Magic Inert Race

Your implications are hurtful, if not entirely inaccurate. :p

Why would a whole team suffer? I assume the party makeup would include a Healer or two? Maybe a celestialist?

In what way are monsters designed with Magic items in mind? (At least in the standard Database, custom designed monsters are a whole other can o' Shai'Hulud) Heck, that might have been true once on the Magic to hit monsters but the changes to Magic Blade and earth blade have made weapon enchantments unnecissary if you have friends or can cast it yourself.

RuneBrighteyes said:
Secondary pyramid still double base cost.

That is your design (and one I still dig).

I am, in the ancient time honored traditioon of these message boards, modifying it.

I want to get rid of the racials and get cheapest cost for all skills for real- including secondary pyramid.

And that's where I think you'd trip over the line into overpowered. Though no racials and gnarly makeup could compensate. :p

And that's where I think you'd trip over the line into overpowered. Though no racials and gnarly makeup could compensate.

I guess my thought was that allowing people to get both schools at cheapest cost was depowered somewhat by the fact that ANY character can currently get a strong taste of that flexibility (through magic items) and that some spells are available to both schools.

I still LOVE the core of this idea. And want to play one soon.

This sounds pretty cool! I don't think this would be broken but I'd make the makeup/costuming requirements pretty strict just so we don't have everyone start playing one.

Race idea: Reptilians. Think Viashino (Magic: the Gathering) or Lizardmen (Warhammer) or, y'know, Huleen.
Requirements: Must wear fake-bald cap (painted red) with head spikes, all exposed skin must be red with scales (red underarmor is ok in the same manner as yellow/green for ogres/orcs)

The Reptilians (or in their native tongue, Flubberdoops) are quick learners and versatile adventurers. However, a strange alchemicomagical compound in their blood prevents then from activating magic items.

I was thinking these would be the children of Dragons who got all fleshy with mortals while transformed, but the biggest barrier is that the logistics database would punch you in the face if you tried to implement this race ithout some major recoding. :p

I dunno... it feels like the OOG impretus for this purely hypothetic race is to to plant characters into the game that would reduce the chances for item bloat.

Since item bloat is considered a huge problem... why would we NOT want to have this race be popular?

Shoot... while were at it why not make this "Human."

Not being able to use Magic Items would be a big enough disadvantage, in my opinion, to not need significant make-up. All non-dodgy Flubberdoops are essentially two-hit take-downs from spells without the protection of Cloaks/Banes (until they get High Magic Cloaks/Banes) or Spell Parries.

No spell parries, the spirit is not a valid target for that rit if I remember correctly.

Toddo said:
I was thinking these would be the children of Dragons who got all fleshy with mortals while transformed, but the biggest barrier is that the logistics database would punch you in the face if you tried to implement this race ithout some major recoding. :p

The Logistics Database can have "new skills" added that duplicate existing skills that can make it so only Flubberdoops can take them, and that are the same cost for all classes (such as Read/Write Flubberdoop - Cost 3 for all classes, only available to Flubberdoop). This section is in the Campaign Admin and Staff section, under the Skill Management tab. The Flubberdoop race would still need to be added, but that isn't hard; just another database field.

It would be a band-aid on the back end, but it would look clean-ish in the front.

Toddo said:
No spell parries, the spirit is not a valid target for that rit if I remember correctly.

Right. I am saying without Cloaks, Banes, or Spell Parries nearly all non-dodgy Flubberdoops are two-hit take-downs. Thus, I think they don't need significant make-up requirements because that is already a pretty significant racial flaw.

Im more curious about their racial RP. Are they like Biata except to all enchanted items, in that it causes pain as well as being unable to use? Do they have a dislike of items, or are they just unable to use them. I think their racial attitude about their situation is just as much a part of the game balance as their stats. As someone who has been playing a Biata for 10 years, I find that the RP sourounding the aversion to C magic and items can be just as deterimential as the actual inability to learn read magic.

Personally, I would be ok with using this kind of aprotch to further differentiate the existing races. Using Biata as the example, make the incapable of using C items, but make all earth magic related skills always cost lowest price regardless of class.
--bill

dreadpiratebill said:
Im more curious about their racial RP. Are they like Biata except to all enchanted items, in that it causes pain as well as being unable to use? Do they have a dislike of items, or are they just unable to use them. I think their racial attitude about their situation is just as much a part of the game balance as their stats. As someone who has been playing a Biata for 10 years, I find that the RP sourounding the aversion to C magic and items can be just as deterimential as the actual inability to learn read magic.

Personally, I would be ok with using this kind of aprotch to further differentiate the existing races. Using Biata as the example, make the incapable of using C items, but make all earth magic related skills always cost lowest price regardless of class.
--bill

I like the idea that they are kind of like magic "sinks". They can cast magic so you know it doesn't hurt, but maybe they are such good conduits for magic that they absorb magic that they would otherwise try to use from a magic item. Only magic THEY try and channel througha weapon though so they couldn't just be a walking/talking magic nullifier.

Toddo said:

They feel pretty Fey to me.. with the whole magic inert thing, like a messed up version of Normal to hit.
I want to race change all my characters now ;)

I like the magic sink idea. People that just absorb ambient magic to the point where artificially enchanted items can't escape the magical event horizon that is their spirits.

Yeah I'd give this a try. It practically forces you to multiclass for survival, and helps give you lots if places to spend build other then the cookie cutter class builds.
--bill

I would play one. Just for the Rping of why MIs dont work for them and the fum of crazy multiclassing.

zehnyu said:
Earth or Celestial Adept. In a heartbeat. With all hte makeup requirements included.

-Ali

Why not both? If secondary columns cost the same as primary this has "dragon mage class" written all over it.

:nerd:

Craig doesn't read entire threads. :p

Toddo said:
Craig doesn't read entire threads. :p

Sure I do, I just forgot who the OP was. With so many posts by Ray lately I assumed this was his baby so I went with this as being cannon:

RuneBrighteyes said:
Secondary pyramid still double base cost.

That is your design (and one I still dig).

I am, in the ancient time honored traditioon of these message boards, modifying it.

I want to get rid of the racials and get cheapest cost for all skills for real- including secondary pyramid.

If secondary pyramid costs double it doesn't pull my interest as a relatively pure scholar class who will, despite a relatively diverse skillset, would only get 13 build back if I were to go from Elf to Flubberdrop (I'm assuming my 20 build of racials would just get respent on new racials. Not worth it. I would get much more build back if secondary columns were also effected. (Almost had my 4th race picked for me Toddo, my 5 years is up next year)

Other than that, I'm intrigued by this class, and the options it presents for modifying the racials of other classes as well (Bil's suggestion for Biata is a great example) Adding favored / disfavored classes to some of the races could be a cool adjustment. (Hobling comes to mind as having disfavored rates on fighter abilities, Stone Elf for Celestial Favor)

edited slightly to add more info.

Toddo said:
Imagine if you will a PC race that is completely incapable of Activating or using magic items bound in physical objects, I'm talking just spirit rituals here if they want to use ritual system treasure at all. They are still effected as normal by spells, but cannot use magic items at all, they just don't work in their hands.

In exchange, this race (I'ma call them the flubberdoops) gets to choose 2 racials a'la wylderkin, and in addition pays the lowest cost on the chart for every skill in the game. They can still be mages, they can even use wands and High Magic, just not other items.

I'd play one. Am I entirely nutso?

We should call them "humans". I'd think it'd be great, actually. Suddenly, the non-human population would -explode-.

Back