I Miss Ward Keys

Duke Frost said:
It's sad is someone quits because they perm, surely. But we've lost a ton more people to life changes or just plain old moving on to other hobbies or other games. HQ has close to 2,000 people in the database, with maybe 200 that have actually played a game in the last few years. 1,800 people have not permed and quit. It would be interested to see how many people with permed characters no longer play. Until we run some kind of figures, the "people quit because they perm" theory is anecdotal only. I'm not saying it doesn't happen and it doesn't suck, but even if it's 100 people out of 1800 that no longer play, there are bigger reasons people stop playing.
Scott

<nods> I fall under the "haven't been able to play lately". Then again, my character's pretty much in limbo, as I have the somewhat unusual problem of the two people I played with being dead-in-real-life-dead, and I have another game that's got my drive from VA-to-NJ time locked up.

That's usually what happens- I'd say the number of people in the LARPs I've been who quit due to perming is a very, very small percentage. The cases I can think of it was due to stuff aside from the perm itself- being made unwelcome by other players owing to being a jerk themselves, feeling they were "screwed" by the game in some way, and so on.

That being said, being permed isn't the same as ceasing to be. There's a pair of swords from my first character. I died, they ended up passed down through multiple other characters, who permed in turn. They're currently on their fourth owner, and have quite a history as a result. Your friends will still tell stories about you- even if it's as simple as "Don't tic off that dragon mage, do you want to end up like Donut the Doomed? Why, he got turned to ashes right over there...". And most importantly, YOU aren't gone, nor are your friends. When I started playing again, I was expecting to just start a character with no connections and build up from there- my friends pretty much made that impossible. You won't be starting from zero, folks -do- help you get new costume and the rest of your kit together for whatever you bring in as your new main.

Take a look at the people you play with. If you permed, do you really think they wouldn't help you getting another character started and have fun with you doing it?

Duke Frost said:
I started this topic. It simply stated that I miss ward keys. So unless people are talking about ward keys, it's all kind of a derailment.

So we either keep having a general game conversation or we go back to ward keys.

Remember when your teammate with the ward key would get engulfed? Now those were good times. Before you called for a life spell, you'd search for the ward key.

Scott

The worst thing I ever saw with a ward key? Someone got into a cabin (perfectly legal), rogue-looted it, and then warded it for good measure afterwards...and planted the key in another cabin with some of the loot. :evil:

I'm gonna derail the ward keys thread again for a moment, muahaha.

I am of the I really don't want my main character to perm camp. I've spent a good deal of money getting together costuming that will be unique for her. Some of it I can use for other characters but my wild elf certainly does not wear the same style of clothing as my biata. I have a lot of flavor and dedication I've put into her and I would honestly feel worse about losing the IG connections and stories I've worked on rather than the stat card when she perms. Yes, I would be upset if she died. Yes, I know that is a very real possibility in this game and I still play the game full on. Heck, I've eaten an obliteration from a vampire, been sacrificed in a circle as part of a ritual and other such fun things in the less than 5 years I've been playing her. Yes, I bought back my deaths so I am in the 10% club still. All that being said, I know that I could very well perm the next time I rez and while I would be disappointed and sad, I think perms themselves add a lot of story to the game. I'd probably NPC the next couple events until I got over it, but that's a good thing for the game too. I don't think it's wrong to play the game not wanting your character to perm and to lose that investment whether it be for monetary reasons or IG plot reasons. However, I do think it's wrong to expect that to never happen and I think the vast majority of our players know it will and are ok with that at least on some level.

Yes, I'm one of those nasty people who chapter hopped and donated money or props to other chapters to beef up my level, especially while I've been stuck here in Iraq and unable to play at all. I don't think doing that was a bad thing. It helped other chapters with their props and hopefully the cash helped defray camp costs. I can't say I've dedicated a lot of time to the chapters in any form other than money or props donations. I wish I had more time because I know money doesn't nail boards together and build camps, as I'm sure Scott is all too aware of. However, it's the best I could do at the time and I think people should be encouraged to donate whatever they can and not feel bad if they can't dedicate the time but instead donate cash. Once I get out of this desert and I have a few months of free time, I'll be coming up for work weekends at HQ to lend some physical help to things, that's a promise.

Back