John Finnegan - The Best of Us All - Rest in Peace

jen said:
Dear John,

I am so mad at you for dying.

All my love always,
- Jen

I read that and I started crying. Because I had to admit to myself that I am very angry at John for dying. I know how greived I am and I feel ... so wrong to feel that way because if Im in pain.. how much more so are Colleen and Patrick??

I miss being able to call him and just say Hi. To dicscuss with him problems in our lives and cheer one another up. I miss his great heart and how much love he had for everyone. I miss our conversations about him him reliving the "good old days" and how I better not destroy his barony (Nordenn) and live up to his legacy. LOL he also kept demanding I change the colors back to black and green.

I miss him so much. And now... now I have to figure out how the bloody HELL Im going to run Jersey without him. And when I even try to think bout wrtiting, I get an ache in my heart that hurts so much I cant breathe. In all honesty I know my staff is competent... I just cant imagine doing it without John. I used to go wake HIM up ... lol and not by inviting him to bite my *** (such a funny story Jesse G.) I remember the morning shower rituals with Colleen (Renee an I will guard the curtain for you), The get the npcs up and motivational coffee and breakfast sandwich ritual... and the silly silly **** he did to make us laugh, all the time.

I was so utterly blessed to have this Nero legend come off the silver screen and come into our lives. To become not only our mentor and our guide, but our dear friend. And I am so angry and hurt. This weekend John and I were going to go see campsites. He and I were going to talk about Jersey and what we needed to do to make this chapter great. He wanted to be a partner in it and asked me if he could. All I could think of was... of course!

And now I see the reigns back in my hands and an empty seat where John sat. The music lies silent as the conductor has left the podium and all I can think of is the music has stopped. The beautiful melody has stopped. I cannot recreate the music like you made it John, no one can. How are we supposed to do this?

And somehow were supposed to. We want to. We want to honor your memory, we want to keep creating the magic. We want to keep your legacy alive so no one will forget eveything you have done.

But oh my God it hurts so much without you.

Erica
~AllianceNJ

One of my first memories of Mr Finnegan was sitting in the Barn that was NPC shack at an old Ravenholt when he decided to tell me about "this neat new Chapter called Ashbury" that was opening up. I did not go. One wonders what might have been. Many years later I did in fact wander into Alliance. I remember the first NJ event I went to. I walked in, and there was John Finnegan. After over ten years he still remembered me from the hyper little 16 year old kid I was back then with a simle.

I think the number of people who have been away for so long that have given their regrets from the bottom of their hearts is better testimony than I could ever give. I will simply give my sincere condolances to Collen and his family and friends. It is a shame when one passess like this..especially one so loved and missed. But he will be remembered. His stories live on in this crazy game we play. He is remembered by so very many so very fondly, and nothing in this life after we leave it could speak of any of us so well.

Joe Siegel

This weekend in Ohio was the frist event since John passed. There were alot of storys told about all the Fun things he did, some were told IG about happy fun golum add calamar's funny whispering wind "flaws". Others were told after the game over at dinner. I think it will be a very long time befor we stop telling his storys :).

Tim

Walgar said:
This weekend in Ohio was the frist event since John passed. There were alot of storys told about all the Fun things he did, some were told IG about happy fun golum abd calamar's funny whispering wind "flaws". Others were told after the game over at dinner. I think it will be a very long time befor we stop telling his storys :).

Tim

Which is exactly as it should be.

I have never met John. I have heard MANY stories about John. People don't truely die until their memories die.

Never stop telling the stories.

I NPC'd for John once last year. All of you who knew him know that his first impression is one of his intelligence and kindness. I knew him for two days... and have spent the last week being surprised at how deeply his death has affected me. As I read the loving posts from all of his friends and acquaintances, and get ready for the first event, it unravels for me. In this game and especially I think, in monster camp, we are close, in: quarters, intentions, emotions, exertions, exhaustion.... Magic happens in this game unintended. In the act of role playing we are so much ourselves. I can’t help but love all these players so revealed. I know that I have been vexed, entertained, witness to oog emotional trauma and ig triumph and through it all felt an attachment to all of you that I have played with. I feel so very vulnerable to suffer anyone’s absence. So everybody better keep coming back. I am sorry to lose John and I will miss him.

NPC Mom

Okay...

For quite awile i prepared to never say anything on behalf of johns death. i am saddened by the loss of such an amazing person and i will miss seeing him at events i attend. Even just hearing about him will make me wish he was right there to confirm the stories. My reasons were of course that so many others had known John Finnegan on a level that i only wish i could have in my short LARP career in comparison. I wont go into detail on how much john meant to me or how he was always a genuinely nice person to me no matter how much of a douche i was in or out of game. In all respects, he was just a better human being then me. I envied his talents and i admired his ideas. If i were ever to assend to a higher learning of LARPing skill, id like to think that it was John who pushed me to try and catch up to him. i feel terrible for all of you who knew him so well, as your grief must be far more profound then mine could possibly feel. May i be of service to those who knew of his greatness best and had the pleasure of being his true friends.

This is for John and all of you who still think of him everyday (for the record, i never was very good at this saying goodbye thing, please forgive me.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbIxvzk52Bk&feature=related[/youtube]

LYRICS:
It's colder than before
The seasons took all they had come for
Now winter dances here
It seems so fitting don't you think
To dress the ground in white and grey?

It's so quiet I can hear…
My thoughts touching every second
That I spent waiting for you
Circumstances afford me
No second chance to tell you
How much I've missed you

My beloved do you know
When the warm wind comes again
Another year will start to pass
And please don't ask me why I'm here
Something deeper brought me
Than a need to remember

We were once young and blessed with wings
No heights could keep us from their reach
No sacred place we did not soar
Still greater things burned within us
I don't regret the choices that I've made
I know you feel the same

My beloved do you know
How many times I stared at clouds
Thinking that I saw you there
These are feelings that do not pass so easily
I can't forget what we claimed is ours

Moments lost and time remains
I am so proud of what we were
No pain remains, no feeling
Eternity awaits

Grant me wings that I might fly
My restless soul is longing
Eternity awaits

My beloved do you know
When the warm wind comes again
Another year will start to pass
And Please don't ask me why I'm here
Something deeper brought me
Than a need to remember

My beloved do you know
How many times I stared at clouds
Thinking that I saw you there
These are feelings that do not pass so easily
I can't forget what we claimed is ours

Moments lost though time remains
Eternity awaits

Eternity awaits

Eternity awaits

Eternity awaits

Eternity awaits

Eternity awaits.

VNV Nation- Beloved.

Wish i could have been a better friend of yours John. I'm sure i would have been a better person for it too.
I'll miss you
Michael Steven Zapp................okay, i think im ready to submit this now.

It's coming up on a month since John's passing.

I can't even think of my buddy without breaking into tears. I can't even reconnect with some of my NERO buddies with whom I've been regrettably out of touch or to reach out toward those I wasn't close with to make stronger bonds with because it makes me think of my best friend and I still can't deal with his loss. It hurts just to post this, but I'm not ready to see this thread die just yet.

John's presence in my life is measured by the great void his death has left, a void I now realize that I'll always carry with me; it will never go away, I'll just get use to it, the regret, the grief, the anger that the world could be so wondrous with its vistas and experiences and yet so awful as to have such a thing as the loss of love ones.

I know we all mourn John's loss, but who we should truly feel sorry for is all those folks out there who have never--will never--benefit from having known such a exemplar of a human being as John Thomas Finnegan. We--each and every one us--who knew John, however long or short (and regardless of the length, it'll always be too little time) were fortunate to count him as a friend, to have spent time in his wonderful company...we got to know and love him.

--Patrick Von Raven

We are the ones to carry on John's legacy. We are the ones to show the "younger" generation of Alliance players what kind of gamer/writer/human being John was. We are better for having known him and it is our duty to pass some of that on. It's what John would have done.

I added the initials to my sig but I'll type out my motto in full: What Would John Tiberius Finnegan Do?

I know now that the T stood for Thomas, but he'll always be Tiberius to me.

This probably won't be as concise and profound as I'm hoping it will be. I feel like it's worth posting, though.

A few months ago some friends convinced me to come back to NERO after a three-year plus hiatus. I had at one point decided I'd never LARP again. There were some things I missed though, and then I thought back to a conversation I had one day with John via IM.

I remembered when he'd taken a while away from writing before joining NJ's plot team. I had burnt out completely, run out of ideas and things to run at my events. While chatting about things like Smallville, comic books, and gaming in general, I asked him if the passion for writing LARP events and encounters ever comes back and burns as bright as it does when you first begin. That began one of the longest, most inspiring conversations I've ever had, in which I felt hope for maybe one day returning to do some guest writing.

Two weeks ago I had an idea. It was a little corny, but definitely humorous and at the same time pretty cool. I emailed the vaguest outline to the new NH plot guys and asked their opinion. Before I knew it I had been working out more details and discussing with Gary and Dan when the ideas would be run. That spark that John had mentioned to me was back.

Last week I realized that, though those encounters I had written earlier would be fun, I wanted to do something epic and large-scale like I did when I was running plot for an entire chapter. I wanted to put on events that would make my mentor proud.

John Finnegan gave me a gift. He taught a 17-year-old kid how to write LARP encounters that would entertain and enthrall dozens of people all at once. He explained to me the difference between writing something just so that you can play a cool NPC, and writing something to engage your friends and customers. He gave me the tools to run not satisfactory plot, but memorable plot.

I owe it to John to use the gift he gave me. I have written up several ideas that I will be running with the help of the new Alliance NH plot team, and I will be doing so in honor of John. Some of the ideas, I think, are definitely in the spirit of the things he would write -- PC-focused, intended to make individuals feel cool, with just a touch (or two) of humor added. I hope that my efforts make him proud.

This past weekend we ran the first HQ event since we lost John. At the beginning of the event I gave the usual NPC pep-talk, but with something added.

Most of them were new players who had never met John. I tried to impart to them just how wonderful of a person he was and how much he meant to this game. I urged them to make his philosophy theirs - that we are here to entertain the PCs, and have fun ourselves; that in every encounter they should think to themselves "is this fun for the players?"

I don't think I was nearly as eloquent as I would have liked to be, but I do know that in a weekend filled with mud, rain and near-freezing temperatures, our NPC crew gave a masterful performance. The encounters were fun, the fights were clean and they really made me smile to think that John would have approved.

Von Raven said:
It hurts just to post this, but I'm not ready to see this thread die just yet.

Patrick, you took the words right out of my keyboard.

Every day since Tuesday, March 18th, I've come to this board, sometimes twice or more. I've posted only once, at a time when I still couldn't breathe from the weight of my grief. I've been meaning to come back so many times, to add more, but it never came out right. Earlier this week, I realized that I would be very sorry to see the day when it would dawn on me that noone was posting anymore. And I promised then that I would come as soon as a I had a moment of calm to add my memories to this amazing collection. My moment has come, and I log on to see those words.

It does hurt to post this. I'm mad as hell that John's gone and I'm madder at myself for having not kept in touch with him these last 3 years. Coming here and hearing from all the people that John touched has helped me calm that down, so thank you for sharing.

I'm very fortunate, really. I got to be very close to John through the years. I remember when Duke Bryan proposed to the Duchess and the ripples it caused. I watched him argue with Bryan, amongst others, at the plot table in Brooklyn. I got to sit in the tavern kitchen with him and all the other biata, telling them to leave him alone, he's the DUKE for goodness sake, and as the resident elder I'd whoop all of them if they didn't back off! I got to be a part of the epic 5-day event in Cedarcrest, which, unless my memory is completely hopeless, was orchestrated by the Man, JTF. (The pinnacle event in all of LARPing as far as I'm concerned, and for sure my vote for the "Citizen Kane" award. You can't deny the best.) I got to watch him scare the crap out of Colleen at a Haunted Castle in Mass when he sic-ed Jason (or was it Michael Myers?) on her right outside the bathroom. I got to stay for days on end with the family in Brooklyn, smoking way too many cigarettes, way too late in the night, and loving every minute of it. I got to be part of the wedding of the century, where two of the people I cared most about made their dreams come true. I got to play D&D in the dining room in PA, where John showed infinite patience with my inability to roll the dice equal to the presumed skills of a Cat Lord Monk.

When the Split happened, I was one of the few people that continued to play on both sides of "enemy" line. And boy, did I get grief for that. Whenever anyone asked me why I continued to play Alliance, I'd say "I NPC for John.". Doing that and getting to see the friends I had there were my only reasons for traveling that far by myself. I don't mean that as a knock to the others who ran the game, it's just the truth. I loved that he gave me great parts to play. I loved that he trusted me enough to run little fun things just to spice things up a little. I love that he trusted me enough to know that I got it, that it was all for the benefit of the players. The only doubt he ever showed in me was when he wanted to make sure that I knew in absolutely surety that the obliteration stick ws NOT to be used on the players, only NPC's. (But I chalk that up to the convincing glee I played while weilding it.) When I decided to end my character, with John & Patrick's help and championship, and Heidi's plot, I was able to end Selina Vardik's life in epic style, giving her the most satisfying end you could ask for, not only for me but, just as importantly, for all those who knew her (well, at least I hope so).

When he left Alliance, I did as well. He took the high road and returned to the game, and went on to join NERO NJ. I wish I had followed that same path. But then again, John was normally the better person than I.

I think part of his magic was that he believed in everyone's potential. That everyone should get a real chance, and that even if you didn't think you were worth helping, he did. We all started out equal in his eyes, we all deserved that support. I think that may have been a cornerstone in his views on the white sneaker and tabard costume. He knew that most of us started out as newbies, and just about everyone didn't start out with much of a costume. But he also knew that 99% of the time, everyone improved.

I have only one negative memory about John. Shortly before the Split, he and I had an argument over a character I was playing in Avendale. There had been a misunderstanding about what took place, and we resolved the whole thing pretty quickly, but to this day, I remember when I got the emailing from him telling me he was pissed my first reply to him consisted of 4 words: "John, That hurt. Kathy". And it did too. To think that I had angered him, that I had disappointed him, that he had misunderstood me. We were ok afterwards, in fact, that night was when Colleen had asked me to be in the wedding party, so I knew everything was fine. But I can't help reflecting back now that the hurt I felt then was a small foretelling of the hurt I feel now. When he was mad at me, and I had never seen him angry at anyone, I couldn't help but feel like I was going to lose my friend from my life. And that hurt. And now he's gone.

Which makes me mad again. But reading these memories from people that I remember from the old days and the new stories from people I haven't met yet helps me calm down. Thank you for sharing.

To all my old friends, I miss you.
To Colleen and Patrick, I think of you every day and I wish I could help. My love is yours.
To John, thank you. The message has come through loud and clear. And you and Gary Guygax better have one hell of a game set up for us when we join you. Write a part for me, ok? I love you.

- Kathy Rosenblatt
aka Kathy Taylor
better known as Selina Vardik

kathyrosen said:
But I can't help reflecting back now that the hurt I felt then was a small foretelling of the hurt I feel now. When he was mad at me, and I had never seen him angry at anyone,

Kathy, I could make him pretty mad! :lol:

I never had a brother until he came along and we fought like brothers. I remember a couple of times, during an arguement, he'd lose his nearly infinite patience with my stubborness and actually hung up the phone. But, being John, he'd call me right back and we'd apologize to each other...or I'd call him back with the same result.

For all John's patience, the paradox that was JTF was that he had the shortest fuse I've ever seen! When we'd play D&D every month, he'd get so aggravated that he had to phone in the group's dinner order...and it got to the point where he'd grow even angrier because, come the next time to place the dinner order, our group would come to expect John's anger and start laughing. :lol:

One of my favorite JTF short fuse moments was during a D&D weekend, John and I went to the bus stop to pick up Joe, a member of our group who came in from NYC. Our wives called and asked us to order chinese food and pick it up on the way back. Both Joe and I were intoxicated, so John was the driver. I tried first to order chinese food while we were driving back to Stroudsburg, but, I must confess: when one is intoxicated, it's very diffcult to surmount a language barrier and I had to hang up the phone without successfully completing the order. At this point, John was gritting his teeth and shaking his head. Then Joe, also intoxicated, tried to call in the order and, again, intoxication + language barrier = communication breakdown, so the order was STILL not placed and Joe had to hang up.

John was furious at this point. While cursing up an incredible storm of profanity, he pulled the car into a gas station and grabbed the phone. Poor John, already so angry, had to deal with the language barrier himself as he placed an order for chinese food while two drunken fools were trying their best not to laugh...and failing. Which made John even angrier! :D

Von Raven said:
For all John's patience, the paradox that was JTF was that he had the shortest fuse I've ever seen!

Yes that's true! :lol: I should have clarified, I think I meant that I'd never really seen him truly MAD at anyone. Pissed, aggravated, annoyed, etc., yes. Many a time.

And Patrick, your stubborness would try the patience of a sainted stone. ;-) It's all part of what we love about you! heehee.

Today is "Poem in Your Pocket Day" in New York, and here is one that I saw that made me think of John because it is very sweet, and about love, and so was he. So, happy "Poem in Your Pocket Day" to all the people that John loved...

Love in the open hand, no thing but that,
Ungemmed, unhidden, wishing not to hurt,
As one should bring you cowslips in a hat
Swung from the hand, or apples in her skirt,
I bring you, calling out as children do:
"Look what I have! -- And these are all for you."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

Maryan

Ahem.

I recently heard about John's passing, and was rendered speechless. John centers around my fondest memories of the East Coast, and will remain in my thoughts as a truly wonderful human being. He and Colleen opened their home when first I came to the East, offering me not only a couch to sleep on, but friendship, good conversation, and comfort. (And to a lone Californian on his first-ever solo excursion, no less.) They were amazingly kind, and made me feel at home in a strange world (snow? In November? What's with that?). I remember many things from that trip--including Colleen giving me one of the nicest compliments I've ever received--but what I recall the most, and what I will keep with me until I follow him, is John himself. His smile, his laughter, his intelligence and wisdom, and his dedication to those people and ideas he most cherished.

I'd like to say more, but I'm simply too damn depressed right now.

John, to say you will be missed doesn't cover it by half.

Chris Olson

John's mother Gail and I are twin sisters. You can't know how many times we come to this beautiful memorial site to feel a touch of John...his brilliance, his humor, his friendships, and the long-lasting love he showered on all of us. Because John always honored his Irish roots, let me share a beautiful poem from another equally as tender Irishman, John O'Donohue who passed away this January of 2008.

On the Death of the Beloved

Though we need to weep your loss
You dwell in that safe place in our hearts
Where no storm or night or pain can reach you.

Your love was like the dawn
Brightening our lives,
Awakening beneath the dark
A further adventure of color.

The sound of your voice
Found for us
A new music
That brightened everything.

Whatever you enfolded in your gaze
Quickened in the joy of its being;
You placed smiles like flowers
On the altar of the heart.
Your mind always sparkled
With wonder at things.

Though your days here were brief,
Your spirit was alive, awake, complete.

We look toward each other no longer
From the old distance of our names;
Now you dwell inside the rhythm of breath,
As close to us as we are to ourselves.

Though we cannot see you with outward eyes,
We know our soul's gaze is upon your face,
Smiling back at us from within our best refinement.

Let us not look for you only in memory,
Where we would grow lonely without you.
You would want us to find you in presence,
Beside us when beauty brightens,
When kindness glows
And music echoes eternal tones.

When orchids brighten the earth,
Darkest winter has turned to spring;
May this dark grief flower with hope
In every heart that loves you.

May you continue to inspire us:
To enter each day with a generous heart.
To serve the call of courage and love
Until we see your beautiful face again
In that land where there is no more separation,
Where all tears will be wiped from our mind,
And where we will never lose you again.

To Bless the Space Between Us (2008)

The space that we must find to go on in the joy that John found in his beautiful life is IN THE PRESENT. Let us all have courage to continue THAT JOY in our imaginations, music, our sense of PLAY, and extensions of kindness that John modelled with each of us. A blessing upon the continuation of the Alliance and its leaders. I cannot express the gratitude I feel for each of you and your gift to John's life. Continue to reach out to Colleen and Patrick, for your love is precious to them. Aunt Gloria, Columbus GA

It was very beautiful and touching, and it brought me to tears.
Thank you Aunt Gloria.

I talk about John to all my new friends, and many of my old friends; how he inspired and continue to inspires me.

There was no one else in the world that I loved to bother as much as John. His reactions were too good not to pass up or squeeze out of him. In one case, I believe 3 years ago, Jessica Brown was selling pies as Ciaarah at an event so I decided to e-mail John to see if I could get some pie. For some reason my mind keeps going back to this because it continued after these e-mails,at his home and then well through out the event and when I think about it I can't stop laughing followed by some crying of course. Below are the e-mails that went back and forth (copied and pasted):

Renee: Would it be alright if Jess were to "go to the swamp" and give fanny fen two pies? This is Renee trying to get two pies for her and Matt for free. lol

John:How about you ask her for a pie.

Renee:She said she sells them for 1 gold a pop or gives them away for free for some type of plot information

John:Umm No, but you could give her 2 gold from your personal treasury. :)

Renee:Can I get two gold as a farmer to go out and get pie? I dont have a personal treasury. I would very much like a pie .

John:What you do logistically is none of my business. Plotwise if I catch you, I will make you eat a mud pie.

Renee:Can I take three gold from the treasure policy and buy 3 pies.Then you would get a pie also :) Now that sounds like a fair deal

John:Listen devil's daughter, I will see if I HAVE 3 gold in my possession as bugby. I will give you the darn gold so you can go buy us three pies.

Missing you everyday.

-Renee

Lira said:
There was no one else in the world that I loved to bother as much as John. His reactions were too good not to pass up or squeeze out of him. In one case, I believe 3 years ago, Jessica Brown was selling pies as Ciaarah at an event so I decided to e-mail John to see if I could get some pie. For some reason my mind keeps going back to this because it continued after these e-mails,at his home and then well through out the event and when I think about it I can't stop laughing followed by some crying of course. Below are the e-mails that went back and forth (copied and pasted):

Renee: Would it be alright if Jess were to "go to the swamp" and give fanny fen two pies? This is Renee trying to get two pies for her and Matt for free. lol

John:How about you ask her for a pie.

Renee:She said she sells them for 1 gold a pop or gives them away for free for some type of plot information

John:Umm No, but you could give her 2 gold from your personal treasury. :)

Renee:Can I get two gold as a farmer to go out and get pie? I dont have a personal treasury. I would very much like a pie .

John:What you do logistically is none of my business. Plotwise if I catch you, I will make you eat a mud pie.

Renee:Can I take three gold from the treasure policy and buy 3 pies.Then you would get a pie also :) Now that sounds like a fair deal

John:Listen devil's daughter, I will see if I HAVE 3 gold in my possession as bugby. I will give you the darn gold so you can go buy us three pies.

Missing you everyday.

-Renee

Thanks for posting that Renee. I could hear both your voices in my head while reading that conversation.

I'm glad to see someone carried on the tradition Patrick and I started in the plot meetings of The Four Horsemen.

When Spare joined the HQ plot committee under John's tutelage, he did the same thing. But with him, it was unintentional.

We miss you John.

I remember that.
I ended up buying staff pies with gloriannas treasury :p

Yall greedy.
Speaking of which i should order more pies for memorial day weekend.

I miss John too.

I have all these plot ideas and hes not around. Brian is a good shoulder to lean on though, and Im grateful hes there. But God... I miss John. Just talking to him about life... and how crappy its been, and how he always always told me not to give up.. not matter how hard the fight was.

:(

~Erica

"I Learned From You"

I didn't wanna listen to what you were sayin'
I thought that I knew all I need to know
I didn't realize that somewhere inside me
I knew you were right but I couldn't say so

I can take care of myself, yeah, you taught me well

I learned from you that I do not crumble
I learned that strength is something you choose
All of the reasons to keep on believin'
There's no question, that's a lesson, that I learned from you