Literate Alliance

chriso

Okay, I admit it, I am a word junkie. I'm addicted to the crack that is the written word.

So, to satisfy my curiosity, and to read more on the boards, what's everyone in the middle of? And to keep it simple, I'm limiting it to the printed word (let's say, anything with an ISBN # that isn't an audio book, since that will include graphic novels, 'cause Gaiman is literature no matter what medium he's using:). BUT it's gotta be something you're either in the middle of reading or have finished within the last week.

I'll start: David Park's "The Grand Contraption--The World as Myth, Number, and Chance"

Anyone else? If no one wishes to play, I'll just get back to my book. (Or work, I really should do work.:)

ChrisO

Pullman: The Golden Compass

Sweet! I'm reading "American Gods" too!

Also:

The Ethical Assassin by David Liss
Sin City book 2: A Dame to Kill For by Frank Miller
Sin City book 5: Family Values by Frank Miller
Sin City book 7: Hell and Back by Frank Miller
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

If'n we're including all books either in the middle of being read and those that we've finished in the last week, I'll have to add more of my own. (Good to know I'm not the only avid reader around, though.)

So allow me, please, to add the following:

Harry Mount: "Carpe Diem"
Neal Asher: "The Voyage of the Sable Keech"
Steven Brust: "The Paths of the Dead"
Alexander Dumas: "The Three Musketeers"
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: "Sherlock Holmes-The Complete Novels and Stories Vol 1"

(My last Gaiman read was a couple weeks ago.:)

ChrisO

American Gods is probably the best book I have ever read, no contest.

Other books this past week:

David Eddings - Belgarath the Sorcerer
Piers Anthony - For Love of Evil
Orson Scott Card - Lovelock
Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game
Aldous Huxley - Jacob's Hands

*edited because I wasn't paying attention*

Are we also counting stories we're writing ourselves? If we are then I am reading a miniseries called:

Stultum ex Anglo (Stupid out of English. Short stories being written entirely in latin for my own amusement :) )

Anyone else writing anything of their own?

Of course he is. As well as "Neverwhere", the entire "Sandman" series, and a host of other enjoyments.

I'd no idea he plays in Alliance, though. :)

ChrisO

Ian M Banks: The Player of Games (If you like Space Opera/ALMOST hard scifi...read this, or any of Ian M Banks other Culture novels)
Ian M Banks: Consider Phlebas
Charles Stross: Singularity Sky
China Mieville: Iron Council
George Alec Effinger: When Gravity Fails

Slow week for me too

I'm in the middle of two books right now...

Vali Nasr "The Shia Revival"
Syd Field "Screenplay"

Marcena said:
We have yet to discuss what any of these books are about. What is "The Shia Revival" about?

The Shia Revival discusses the history of the split in Islam that spawned the Sunni/Shi'a rivalry. It then goes into the history of the Shi'a faith and how it reacted to various forms of Sunni rule. It then talks about the modern Shi'a resurgance, beginning with the Iranian Revolution thirty some years ago and through the current War in Iraq, which is painted as largely a struggle between the sects over the future of Islam (it may not have started that way, but it's what it has evolved into).

It's a very good read, very accessible if you don't have a background in the region, and puts a lot of insight into what's going on over here.

And I have a few books I could read, mostly more scriptwriting books. I don't really have anything too engaging to followup my current stash with.

Back