversation and would be another topic. So back on track :)

2 cents.
-Ali
 

Morganne

Fighter
I don't think it needs to be a fear of death, but a fear of loss.. that loss doesn't necessarily need to be the story/friends/fun of playing that character.

This is also a total derail, though. :)
 

markusdark

Knight
BTW, the thing that I have noticed about people not wishing to perm their characters is that suddenly the rules become more flexible to them. One that sticks out in my mind greatly is a character that was taken down and their body hid. Well they decided that moaning out loud wasn't really breaking the spirit of the game - and just happened to bring some players to his aid. But I'm sure that there is some other fudging that goes on when a player is suddenly presented with the option of losing their 7 year old character with the next trip to the circle. That should not be a factor but the fear of the loss of all that invested time and money does things to even the most honest players.
 
I started this topic. It simply stated that I miss ward keys. So unless people are talking about ward keys, it's all kind of a derailment.

So we either keep having a general game conversation or we go back to ward keys.

Remember when your teammate with the ward key would get engulfed? Now those were good times. Before you called for a life spell, you'd search for the ward key.

Scott
 

jpariury

Duke
Evolution of the thread:

Scott - I miss ward keys.
ChrioLA - I miss spellsinging! Harmonics was cool!
David - We should have more healing!
JP - No. We need less.
Tom - Say what?
JP - Loss of characters is better for the game overall.
Markus - People whine when they might perm.
JP - Cards are not investments.
etc.

I lurve internet forumz.
 
Scott,


Dude with ward key is always dead inside the ward.... I hate wards. Unless im NPCing then I love wards because they give the PCs a false sense of security.

Paul
 

Mike Ventrella

Duke
Owner
Moderator
HQ Staff
jpariury said:
Evolution of the thread:

Scott - I miss ward keys.
ChrioLA - I miss spellsinging! Harmonics was cool!
David - We should have more healing!
JP - No. We need less.
Tom - Say what?
JP - Loss of characters is better for the game overall.
Markus - People whine when they might perm.
JP - Cards are not investments.
etc.

I lurve internet forumz.
Adjusted appropriately:

Scott - I miss ward keys.
ChrioLA - I miss spellsinging! Harmonics was cool!
Mike V - I can't remember what the old rules were. I'm getting senile.
David - We should have more healing!
JP - No. We need less.
Tom - Say what?
JP - Loss of characters is better for the game overall.
Markus - People whine when they might perm.
JP - Cards are not investments.
etc.
 
LOL

I to enjoy the synopsis. Anyways...

I would generally agree that I'll be more sad to lose the story/IG friendships for my character than the build. Although the build gaining ability is inflated, I'd also tend to agree with Scott that a lvl 20 character doesn't have too much trouble running with a lvl 40 character.

Allie, strange exceptions to the rule, such as lvl 5 characters you play scaring away Death Knights don't count...

And for the record you have to do a LOT of work the "speed level" a character. Either spend a crap ton of money, or donate the equivalent of a NPC camp in weapons/packets/costume/makeup to 5-7 chapters to goblin stamp your way through speed leveling. Is it really so horrible to let someone who wants to make that much of an investment and contribution to the game have a high level character? And lets face it, in many ways getting a 20th level character these days means you are "catching up" to play with the big boys so to speak.

That said, perming obviously need to be a part of the game. Personally I prefer playing with plot teams that don't worry about killing everyone. There will always be people who complain about it when it happens, heck I might from time to time. But even with large wipes of players the resurrection system means most of them come back.

And also, low level can be very fun too. Just by saying I don't think having prevalent high level games is bad I don't mean to imply that I think low level is "less superior or some crap".

Lastly, Scott, you totally knew this was going to end up as a 6 page thread about everything under the sun when you started this. AND you just wanted to be the one to start it. :p
 
Not really. I was just sitting at my desk reminiscing (with myself!) about how cool ward keys were. I completely understand why they went away and most likely voted for them to go away, but they sure were cool.

I was involved with one of the incidents that spurred the change though, as I was NPCing and chasing a PC up to his door. I hear "Ward down" from the back of the cabin and he runs in. Someone about 15-20 feet away from the door evidently made the call, while the rule stated the ward key had to be in the lock on the door. Thus the "remote control ward key" was born and rules were changed. It ended up removing some cheese from the game and also improving the customer service spell that is the ward.

Scott
 
whoa, that sounds like it could be cool. Similar to the shun affect now. Although from how much trouble Shun is I can see why they went...
 

Gilwing

Baron
Alliance Logistics
Duke Frost said:
I started this topic. It simply stated that I miss ward keys. So unless people are talking about ward keys, it's all kind of a derailment.

So we either keep having a general game conversation or we go back to ward keys.

Remember when your teammate with the ward key would get engulfed? Now those were good times. Before you called for a life spell, you'd search for the ward key.

Scott
I don't know if it was part of the rules but I remember that some one "left" the ward key in the ward. That sucks; or how about getting rolled and then having the people that did it run away with the key.
 

markusdark

Knight
Gilwing said:
I don't know if it was part of the rules but I remember that some one "left" the ward key in the ward. That sucks; or how about getting rolled and then having the people that did it run away with the key.
It would have been impossible to leave the ward key in the ward as the way it worked is that you put the key into the 'lock' and that's when you said "Ward Down". To put it back up again, you'd have to pull it out of the lock and say "Ward Up."

But the getting rolled thing was something that people had to be careful about - and I liked that.
 

jpariury

Duke
markusdark said:
It would have been impossible to leave the ward key in the ward
Untrue. Something rifts in, kills the only guy in there, who happened to have the ward key, rifts out, and now your ward key is stuck in the building. The game has numerous ways in which it is easily possible to be stuck outside your ward with the ward key inside.
 

markusdark

Knight
jpariury said:
markusdark said:
It would have been impossible to leave the ward key in the ward
Untrue. Something rifts in, kills the only guy in there, who happened to have the ward key, rifts out, and now your ward key is stuck in the building. The game has numerous ways in which it is easily possible to be stuck outside your ward with the ward key inside.
I meant leave it - as akin to locking your keys in your car. That's what the person I responded to seemed to imply.
 

Gilwing

Baron
Alliance Logistics
markusdark said:
jpariury said:
markusdark said:
It would have been impossible to leave the ward key in the ward
Untrue. Something rifts in, kills the only guy in there, who happened to have the ward key, rifts out, and now your ward key is stuck in the building. The game has numerous ways in which it is easily possible to be stuck outside your ward with the ward key inside.
I meant leave it - as akin to locking your keys in your car. That's what the person I responded to seemed to imply.

Yes. I remember some one leaving the key in the lock and never saying ward up...some one was rolled inside the ward and then his friend walked over to the cabin and noticed that the key was sitting in the lock.
 

ChrioLA

Newbie
I liked Spell Singing, I hated Harmonics in 99.99% of the incarnations I saw.

ChrioLA: I miss old cooler rules and have a desire for more end game content within our existing system
 
Top