Kid's Event 2011

* bump *

I appreciate everyone who has volunteered their time to help with this event, especially those who are coming who don't even have kids (Thanks, Justin and Kyle!)!

I look forward to seeing everyone in a couple of weeks!

--- Eric Stehle / Ivan Drake

If anyone is definitely NPCing this event wants to read the write up, send me an email and I'll forward it to you so you can say "Hey, I want that part!" (michael.ventrella@gmail.com) -- given that it's a kid's event it's much less filled than an adult event.

Kelly says she has a great pirate costume so she'll be Grace Blackwater, the Pirate Queen! Justin will play Barinor the dwarf, and hopefully he'll have read my books by then so any kids who have read it won't confuse him with questions. Michelle will play Darlissa (not Darlassia).

I need to cast Rummy Jack, the evil necromancer pirate> I also need a Mages' Guild leader. If we have someone who wants to run the tavern so I don't have to, that would be great too (you'd also be in charge of running gambling games).

If you have a pirate costume, please come!

Ohh ill take rummy jack. never get to be the bad guy

Mike - I just want to make sure you won't need me Friday night - we can't really leave until Saturday morning due to toddler fun. If so, you might want to recast :(

aara said:
Mike - I just want to make sure you won't need me Friday night - we can't really leave until Saturday morning due to toddler fun. If so, you might want to recast :(

Hm. Maybe I'll recast you as the bad guy then, who doesn't have to show up until later! We'll just have you and Kyle switch roles.

Fearless Leader said:
aara said:

Hm. Maybe I'll recast you as the bad guy then, who doesn't have to show up until later! We'll just have you and Kyle switch roles.

To me, that means that Kyle will play Grace Blackwater. I don't know that Kyle will fit in Kelly's clothes however.

Scott your just jealous

Fearless Leader said:
If anyone is definitely NPCing this event wants to read the write up, send me an email and I'll forward it to you so you can say "Hey, I want that part!" (michael.ventrella@gmail.com) -- given that it's a kid's event it's much less filled than an adult event.

Kelly says she has a great pirate costume so she'll be Grace Blackwater, the Pirate Queen! Justin will play Barinor the dwarf, and hopefully he'll have read my books by then so any kids who have read it won't confuse him with questions. Michelle will play Darlissa (not Darlassia).

I need to cast Rummy Jack, the evil necromancer pirate> I also need a Mages' Guild leader. If we have someone who wants to run the tavern so I don't have to, that would be great too (you'd also be in charge of running gambling games).

If you have a pirate costume, please come!

Hey Mike- I can do Mage's Guild or tavern keeper, either way, doesn't matter. More used to playin' in the tavern (LOL) and it might make a good base so Mase knows where I am most of the time, but I can do Mage's guild too. Do you have the gambling games already set up or would I need to come up with and run?
My stock of piratey stuff has dwindled over the years, thanks to moves, almost moves and floods. I'll pull what I can together.
Also, if you can email me a copy of the write up so I can take a look, that'd be great. I've emailed you.

Thanks,
Kathy

Anyone know what the weather is going to be like? Is it ok to bring an Air Conditioner unit to put in one of the cabins outside the Tavern?

Edit:
according to weather channel, it'll be scattered storms on friday and a bright and sunny day saturday and sunday

I'm thinking of having some snacks and things for the kids at the tavern, but haven't bought anything yet. I'm thinking easy snacks stuff like popcorn, etc. So - couple of questions...
1) Is there a popcorn maker in the tavern or just a microwave?
2) Are there any food allergies that we know of for anyone coming at this point?
3) Any requests? (I'm on a budget, so don't bother asking for the lobster, ok? :p )

I'm going to post this on the other kid's event thread too, just in case...

See you then,
Kathy

Kathy,

Thanks for your help. There's no popcorn maker, but we do have a microwave. As for allergies, I wouldn't bring anything with nuts (just to be safe).

We'll have a pizza party on Saturday night (the local pizza is actually pretty good!), but breakfast, lunch and snacks are key. Most people will bring their own food, but we always like sharing!

See you this weekend!

Cool - just needed to know what kind of popcorn to get. :)
Can't claim for true breakfast or lunch, but will plan on having some snacks around for everyone to munch on.
Maybe bring some stuff to bake too.

Kathy

Just wanted to say what an awesome time both Mason and I had this weekend. Really exceeded all expectations!! Kudos to Mike for writing an event that the kids really liked, the kids themselves for being so great, all the parents and especially big thanks to Kyle, Justin & Michelle!!
I took a bunch of pictures that I'll get out soon one way or another!

Kathy

What a great event!!!

A special thank you goes out to Mike for writing and running the event. Thanks, Mike!

Also I want to thank all those who took time to NPC even if they didn't have kids at the event!!! Heidi, Justin, Kyle, Michelle, Jill and Elissa were awesome!!!

I also have to say thank you to the parents who not only herded their own kids, but also helped out and NPCed! Thank you Kathy, Ken, and Bob!!!

Everyone was so awesome. From Kathy playing Grace the "kinda good pirate" to Elissa guiding the kids along the adventure to Kyle's evil "Rummy Jack" (and Grim!) to Heidi's ever-helpful Zatarina to Michelle's "Squire Darlissa" (from Mike's book) to Jill's "Spirit of the Forest" and the list goes one. We couldn't have an event without you. Thank you.

Lastly, a double-special thanks goes to Justin Coggin. I have never seen a group of kids from ages 5-12 sitting quietly as he told them stories as "Larry." These kids had soooo much energy and wanted to fight bad guys constantly..... unless "Larry" had a story to tell, then they sat quietly, hypnotized by Justin's amazing story-telling ability. It was unbelievable. I mean, one or two kids? Okay. But 10 kids with ages ranging from 5 to 12? Unbelievable.

Again, thank you to everyone who made this event so great and I hope to see you all next year.

I had a great time. Sometimes I forget why I enjoy this game, because I have to deal with all the politics and headaches of running it and then I show up and mow the lawn and run the tavern and then clean up afterward and never really play or run anything. Doing a kid's event is easy (with only 10 kids to entertain) and I had a blast.

I also want to thank the great NPCs who helped even though they don't have kids!

A few of my favorite bits:

After Justin told one of his great stories, one child started to tell Justin a story. He described a Spongebob episode with pirates and Justin said "Whoa! You must be from some strange unusual place." "Yeah," the kid replied, looking sad. "I'm from New Jersey."

Then there was Kathy's 6 year old son who had just lost some teeth and couldn't say his "r"s. When they needed goblin brains for an ingredient for a magical potion (represented by walnuts, of course) the kids were debating whether it was ethical to steal the brains from some goblins that had been killed by a troll, as there was a goblin treaty in effect. "Bwains!" said the kid. "Bwains! Bwains! Bwains!" and then while the others were debating, he went up and cut the brains out from the goblins.

Zat told the kids she could make a magic elixir if they gathered goblin brains, giant rat tails, and white flowers growing in the field. She took them all and then came out later with vials full of the stuff, all crushed. (It was actually cookie ingredients that she had added food coloring to). She'd hold up a jar with the eggs (out of the shell and scrambled) dyed red and say "This is the blood from the rat tails." "Ewwwww!" the kids would respond. Anyway, they had all the ingredients and mixed them all together, making a gooey gray mess once all the colors mixed. It looked horrible. Then one of the kids decided to be creative and pour his lemonade in the mix too. Ack! The cookies came out fine later -- I mean, they were edible -- but they looked like crap (literally) because the lemonade made them all runny so they didn't rise properly. Some kids didn't want to eat them so she said "Oh well, I guess you won't be immune to Rummy Jack's spells then!" That convinced them.

Eric's son Zak is my biggest fan (or at least that's what he says -- I think he knows my books better than I do). So we had two of the characters from the book come out -- a squire and a mercenary dwarf who don't get along. "I know all about you!" Zak said, and he had a great time interacting with them and warning the rest of the kids not to trust the dwarf.

And of course there was Justin's storytelling!

Fearless Leader said:
After Justin told one of his great stories, one child started to tell Justin a story. He described a Spongebob episode with pirates and Justin said "Whoa! You must be from some strange unusual place." "Yeah," the kid replied, looking sad. "I'm from New Jersey."

The cookies came out fine later -- I mean, they were edible -- but they looked like crap (literally) because the lemonade made them all runny so they didn't rise properly. Some kids didn't want to eat them so she said "Oh well, I guess you won't be immune to Rummy Jack's spells then!" That convinced them.

Heh - The New Jersey kid was Mason as well. The things he comes out with sometimes!!

Very funny about the cookies - Mason refused to eat them, even though they would make him immune. His quote to me: "They look like poop that's been stepped on." I laughed out loud when I read Mike's literal crap comment 'cuz I could see Mase's face so clearly when he whispered that to me!!

Back