Magic Item Free Campaigns

Try telling people they can't have their toys at a National event and there might be some lynching going on, which saddens me.

:(

I'm certainly not proposing this be a national event.

It's the only way I can think of, other than multi-coasting, to make it not exclusively an east coast thing.

I know where to find a good CS guy if you need one Toddo... :nerd:

I certainly am making no intellectual property claims on this concept. If someone on the West Coast wanted to try something similar I'd support it and would be curious to see if the playerbases react differently. :)

RiddickDale said:
I know where to find a good CS guy if you need one Toddo... :nerd:

Why haven't you suggested him for your job then? #burrrrrrrn :wub2:

I offer a full retraction then. But I'm gonna leave it up cuz I think it's funny. :mer:

I do not think I have seen it addressed here and if I have forgive me but although you can get away without the perm Cel circles in a no MI game you need the Earth Circles for ressurections, or some other method of doing so. Honestly that is really really easy and I have seen it done so well it makes you never wnat to use a circle again...but you need to make sure it is addressed.

Joe s.

Yep, in the first post on the thread. :)

Ah, there it is. That is what I would hope for in the kind of setting you propose.

As for Squishy scary wizards....do not forget the Templars sir...or the adepts for that matter. They really become most dangerous thing on the field.

Joe S.

I'd argue big rogues, but we shall see. :twisted:

Simon said:
As for Squishy scary wizards....do not forget the Templars sir...or the adepts for that matter. They really become most dangerous thing on the field.
My Celestial Templar would have a lot of fun in a place like this, even without his many magic items. :thumbsup:

Pity it seems that the Midwest won't be getting a slice of the no-magic-campaign pie, 'cause I really think this sort of game could be a really snazzy break from the usual magic-prevalent games. I wouldn't necessarily want to see it replace the norm, of course, but I think I'd have a lot of fun in such a chapter, especially since I was recently reminiscing about my first few games and how much less power was in town in those days. The whole style and feel of the game is so different when a lot of people have more stuff, and I miss that good ol' feeling of having less around.

You know that writing exercise where you begin a story and hand it off to someone else, and then they hand it off, and so on....

Who's to say each chapter can't get a turn with the travelling MI-free zone? Someone writes the basis for it...
Kantil said:
A Story of The Beda, best little cursed boat in the world.
What if those who travelled on this little boat were cursed to be unable to use any magic items?
And then with the premise and some good note-taking, it could be handed off from chapter to chapter as a special off-season event taking place in a previously undiscovered part of your own world. As for "recurring NPC roles" the crew could take turns with exploring new lands or have their own personal quests to go on in each one, leaving the others to man the boat. Maybe the crew has a big reunion at a National event? Maybe the boat gets its own plot going and each plot team puts a spin on it?

Maybe I'm just excited and enjoy writing something that could bring the whole Alliance world together?

Sorry, I'll put my enthusiasm away for a bit...

Enthusiasm is something you should never put away, unless you're enthusiastic about electricuting people. In which case put it away. Now.

On the serious side the wandering campaign idea has a lot of fun ways you can go with it, harness your enthusiasm and start harrassing some owners (I hear the guy who owns NH might be interested). :)

This would draw me back from my plot retirement. It poses some awesome plot thoughts.

Polare said:
For what it's worth, from my perspective (and this is just my view, not any sort of official ruling or anything!!!!)... It's opening up a big can of worms to allow characters who have Regen/CSS without their attached Regen/CSS working. It's why we asked the Owners to pass (and they did!) a change disallowing Regen and CSS from being LCO rituals, to avoid precisely this scenario.

I would strongly advise either (a) let Regen/CSS in, and *only* Regen/CSS, or (b) don't allow characters in with Regen/CSS at all. Some of the alternatives get reeeeeeeally messy (we on ARC have talked about some of the scenarios and they create big, cross-chapter problems).

Just my 2 cents.

-Bryan

Personally, I'd simply bar the character. If you can make events with a build cap, you should fairly be able to consider any game area like this as simply "bouncing" people with incompatible rituals back to their origin point if they tried to get there.

Complaining about that to me would be like complaining that your 25th level character with two boxes full of magic items wasn't allowed to come to the last low-level event. An effectively unalterable portion of your character is incompatible with the way event works, so they're simply not going.

Toddo said:
Enthusiasm is something you should never put away, unless you're enthusiastic about electricuting people. In which case put it away. Now.

On the serious side the wandering campaign idea has a lot of fun ways you can go with it, harness your enthusiasm and start harrassing some owners (I hear the guy who owns NH might be interested). :)

Definitely, I'd be interested in helping with this no MI/rituals campaign, roving or not, or a roving campaign with all kinds of MI/rituals. Both would be fun.

For the no MI/rituals game in particular, I'd have to help staff it, because I just don't see how pcing a high level scout there would be any fun...

:ninja: ...

Back