Magic Item Free Campaigns

It would be intresting to play in this type of setting. Also, I think this type of setting would be a place for that race people have been talking about :thumbsup: just saying

phedre said:
Toddo, I hope you're prepared for the high magic insanity that will happen if you run this. I'll get another job to start saving up for plane tickets if I have to. And I'll start convincing WC folks of the caliber of game you write and run, and bring willing and able folks with me.

Back toward the topic, though, you could run all kinds of crafting plotlines, with LCO potions/scrolls/alchemy/blacksmithing that could give rise to more tiers in the journeyman-master continuum.

It could be *amazing.*

Oh yes, wizards will be gods. Squishy, squishy, asthmatic gods. Crafting plot would be HUGE, cause producers of consumables will be in massive demand.

MKing said:
It would be intresting to play in this type of setting. Also, I think this type of setting would be a place for that race people have been talking about :thumbsup: just saying

Flubberdoops would be stupid overpowered here.

Toddo said:
MKing said:

Flubberdoops would be stupid overpowered here.

True, my thoughts were, what if they were a High Caste in the lands, not a PC race. Then part of the end arc of the game, if the race was oked by the powers that be, they were released though the mysts...then you find out that some of them had "escaped" in the past and with the release they awaken....

Interesting...

Toddo,
If you're alright with someone else running it, I'll come out of retirement for this.

-Ali

I've been waiting a while to see where this would go, but I think it is time to raise a question.

Is this a "magic item" free campaign or a "magic item and ritual" free campaign?

I feel the answers are very different and I am much more comfortable with the former than the latter. Ritual casting is a top level skill that helps diversify and maintain the power of casters (arguments about balance or lack thereof of skills in this game aside). Yes, it can be used for high magic, but limiting it to only that devalues the skill significantly.

Personally, I'd like to see the rule for the chapter defined in one of two ways.

1) Magic items simply do not function in this campaign (where magic item is defined as rituals that are cast on an item as opposed to a location or a spirit) and magic items will never go out as treasure.

or

2) Ritual effects only function that originate from ritual scrolls found in this campaign and magic items will never go out as treasure.

I feel that a high level caster should be able to cast rituals like Haven of the Living or even Regenerate if they are lucky enough to get the scroll and components. Heck, if the first rule is implemented, I even think it is okay for them to cast Damage Aura on a sword, as long as they understand that all benefits of that will be suppressed while in the game (including immunity to shatter). I just don't feel comfortable lowering the value of a top level skill for three classes.

I know there are mechanical and logistical snafus to what I've suggested.

-MS

Ritual and MI free. High Magic is way better if its the only way to get cloaks/banes.

I'm in. I'm sooo in Toddo. So very, very in.
--bill

See, if Mike's idea for changing Treasure Policy had worked out, there would have been no need to figure out what to do with the portion of policy you wouldn't want anymore in this hypothetical place. His idea (simplified considerably) was that every scroll, component, and catalyst would be worth a certain amount of production points. With some restrictions to keep things from getting too lopsided, like no more than half your treasure could go out as one type of thing (so no all-component weekends) and keeping the two-of-each-catalyst rule that exists now, plot teams could put out whatever types of treasure best suited the campaign.

Even with the current system, you could put out raw production as treasure, with people having to assemble certain types of ore to make bladed weapons, herbal ingredients for alchemy, medicinal items for potions... the possibilities are endless and I'd be excited to write up that kind of system.

And scholars would be squishy, but that's what your speedbum--I mean fighters are for. :thumbsup:

phedre said:
And scholars would be squishy, but that's what your speedbum--I mean fighters are for. :thumbsup:

I'll remember that for next event.

Toddo - PM me, or FB me. Lets get the ball rollin' :yes:

-Ali

Toddo, you can run an alternate campaign and make your own rules/items and such, running it separate from the Main campaign and don't have to worry about transfers.

I want to cast the widest net possible in terms of getting players, so unless impossible I'd want to see this as a Fortannis game. Transfers are cool and encouraged, I just hope some people would want to play locals. :)

I would be totally down to play a local so long as they could get transferred out when the event is over! :D

A Story of The Beda, best little cursed boat in the world.

Some adventurers actually go to other lands to adventure, not for the glory or for duty to King/Queen and Country. They go to explore and see the sights and possibly get rich while doing it. They are drawn by something, some purpose, or a wanderlust or a greed. Whatever the case, they are setting sail and are bringing along some friends.

A group of explorers are travelling from land to land to see what lies ahead in life and what could possibly be at the edges of the mists between lands. They crew the frigate "Beda" with a minimalist crew, they seek out lands, riches, fame, blood, glory and excitement. For their initial voyage they are inviting some friends to travel with them. Who knows where the mists may take them next?

-----

How much of your chapter remains unexplored? How many lands, towns, villages, jungles, do you wish you could show off? What islands remain untouched? What ruined cities do you wish you could use and show off to PCs?

What if those who travelled on this little boat were cursed to be unable to use any magic items?

I can certainly see that this has captured people's imaginations! :)

Cards on the table, I have put in a request to the HQ ownership to start exploring the possibility/feasability of this and they will need to discuss it. Provided the greenlight is given I will then start recruiting in earnest with an eye towards beginning in 2014. The style would be a fixed-duration game that will attempt to tell one epic story over the course of 9 events. I will post on the board if/when approval is given along with a list of things I'll need and positions I'll need filled. I'm really excited at the possibilities here as we'd be attempting something that to my knowledge has never been tried at alliance.

It saddens me that this would be an EC thing. :(

Me too, but I don't think this would work well as a National event concept. Telling everyone that rituals didn't work is a logistical nightmare in terms of CSS, Regen, links, locks, spirit rituals...

There's also nothing saying we couldn't have a couple events a year combining plot folks from the west coast with a similar idea.

Or, since its Toddo (east coast) and Ali (west coast) that they could put their wonderful evil heads together for something that could work across the country. And probably involve "They didn't figure it out. They broke it worse. Lets see how your next game goes!" phone calls or Skype.

phedre said:
Me too, but I don't think this would work well as a National event concept. Telling everyone that rituals didn't work is a logistical nightmare in terms of CSS, Regen, links, locks, spirit rituals...

There's also nothing saying we couldn't have a couple events a year combining plot folks from the west coast with a similar idea.

Or, since its Toddo (east coast) and Ali (west coast) that they could put their wonderful evil heads together for something that could work across the country. And probably involve "They didn't figure it out. They broke it worse. Lets see how your next game goes!" phone calls or Skype.

Only Regen and CSS are sticky, and I'd have to let those in just so the collective logistics people of the alliance don't lynch me. Links/locks/spirit rits are easy, you just leave em in the mists, i.e. the chapter declines to allow all other restricted effects in (which is the original reason they were called restricted).

Back