Jackrabbit kin

jpariury said:
Defending oneself =/= cleaving someone in half. Likewise, buck teeth + strong legs =/= claws.

Who said anything about cleaving someone in half?

Inaryn said:
Roy did:
iWolfe said:
As noted, they can eviscerate characters with a good rabbit kick.
I don't know of a better description of "eviscerate" than making what was one into two.

To be honest, Racial Slays, Assassinates and Profs are pretty much right out in my mind as well, because excepting Monty Python sketches (which would be disallowed under the "no unicornkyn" rule) and possibly coating Fluffy in spiky armor and hurling him in the faces of your foes (no Cannonball-Specials in Alliance, sadly), I just don't see a good argument in favor of them either.

Inaryn said:
jpariury said:
Defending oneself =/= cleaving someone in half. Likewise, buck teeth + strong legs =/= claws.

This guy:

iWolfe said:
Well, they actually do have pretty big claws on the back legs. As noted, they can eviscerate characters with a good rabbit kick.

An "evisceration" is not cleaving something in two, it is a severe lasceration across the abdomen that exposes internal organs, often leading to the spilling out of said organs. This can be accomplished with a single slice across the belly from a single sharp object such as a claw. It would still make sense given the biological evidence.

However, that point is moot as the OP is taking racial assassinate, an undefined form of surprise instant severe damage.

OrcFighterFTW said:
An "evisceration" is not cleaving something in two, it is a severe lasceration across the abdomen that exposes internal organs, often leading to the spilling out of said organs. This can be accomplished with a single slice across the belly from a single sharp object such as a claw.

This.

e·vis·cer·ate   
[v. ih-vis-uh-reyt; adj. ih-vis-er-it, -uh-reyt] Show IPA
verb, -at·ed, -at·ing, adjective
–verb (used with object)

1.to remove the entrails from; disembowel: to eviscerate a chicken.
2.to deprive of vital or essential parts: The censors eviscerated the book to make it inoffensive to the leaders of the party.
3.Surgery . to remove the contents of (a body organ).

Gut to gutcheon, seppuku, etc... cleaving something in twain is certainly an effective way to eviscerate something, but is beyond the action necessary.

personally, I would not screw with a 5' tall bunny with sharp incisors...you could lose an arm that way.

jpariury said:
Inaryn said:
Roy did:
iWolfe said:
As noted, they can eviscerate characters with a good rabbit kick.
I don't know of a better description of "eviscerate" than making what was one into two.

To be honest, Racial Slays, Assassinates and Profs are pretty much right out in my mind as well, because excepting Monty Python sketches (which would be disallowed under the "no unicornkyn" rule) and possibly coating Fluffy in spiky armor and hurling him in the faces of your foes (no Cannonball-Specials in Alliance, sadly), I just don't see a good argument in favor of them either.

Rabbits can be nasty...I have seen them take out cats and dogs.... watch Watership Downs ....yes it is a "cartoon" but its a way to see rabbits...if you take out the whole WW2 undertones....

I can see takin gout Racial Assassinates...but I could see a slay or prof...

MKing said:
Rabbits can be nasty...I have seen them take out cats and dogs.... watch Watership Downs ....yes it is a "cartoon" but its a way to see rabbits...if you take out the whole WW2 undertones....
I've also watched Rescue Rangers, but I don't think it's a strong support for letting Micekyn wear purple overalls.

Killer Rabbits is a pop culture trope with no solid basis in reality (not even this one qualifies, imo). I'm not seeing a good argument for any racial offensive skills, though.

Yes, the killer bunny is a fallacy created by pop culture. And, i would not use cartoons to further my argument. But the view that rabbits are not capable of fighting/are not violent is also a fallacy, primarily because people are thinking of bunny rabbits, which are domesticated and kept as pets. Just as a 200lb orangutan can over power with sheer strength, a 200lb man, and a golden retriever will get its but kicked by a similar sized coyote, a wild rabbit is far more dangerous than your sisters lop eared bunny.
Another thing leading to the underestimating of rabbits, jackrabbits or hares, is that they run away from us. This does not mean they are completely timid by nature, and only run away when faced with danger. We are ten times its size! went we perceive a monster to be ten times as dangerous as use what do we do? It is very different then when we come across a couple goblins. the video of the rabbit and the snake shows that they do fight, but shows their dodge skill better. their combat is better shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk28__1LnZs. And that isnt even them in mortal danger, more like someone is in a bad mood.
But what really needs to be decided a what a racial trait represents. And, what a animal needs to display to qualify. Basically a racial trait is what makes a race different from humans, so lets use that as our point of comparison. What a wild rabbit has that a human does not is firstly incredible agility, hence dodge. Secondly it has large sharp powerful teeth, which could be represented by a claw but their actual claws are closer to that of a dog, for digging.
They also have much more power to bound than humans, and a shape that lends that power to singular sudden acts, like jumping or kicking or lunging. to me that could be represented by Proficiency, because of the strength, Slay because of putting it all into one sudden movement, or Assassinate as it would likely be a surprise to the receiver, much like it would surprise a fox to be kicked in the head. Another thing they have is fur, and being out door animals, particularly northern hares like the whit tailed jackrabbit, they can handle the cold quite well, therefor resist elements, cold, and possibly fire, as they have been known to run through grass fires rather than away from them. Resist magic is a maybe cus well, rabbits feet are lucky right? and a wilder kin would have two of them.
I really wish we had a list of established precedents, because the only one with assassinate is the sar, and they have it because of their amazonian culture, not because they are tiger kin, to which slay or proficiency would be more accurate.
Anyway, that's my rebuttal. it may not convince you but i hope you at least concede that they are good arguments.
Cheers

Just to let you know, these guys aren't necessarily as stonewalling and/or snarky as they are in real life. The lack of expressions over the internet sometimes causes for over-exuberance.
Talk to the plot team of the chapter in which you are possibly going to house your character to see what they think is and isn't too much. Most times they'll okay anything that has a sound backing. I've seen a few kyn that are based on storybook characters, as well as using common phrases as the reasoning behind certain racials (ex: "Stubborn as a pig" for resist command).

I can't say I'm on board. I'm down with Dodge, you'll get no argument from me on that score, but personally I'm still not seeing the prof, slay, or ***. A lot of this discussion is centered around some highly suspect speculation at best. I'm looking for, I dunno, a historical accounting of the time the farmers of Pendergrast were run out of the Ebon Valley by the mad droves of wabid wascally wabbits in fear for their lives lest they be, dare I say it, rabbit-punched to death.

I get that bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, and they've got those hoppin' legs and twitchin' little noses, and what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyways? But nothing in that video says "prof", "slay", or "assassinate" to me, and it isn't my contention that rabbitkyn be disallowed from fighting, but rather that proficiency, slay or assassinate are not traits by which a rabbit can be identified. It's not just "could such-and-such possibly do a thing that would look like this", but rather "is this species known for its prowess or habit in this manner". I can see snakes with assassinates, maybe even mongoose (mongeese?) with profs, or even bulls with slays. But rabbits with any of these just doesn't cut the mustard for me.

Well anyway, its debatable, we have proven that.
To change the topic a bit, i have made the first version of the ears. i know my makeup is rubbish but i am very new to that, and i need a good brown. the one i got turned out to be a "cool brown" aka purple. each ear is a single loop of wire with the pointy bits under my helmet. i do not have them on a head band yet so the helmet is the only thing holding them on my head. when i do have a head band, ill likely still rely on a helmet to hold them in place when in combat.
163033_10150372019690591_543975590_16683437_7560056_n.jpg

167172_10150372019850591_543975590_16683446_1374871_n.jpg

167072_10150372020030591_543975590_16683453_7308047_n.jpg

Not bad, honestly.

What brand did you end up grabbing for your make-up? (I play a jaguar sarr, so if there's any pointers you'd like for make-up, feel free to ask.)

I like that. They cover the tops of your ears, so you keep your hearing available...might have to look at something similar when I get to the hood/ears for myself.

Well, i used Kryolan Aquacolor on the advice of other players, but they didnt have a warm brown, so i have a small black and small white, and a lifetime supply of purple, because it didn't come in small. the place i went to didnt have a large selection of non bright colors. i might be able to use the one i have if i mix it with a yellow. idealy i would like to match the ears. i also have the fur to make white ears. but in the great white north we dont play in the winter that much.

Istobla said:
Well, i used Kryolan Aquacolor on the advice of other players, but they didnt have a warm brown, so i have a small black and small white, and a lifetime supply of purple, because it didn't come in small. the place i went to didnt have a large selection of non bright colors. i might be able to use the one i have if i mix it with a yellow. idealy i would like to match the ears. i also have the fur to make white ears. but in the great white north we dont play in the winter that much.

Hmm... Ben Nye maybe? I've had very good luck with them getting some non-standard colors. For instance, I use their Marigold color for my orange rather than the omg orange that a lot of the tiger sarr tend to use. It's a much lighter shade (kind of a yellow orange really.) The only real difficulty is that the off-colors tend to come in smaller bottles/amounts. You can order Ben Nye products online.

Actually i agree with most of what Istobla is saying.

If you take any wild animal, and you cross it with a human, so you now have a human sized wild whatever, its going to be phenomenally likely that in a throw down brawl, regular human guy is going to get his *** kicked. That makes it very easy to qualify ANY of the fighting type racials. Because you are in fact talking about taking whatever animal it is, and making it human sized. It is much easier to qualify racials on animals that are already human sized.

If you made a human sized wild jack rabbit, I guarantee not a single one of you would desire hand to hand combat with it. Let alone the fact that it would easily be capable of biting your arm off. From the front, or from the back as would be more likely because again, I doubt that most people would not be running the hell away from said rabbit.

Back