Literate Alliance

As many at the past couple HQ events have seen, I'm in the middle of reading the original Conan stories written by Robert E. Howard. Originally published in Weird Tales magazine back in the 1930's, they are compiled in three volumes available from DelRey. In order of publishing:1) The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian, 2) The Bloody Crown of Conan and 3) The Conquering Sword of Conan. There are many extra documents and background materials included as well, much the materials collected by J.R.R. Tolkien's son the were published after his death. As for the 21 complete tales (plus 5 infinished or incomplete) I am reading them in the chronological order of Conan's life, which is not the original order of publication. There are several different versions, each coming to different conclusions as to which story belongs where. I picked the one by the writer that seemed make his chronology arguments the best.

BTW Play Age of Conan. Fatalities FTW.

Yes.

Is that not still required reading in high school?

tieran said:
Yes.

Is that not still required reading in high school?

I don't even know if you get scene points for that, like my age did.

They gave you scene points for that crap?

Some stuff I am currently reading:

Spine of the World--R.A Salvator
Mass Effect: Revelation--Drew Karpyshyn
Hyperion--Dan Simmons

Spine of the world I am reading becasue I am slowly making my way threw all of the forgoten relms stuff. With no one on the cape to play d and d with, this is my alternative.

Mass effect: revelation becasue I really liked mass effect, and the writers set up a very cool and detailed, beleible sci-fi world of 2183. Revelation is a prequal, telling the story of a character who was fairly minor in mass effect, but who is hinted to have had his time in the spotlight in the past.

Hyperion I am reading because everyone tells me its so great.
--bill
Caldaria Staff
Caldaria Rules Marshal
(edited for my terrible gramer and poor typing skills)

Books I would recomend: (tho thats probly a list from here to infinity, here are some favorites (excluding star wars))

X-wing series--Michael A. Stackpole and Kevin Anderson (ok, I lied its star wars)
The Scar--China Melvile
Waylander Trilogy (Waylander, In the Relm of the Wolf, Hero in the Shadows)--David Gemil
Dune--Frank Herbert (I meen COME ON, its DUNE)

Soo many more, but I will stop there.
--bill

Mmm, instead of individual books or series, I'll recommend writers! And, apart from Gaiman, many of these aren't "Big Name" people.

So, I'd recommend most anything by the following authors:

Steven Brust (IMN-SHO, one of the BEST contemporary fantasy writers)
Neil Gaiman (Well, duh. Steven Brust's evil twin here (or is that the other way around?))
Neal Asher (Fantastic Sci-Fi universe with believable worlds and characters)
Emma Bull (Specific shout-out to "War for the Oaks"; especially to those who enjoy bands, rock, and Fae:)
Gene Wolf (Loved the Knight-Wizard books)
Christopher Moore (For those who enjoy humor, good characters, and wonderful plots)

I could go on, but I won't. My shelves are calling to me now...."Come. Take another tome, enjoy it...."

ChrisO

I'm re-reading:
Letter to the Ephesians by Paul
Re-reading parts of:
Psalms of the Shepherd King by King David
Just started:
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Fearless Leader said:
Marcena said:
Anyone else writing anything of their own?

Well, since you asked...

The sequel to the Fortannis novel "Arch Enemies" is being serialized now in the fiction forum...

Shameless plug Mr. V. Shameless plug! :p

And no, Clockwork Orange is not required reading. In my school we had two books that we HAD to read. Something about an owl that I didn't read because it was dull as all hell and Lord of the Flies.

loved LOTF

it was just really weird to think of kids turning into that...i honestly don't see it happening in this day and age...kids today are too technically advanced to know how to exist without electricity and an x box

"They may take our land; they may take our lives; but they will never take...our Xboxes!!"

Sounds about right.

(Though for me, I must admit, it's my books.) :)

ChrisO

Just finished re-reading Sandow Birk's take on Dante's Inferno. One of the very few adaptions of classic literature that I will deign to enjoy.

hubby is reading STORMCALLER: the legends of tarmac...

he said I must have rubbed off on him because this is the first book where he's actually rooting for the bad guy! yay!!! :twisted:

i always like the villain...and in the case of SW and HP ...the villains have REALLY good points!!!

Back