Jackrabbit kin

Istobla

I have this idea for a kin character that i think would be fun to play, A jackrabbit kin and as i am new to Alliance i would like to hear from some people with more experience. I was thinking Racial dodge and Racial Assassinate, the first being an obvious choice, and the last being based on having seen rabbits fight. this isn't some bush bunny, and i imagine a jackrabbit that learns to swing a sword to be a hit and run go for the back sort of fighter(or rouge as i will likely play him). And for the prosthetic/look, i was thinking of making some real fur ears, and that plus face paint would work well. I think it would be neat to have very touchable ears and play very defensive of them, not let anyone touch them. i don't really want to go with a face prosthetic as face and nose twitches would, in my mind, be very important to role playing.
The Ears i was thinking of doing a hairband, under my hair if possible, and behind my ears, with bendable wire with fur sewn around them for ears. i would appreciate any tips on that that come to mind. i would likely have two pairs to change from summer to winter.
I would also like to hear about any of your experience playing or playing with rabbit kin, and how they should interact with other races. Mine would likely be very nervous particularly because last game in my chapter, a large group of pcs got tuned into sar. now jackrabbits, when compared to bush bunnies, are not afraid of common cats, as they are the same size but a pack of predators is another story.

for the ears, I would recommend using foam (1" thick) and hot glue the fur to it.
problem with wire is that it could end up either poking you in the head or tearing through the fur if you take a swing high.

If you need it to be stiffer due to size, insulation foam dries hard & is easily cut down to the form you want. It is my plan for some wolf ears.

Really depends on if you want standing ears or lop ears. Lop would be the easiest, just sew the ears out of whatever fabric you like (I'd go with faux fur with a fleece inner ear), then stuff it with quilt batting and attach to a headband or headgear. Standing ears could be the same thing, just add something in the way of a flexible core, a couple layers of craft foam back to back would probably work well.

Jackrabbits aren't really predators, much less ambush predators, so I'm not sure that Racial Assassinate is particularly appropriate.

I also recommend wearing a hood... rabbitkyn with four ears always strike me as weird. ;)

jpariury said:
Jackrabbits aren't really predators, much less ambush predators, so I'm not sure that Racial Assassinate is particularly appropriate.

You obviously have never seen the rabbit from Month Python
holygrail08.jpg

*I am sure that you have seen this movie. I think that 99% of NERO/Alliance has seen it*

jpariury said:

I also recommend wearing a hood... rabbitkyn with four ears always strike me as weird. ;)

While not predators, it's also not called rabbit kicking for nothing. Rabbits have been known to eviscerate what's attacking them if they get a shot at a soft underbelly with their hind claws. They also bite surprisingly fast and hard when you least expect it. (And I have a small scar to prove that last one.)

To the OP, I've seen one played with racial slay before, but that was also before racial assassinate was available. It's certainly worth exploring with your local chapter if that's the way you're wanting to go.

I'm going to echo the commentary that going with a foam inner core versus wire is probably a better idea. What I've seen work really well for ears is actually getting the craft foam (the kind that comes in lots of colors for kids to craft with... y'know, foamies) and hot gluing fur down to that. It'll stand up well enough, but will also give if you take an errant head shot. Keep in mind that with ears going up, you're going to create a larger head target. It's also very easy to take a shot in a prosthetic and not know it. I'd actually recommend something like Usagi Yojimbo if you're going to go with ears up rather than lop.

Well, as Inaryn said, rabbits can be very dangerous, and when you don't expect it, hence Assassinate rather than Proficiency. It is something i need to put to my chapter but i am prepared to make my case
I will better explain my ear plan i hope. It starts with a hair band right behind the RW ears, with my hair covering it. The ears would be made each around a loop of wire, with the pointy ends firmly attached to the hair band, glued or more likely epoxied, to cover the pointy bits. the fur, and i say fur because i have more experience with leather than fabric for costuming and frequent Tandy, but faux fur could work, would be across the back and folded in around the wire so that it created a ear with a hairless part on the inside. the four ear thing is a problem but a hood would effect my hearing. i was thinking of if possible having the fur come down to my ears and gum them on somehow. Lop ear bunnies are pets usually and very different for jackrabbits. with wire, i would be able to pose them up for alert of back for fighting/angry/belligerent. not sure how i will be doing a helmet, the rest of my armor is wax hardened leather laminar, with a not quite samurai look. i don't really thing i want to do an ear topknot.
0003xwct.jpg

on that last one, they totaly stole my idea!
i had an idea years ago to do a samurai bunny. and then i find the stupid comic! omg was i mad.

but a jackrabbit, that would be cool
i play a wolfkin
and the way i made my ears was, i took a headband usually ment for hair, and made it so i could detach the ears if i wanted or slide them back and forth, there is also two wires in them one for standing up and bending the tip a little, the other for curling, they cross in the middle.

but yeah, probably flopping the ears for the rabbit is really the best. or have them at the sides of your head and going out at a diangle, kind of like night elf ears if u play wow.

Must have been a bit ago, Usagi Yojimbo's been in print for 23 years. :D

Look at the haunches on that jack rabbit. Now, imagine a Jack Rabbit Kin the size of a human male, and imagine being kicked by those rear feet, with the claws it would have.
IMG_2510.jpg

I see no reason why Racial Assasinate wouldn't be valid, although Racial Proficiency might be a more appropriate choice.

I dunno. I don't buy it. Rabbits with racial assassinates just don't do it for me. By that token, we should allow butterflies with racial profs and assassinates ("They can carry nine times their own weight, and if one hit you, you know you'd never expect it!"). We just reduce to ridiculousness under those auspices pretty quickly.

jpariury said:
I dunno. I don't buy it. Rabbits with racial assassinates just don't do it for me. By that token, we should allow butterflies with racial profs and assassinates ("They can carry nine times their own weight, and if one hit you, you know you'd never expect it!"). We just reduce to ridiculousness under those auspices pretty quickly.

In the end, it's ultimately up to the player's plot team to approve. If the player makes a good case, and the plot team accepts it, *shrug*.

IMO, Racial Assassinate makes much more sense than Racial Slay. I can think of racials that make even less sense than RA... such as Resist Fear or Resist Element*. In fact, given the delicate constitutions of some species of rabbit, I'd honestly say that, once again in my opinion, Racial Assassinate makes more sense than Resist Poison.

*Except for Lightning. Damn rabbit I took care of loved to chew through live power cords for some reason. Was funny during a lecture. Not so funny on my new stereo.

Inaryn said:
In the end, it's ultimately up to the player's plot team to approve. If the player makes a good case, and the plot team accepts it, *shrug*.
Actually, it's somewhat up to every chapter's plot team said character attempts to go to... Wylderkin are the one weird exception to the rule that allows plot teams to deny part of the character's build if they don't feel it's appropriate.

jpariury said:
Inaryn said:
Actually, it's somewhat up to every chapter's plot team said character attempts to go to... Wylderkin are the one weird exception to the rule that allows plot teams to deny part of the character's build if they don't feel it's appropriate.

That's another discussion entirely...

That's true, but I can't think of a single instance of a chapter actually enforcing that. I can think of ONE player we asked to see the justification for a racial that seemed odd, and when they produced articles on the species of kin they wanted to play, it made sense so we let it through.

The only other suggestion I'd have is resist command... ever try to get a rabbit to do... well... ANYTHING? LOL They do have some nasty powerful back legs, and between those and their highly painful incisors (I share your pain Sarah) I'd be ok with claws. I've been bitten by snakes (non-venemous thankfully) and rabbits, and given the choice, I'll take the snake.

Just don't pick resist magic, because if that was the case, nobody'd ever be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat :funny:

Well, they actually do have pretty big claws on the back legs. As noted, they can eviscerate characters with a good rabbit kick.

jpariury said:
Show me some good vid of a rabbit cleaving someone in twain with a leg kick and I might go with it. ;)
Rending someone in twain with a leg kick? Show me a video of any extant creature doing that. I call shenannigans.

I'd allow it, based on evidence from this site: http://www.chintiminiwildlife.org/Educa ... ilBush.htm

Brush rabbits are normally timid, and their best defense is speed, but they can defend themselves by biting and kicking; brush rabbits can even climb trees. A mother brush rabbit can drive off a snake or even a raccoon twice her size when defending her young. Because a wild rabbit can be quite vicious in defending itself, it is not a good idea to try to pick one up.

Back