Latex Coated Foam

The biggest downside I can see to latex weapons is repairs. With my foam-and-duck-tape weapon I can just patch the tape or replace the foam at the event.

What would happen if your latex weapon got damaged (say in a night fight, you ripped it on an overhanging tree branch or some such?)

obcidian_bandit said:
Oh... oh yeah. I'll do this over the summer, if someone reminds me (I'm looking at you JP).
I've got all the equipment we'd need in my labs, just not the time until then. I'll be doing research over the summer, but I'd burn a weekend to pull this off.
~Matt, WCV
Physics Geek
I'll be back up for a bit of June, all of July, and maybe a bit of August (GGW). I'm sure something could be done. :)

Unsure said:
BTW nerf stuff just looks stupid and an image does need to be upheld. We may be nerds in the park hitting with foam sticks screaming out "2 damage!"...but we have standards.
I have never screamed "2 damage". That would be a flub, and I want my hits to count. :)

phedre said:
The biggest downside I can see to latex weapons is repairs. With my foam-and-duck-tape weapon I can just patch the tape or replace the foam at the event.
What would happen if your latex weapon got damaged (say in a night fight, you ripped it on an overhanging tree branch or some such?)
Same as a duct-tape weapon. You'd have to either repair your rep, or find a replacement. And if it's not a magic sword, you lose it. But that's a discussion of "do you want to use a latex-coated weapon" rather than "are latex-weapons safe to use?".

I know that a lot of the Oregon players and probably some Seattle players are going to be playing a new larp that's starting up in Oregon this summer that utilizes mostly latex weapons and shields. I'm sure they'll be able to give people a good analysis of player damage and rep damage/repair techniques and frequency after a few weekends of playing.

Tempest said:
You want to slow a game's combat down? Less body.Less armor. The PC's have to think about combat and 'in-game' safety instead of wading into combat willy-nilly. You don't swing the sword 120 times a minute when one or two hits from the other guy puts you on the ground. You block his/her weapon, and hope for an opening. Your armor can then be used to do DR because people spent their BP on defensive skills instead of profs. Slower and safer combat, with more intense moments, and less math, will lead to more role-playing during combat. And allows for latex.

With lower body, a 10th level fighter doesn't have to worry about an goblin, but he needs to get nervous when jumped by 4-5 goblins. In the current system, with close to 30 body and 40 armor, it is a matter of how fast he is with a sword, not how much damage they can do to him.

I actually like this idea. Less HP makes for more cautious and tactical players -- knowing that you can be dead in 2-4 blows will certainly force you to think more on your feet instead of just going nuts, swinging like crazy because you know that it's gonna take a lot of hits to actually down you. It's no different than playing an FPS -- in games with unlimited respawns, players throw tactics out the window and just run in with guns blazing, knowing that if they died, they'll be back in in a matter of seconds; however, take that ability away, and suddenly everyone is trying to outthink each other.

And as far as that style of play encouraging packs of players to roll together, well, isn't this a team game after all?

I don't know if there would be any way for this to be authenticated meaningfully but...

I have played a larp with the full Alliance ruleset at my college with now over 20 folks every Saturday for nearly 2 years now. We are not official and have loose standards on stuff, but we have used latex weapons (such as the Forgotten Dreams stuff) for the entire time, and there has never been a significant latex related injury vs. bofer injury. Additionally the ultra light bofers are the same if not lighter than the latex. The only rule difference (with regards to the weapons) is that you are "not allowed" to stab with the latex because it would hurt more than stabbing tips and damage the latex weapons. Also we changed waylay to be with the flat of your sword because most latex weapons do not have waylay tips.

Once again we are all college students, run around a lot and in my experience play a "faster" game physically than many Alliance games. Although weapon swings and overall combat speed and damage are virtually the same. And like I said no perceivable difference. Basically what I have come to understand from Alliance is; that there is a very old "set" way of doing things and mostly "just because" the rules are what they are, and it is nearly impossible for anything big to change.

::Disclaimer:: I love Alliance and am not trying to smash it, just explaining the way I see things. ;)

Wow. It's been what, 2, 2.5 years since I've been to an event? I'll be back after college this semester. Back with Dan and Nicole. This thread looked like a good comeback thread. Now to actually address what the thread is about. Which type of weapon is safer?

Well the first angle I want to point out is that combat shouldn't be the first thought. What about latex allergies. Latex allergies run in severity from a small rash from prolonged exposure to severe allergic reactions by secondary contact (in other words touching something that has touched latex). The allergy is not too uncommon. Now when it comes to combat how much skin contact is likely to happen. There is enough of it for those that like more, let me say "breathable" costumes. Then the possibility of a no armor day when it is really warm, The fact that it would be warm would also correlate to more latex weapons (as opposed to winter restrictions due to hard latex). This case is a what if. I'm not saying Alliance has a Latex system). There is a lot of skin contact, not prolonged but it is enough for those with allergies to be affected (not all but some). Then we get to the case were a weapon is dropped. A person with a latex allergy can't really pick it up to use it without exposing themself to latex. Or if someone evaluates a weapon that they might not even be able to touch cuz they are allergic to it. The worst would be a latex magic weapon because it would discriminate against those that are allergic.

Now I know there are several other game mechanics that discriminate against a certain percentage. Some mechanics are just unavoidable tho. If ur not very good at math and you have high body and are fighting 5 guys and have to keep track that's not very good for you. But to not be able to get that super awesome weapon that the big baddy dropped because your hand is going to turn red, swell and start leaking puss is just unfair.

The percentage of people allergic that play Alliance probably isn't that big but its there. The percentage of those that would be effected is even less, but its there. This I view as the biggest problem.

When it comes to combat every weapon has to be judges on a case by case basis. Any weapon can be made with any combination of materials and be unsafe. Any weapon can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Anything is possible.

Now I would love to see cooler looking weapons at Alliance. The weapons aren't too bad now. Actually the weapons right now are pretty good compared to what an on campus LARP considers safe (I could rant and rave about them but that is for later).

What I think Alliance needs is to come up with something better then latex. There are other alternatives ( I say that now but I have yet to look anything up). Now I have 14 minutes left of battery before I get to my room so I'm gonna end here. I know its long nd very focused but everything has to be taken into consideration.

Are severe latex alergies that common? Mild ones wouldn't be an issue sever I can see but really if we're gonna try and make organization wide calls on possible medical issues? I mean people have severe bee sting reactions too but we don't say the game needs to be played indoors to suit them. I think really that woudl be something for individual chapters to look at.

Honestly you can get nearly as good an effect with cloth covered weapons as well and eliminate the allergy/cold hard latex issue but really as was first brought up it isn't generally the latex cover that gets failed but rather the shaped blade or lack of waylay/thrusting tips that lead to these kind of weapons being failed.

Yeah a definate clause on a waiver or somewhere to let people know if they're going to play then they might be exposed to latex. If their allergic then they would at least have the information up front beforehand so that should limit any legal and medical consequences later on if a reaction does occur.

Chances are the amount of time a person gets exposed to latex in a given hit is probubly 1/20th of a second anyway. I don't know about the physics of the latex and if It leaves a minute amount of residue on an impact. But if it did would it be enough residue to cause an adverse reaction? Also 1/20th seems like a very short timeframe for a reaction to occur if the residue wasn't enough- even in a severe case. Then again I'm not a doctor.

Seems like the likelyhood of a reaction from latex just isn't enough for there to be much of a concern legally or medically. If some LARP groups have used latex exclusively then their should be at least some record of a regular problem with the latex exposure. So far on this list it hasn't come up as a common or rare problem for players that do use them and get hit by them regularly.

B~>

Well, from a quick search on the web, it looks like latex allergies range from mild rashes to anaphylaxis. This last word means that you could die from it, just like bee / peanut allergies. Basing myself on my knowledge of peanut allergies, this could be quite severe, and a 1/20th of a second blow could kill. In fact, if a kid eats a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast, then goes to school, opens a door, then later an allergic kid uses the same door handle, he could react from the traces of peanut.

So yeah, the allergy thing is there, but the odds of someone severely allergic to latex wanting to play alliance are slim at best. And that local chapter could just ban latex weapons, just like a local chapter could send out a warning to not bring peanuts to game.

Once again, I feel like this is an argument from obscurity... And if someone knows they have an allergy like this they are usually very careful. Similar to a friend of mine who knows he has an allergy to Peanuts. He's careful, and while there are considerations made to accommodate him it doesn't mean he wishes for Peanut butter to be banned nor that the chapter bans Peanut butter. Now while weapons ARE more fully used than Peanut butter, it still seems like a very obscure reason to prohibit something. Honestly latex weapons aren't allowed because they just aren't. Rationalizing this I have found just leads discussions in endless loops... :?

*disclaimer* Am I personally frustrated by this? Yes, a little. But I want to be clear that while I may disagree with some policies I still fully support them since they are the ones in place. I firmly believe in the ability to work together with and be great friends among people who don't agree on things. This in fact, is one of the reasons I love this game. ;)

I will certainly agree that the likelyhood of a person playing and having a severe allergy to latex is slim. I just like to present the odd angle. I myself have been wanting to get a latex weapon but since I only play alliance I don't think it would see as much use as my UL boffer. I still haven't gotten to see cloth weapons but I think that's what I want to get next.

I do have a question about latex weapons tho. Does the weapon crafter have to put the pin holes to allow air to be released in the thrusting and waylay tips? I see latex as being a airtight if coated over something.

Hey as an alternative I was just web browsing. I saw something really neat about using gaff tape, acrylic paint, and a top coat that seals the paint and also softens it. Wouldn't that bring about the desired effect of look while avoiding certain downsides to latex (whether it be an uncommon allergy or cold weather hardness). I'm gonna look more into it and do some experimenting. Anyone have any good ideas on experimenting hardness of foam when coated with different things. I'm going to use duct tape over open cell as my control group. Actually I'm coming up with a pretty good experiment right now. I'll post it sometime.

Most companies seal the latex now with a hypo allergenic sealant. Just saying. I actually know people with latex allergies that have and use latex weapons often with no ill side effects.

I mean I have a mild latex alergy but its mild so a non issue for me. Severe reactions are athoeretical problem but that severe a reaction is pretty rare and likely the person in question is aware and will avoid activities that are risk plus the hypoallergenic coatings woudl clear up most issues (they also preserve the latex in the sun/cold etc to prevent cracking)

But as i said above latex isn't the issue its really much more the lack of open cell tips or 5/8" padding on the core that is an issu ewith passing weans checks. As I said its not too hard to get most of the folks out there who make these to do a custom piec that is alliance legal though swords are harder since usually they don't do 5/8" on all sides but blunts generally just need to have waylay/thrusting tips added to the design.

I suppose we should also ban outdoor events since there are those who have allergies to ragweed and bee stings too?

Most latex weaponry is sealed with various different types of sealant so that actual latex never touches the skin. This is done to help protect from UV, water and remove the 'tackiness' of the latex. If the weapon is shiney, it is most likely sealed thusly. My own I use two different types of sealant - one that is a more durable but less flexible one for the handles and a light, spray on for the more flexible parts. I do not suffer from a severe allergy myself so I don't know what it's like to go into shock in under 5 seconds. I have been with a partner who had such a reaction to insect stings and I have had to apply one of those pens to her twice due to stings while camping. But she enjoyed camping so she always came prepared. There are also other items out there in LARPs that are covered in latex, aka masks, that could have such an accidental contact. Or makeup allergies.

The chance of developing a latex allergy when exposed to latex weaponry is almost impossible. In jobs where the employees are exposed to latex (as in in contact with it) for more than 5 hours a day, only about 10% develop an allergy. To think that sproadic hits from a weapon every other weekend would result in this is taking paranoia to the John Travolta in a bubble level.

Now, as for the 'low HP=fast draw' games, I have never experienced this. Any game where three hits could mean your death, players do not run in swinging as quickly as they can. They take their time to find the openings so that they can hit without being hit. Now if you go from an Alliance style right into this type of style, there will be a small time of adjustment. I have witnessed this and first time players often find themselves on the ground dying more often than fighting until they realize they need to choose their shots carefully. In fact, it is one of the reasons I started my own LARP - I watched as a PC in NERO ran into the middle of 6 orcs, grabbed the item they needed and ran out again, all the while being beaten with orc weapons. He knew he had the Body points to do it and that just reeked of ugliness.

We also just had an Alliance event where someone held a hostage at knife point. Unfortunately, I didn't get over there in time to say, "We have a life spell. Even if you gut her, she'll live. Drop the knife so you don't get oblited for murder."

I will always choose low HP games over high ones to experience the adrenaline pump when you face off with someone knowing that the next swing could be your death and a kobold isn't treated as a pet or a pest but an actual threat.

Oh, about NERF - you can find some interesting items from time to time. The Vortex make cool throwing darts although they don't pass Alliance safety requirements. Also, the NERF Raptor makes an excellent Dark Elf hand crossbow after painting the orange bits black. The first time you raise that towards someone and those arms click back, people stop in their tracks.
Iron%20Raptor.jpg

Just spent a weekend at a Nero(Int) event, where by their own bylaws are REQUIRED to pass all non-broken latex weapons by a list of manufactures, and heard that the majority of the marshals at this chapter don't even want to pass them.
I spent this weekend using an UL short sword that is, frankly beyond ultra light (hyper light might be a good phrase), and is half the weight of what was considered a pretty light weight sculpted latex weapon. It was made of kite spar, kite tape, and 5/8" pipe foam.
I look at it this way, the sculpted latex weapons look great, but it took that shot to the ear I got 3 months to finally heal, and they just are a pain to repair. Add that to an increased start up cost, and I don't feel as they are all that worth the look.
And I would NEVER use them as NPC weapons, as no matter how durable they claim to be, they wont last more then a few years. And you can buy a lot of duct tape for that kind of money.

Lugo said:
Just spent a weekend at a Nero(Int) event, where by their own bylaws are REQUIRED to pass all non-broken latex weapons by a list of manufactures.

Yup. And if I'm not mistaken, that is because NERO HQ is getting funds from them for advertising their products. It's amazing what dollars can do to change things.

Wraith said:
I've been hit with latex weapons before, wouldn't mind being hit with them again, but I do have a bit of trepidation. The way ultralights have influenced some of the fighting styles I've seen to have much more in the way of wrist flicks and high speed drumrolling, I would be less than comfortable facing when done with a weapon rep with a firmer and possibly pointed tip. This isn't the SCA, and I don't always have a closed-face hem on. All it would take is ducking wrong once to get a poke that would make me really unhappy.

Then again, all it takes to salve that problem is slowing down combat a little and fighting safer instead of faster. How to do that is one hell of a debate. :D

As you point out, this is as much a combat style issue as an issue with the reps.

Time for more anecdotes. I got started in sword fighting with 2" wood closet rods, oak bokken, broom handles, and whatever else my friends and I cooked up. We were highschool kids, we had no rule system, no marshalls, and no formal restrictions. We had no armor beyond thin leather gloves and jackets. We did not wear helmets, knee pads, or elbow pads. Whether a weapon was acceptable to fight with was entirely between the two fighters. Other people would weigh in if they saw something they thought was unsafe, but mostly it was up to the two guys fighting to decide whether they were comfortable with the weapons.

Over the course of three years, fighting about five hours a week, the only injury that I know of was a broken pinky finger. There were lots of bruises, sure, but no concussions, no broken ribs, no eyes put out, no organs ruptured. We fenced with 1/4" fiberglass rods without any face protection and never managed to hurt each other.

Basically, the only thing that kept us from killing each other is that, although we were fighting full speed we were never try to hit the other guy. The point was just to land a 'fatal' touch, a touch to the torso, upper legs, upper arms, something where we figured a full speed hit would kill or incapacitate.

My point is that with the most dangerous weapons you could use short of steel, with no adult supervision, no safety gear of any kind, we managed to go for years without significant injuries. We were fighting on bad terrain, with ridiculous wooden great swords, daggers, flails, and one pole axe that involved a three pound training weight taped to a six foot shaft and padded with a towel. What we were doing was incredibly dangerous, and I understand that in retrospect. But think about it.

The only thing keep us safe was ourselves. We wanted to play our game, but we didn't want to hurt our friends. And we managed to play the game in conditions that no larp or sport fighting group would even consider without injury because it was more important to control our attacks and pull the force out of them than it was to win.

Ultimately, what's going to keep people safe in any sport is the players and the marshalls. To me, arguing about weather or not latex weapons are safer than boffers is ridiculous. I've fought, extensively, with the worst weapons you could imagine for sport fighting and got through it just fine when just one accident, one dodge in the wrong direction, one bad fall, could have stove in my head, shattered my neck or spine, ruptured an organ, or driven a broken shaft into my eye. And that can always happen, no matter what we do, no matter what we choose to fight with. A perfect rep that anyone could pass might have a flaw in the manufacture of the core and that core could shatter and drive through the padding. two inches of open celled foam won't slow it down or do anything to protect the person on the other end. And then someone is dead, whether it was PVC and pipe foam, a pool noodle, camp pad, fiberglass, whatever.

Ultimately it doesn't matter. The rules are the rules, and if a latex weapon doesn't have the 5/8 in of padding required to pass under the rules it won't pass. But I would strongly discourage anyone from thinking that any of the weapons we use are really safe. That is all up to the players and the marshalls.

Here is a news article that I think illustrates what I'm trying to say about 'safety' in sport fighting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_V ... ch_Smirnov

A master fencer, using the best equipment available at the time. But he died due to an expected failure of his opponents blade and his own armor.

On a slightly less morbid note, I think there are recipes for ballistic gelatin on line, and I think I could rig up a basic stabbing robot with a reciprocating saw. Anyone curious to see how many stabs it takes for a standard alliance weapons core to poke completely through the tip?

Ateliers Nemesis
http://www.ateliers-nemesis.com/

Iron Liege
http://www.ironliege.com/index_Smithshop.html

Knighthawk Armory
http://www.latex-weaponry.com/
Sellers of Forgotten Dreams, Ex-Caliber, and Eagle Flex latex weapons.

Strongblade
http://www.strongblade.com/
Sellers of Calamacil (Conqueror Series) and Palnatoke (Paladin Series) latex weapons.

Edhellen Armory
http://www.edhellen.com/
Sellers of Forgotten Dreams and Eagle Flex latex weapons.

Medieval Collectibles
http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/
Sellers of Forgotten Dreams latex weapons (seems to carry the entire line).

Back