Magic Item Free Campaigns

Talen said:
Polare said:
For what it's worth, from my perspective (and this is just my view, not any sort of official ruling or anything!!!!)... It's opening up a big can of worms to allow characters who have Regen/CSS without their attached Regen/CSS working. It's why we asked the Owners to pass (and they did!) a change disallowing Regen and CSS from being LCO rituals, to avoid precisely this scenario.

I would strongly advise either (a) let Regen/CSS in, and *only* Regen/CSS, or (b) don't allow characters in with Regen/CSS at all. Some of the alternatives get reeeeeeeally messy (we on ARC have talked about some of the scenarios and they create big, cross-chapter problems).

Just my 2 cents.

-Bryan

Personally, I'd simply bar the character. If you can make events with a build cap, you should fairly be able to consider any game area like this as simply "bouncing" people with incompatible rituals back to their origin point if they tried to get there.

Complaining about that to me would be like complaining that your 25th level character with two boxes full of magic items wasn't allowed to come to the last low-level event. An effectively unalterable portion of your character is incompatible with the way event works, so they're simply not going.

Well seeing how it is a Magic Item Free Campaign, not magic free campaign it should be allowed.

A low level event is different in that its just that...Low level (where the chapter decides on what is "low level").

The inital conceit of the game was a RItual Magic Free campaign. No scrolls. No items. No effects.

Given the world Toddo was looking to present, I don't think it's wrong at all to ban those effects. That is, if the CSS and Regen effects on a spirit are restricted. That was the initial reason it was called "restricted," I've heard.

If a game can set a Rit limit of "20," I don't really see why they can't set a limit of "0."

Not allowing Regen/CSS is not possible due to the havoc it would wreak on Logistics. My worry is investiture in the "naturally-occurring Greater Earth Circles". I'm not well-versed in Rituals and High Magic, but I think it would require some being capable of packet casting Rituals to get inside the circle and then Invest themselves in order to make use of the Circle. On top of that, they'd have to be convinced (or coerced) into Investing anyone else.

Aside from all this, I would TOTALLY make a trip to attend events run in this campaign. I also have a couple of ideas related to dealing with Earth Circles, if you want to hear 'em, Toddo.

-Luke

Warlok said:
Not allowing Regen/CSS is not possible due to the havoc it would wreak on Logistics. My worry is investiture in the "naturally-occurring Greater Earth Circles". I'm not well-versed in Rituals and High Magic, but I think it would require some being capable of packet casting Rituals to get inside the circle and then Invest themselves in order to make use of the Circle. On top of that, they'd have to be convinced (or coerced) into Investing anyone else.

Aside from all this, I would TOTALLY make a trip to attend events run in this campaign. I also have a couple of ideas related to dealing with Earth Circles, if you want to hear 'em, Toddo.

-Luke

Don't you have to be invested in order to invest others (and thus, cannot invest yourself)? Or is that only lesser investment?

I just checked the scroll and you're right...in order to Invest someone in a Circle, you must already be Invested...which elevates my concern of how to resolve this.

-Luke

You can go with the idea that all "Greater Earth Circles" are a node of some kind, which offers no protection only a place where spirits can reform. Or you can go with an idea that they are nodes that can attune them selves to a number of people i.e. act as an Invest.
I have come in contact with Circles In-game that are flawed and will let anyone in.

The problem I see is that you must be Invested in a Circle in order to begin a Resurrection. I realize now that I really wasn't very clear earlier; but what I've been trying to point out is that any kingdom that gains control of one of these Greater Circles of Power (as it was suggested early on that kingdoms would fight over them as a natural resource), they'd be hard pressed to get any of their members Invested in the Circle in order to make use of it as a Resurrection point.

-Luke

There still can be LCO effects, such as, anyone can walk into the Circle and its the node that is "Invested" which pulls the spirit in i.e. starts the rez and then others can pull the spirits to them i.e. pass off the rez, and run it normal from there. The node will only "pull a spirit in" if there is someone within the circle that can finish off the rez i.e. someone with Healing Arts.

Warlok said:

-Luke

I'm sorry the intention of my post wasn't clear. I didn't mean "Sorry, your PC can't bring that ritual into this game." I meand "Sorry, you can't bring that PC into this game." It'd be similar to trying to bring a level 40 PC into a lowbie game. That PC doesn't have a place at this event. Their spirit is bounced out of the mists much like that other guy's CLW 3/day item.

On investiture, there are a half dozen LCO Effects I can think of to resolve this. There are a few ideas above this post. LCO High Magic Effect (Earth Aspect) to invest yourself in a circle after meditating outside of it for half an hour. Healing Arts = Invested in all Earth Circles. Heck, make an Investiture potion that can only be made inside the circle someone's getting Invested in.

MKing said:
There still can be LCO effects, such as, anyone can walk into the Circle and its the node that is "Invested" which pulls the spirit in i.e. starts the rez and then others can pull the spirits to them i.e. pass off the rez, and run it normal from there. The node will only "pull a spirit in" if there is someone within the circle that can finish off the rez i.e. someone with Healing Arts.

DING!

That's why they're fought over, anyone who gets physical access can use it.

The ultimate game of king of the hill.
--bill

Kingdoms are built and destroyed in the wars that contest the "leylines" upon which the earth circlesarise. They are like fault lines of the Earth's surface that allow its Spirit to flow though, erupting in tiny but glorious fonts of healing power. Or something.

No more spoilers from me. :p

Undrask said:
Kingdoms are built and destroyed in the wars that contest the "leylines" upon which the earth circlesarise. They are like fault lines of the Earth's surface that allow its Spirit to flow though, erupting in tiny but glorious fonts of healing power. Or something.

The Lifestream? FFVII, anyone?

Warlok said:
The problem I see is that you must be Invested in a Circle in order to begin a Resurrection. I realize now that I really wasn't very clear earlier; but what I've been trying to point out is that any kingdom that gains control of one of these Greater Circles of Power (as it was suggested early on that kingdoms would fight over them as a natural resource), they'd be hard pressed to get any of their members Invested in the Circle in order to make use of it as a Resurrection point.

-Luke

Or you effectively make the node have the "flaws" of "any Earth Caster is automatically invested in circle, circle is always "down"."

Voila, any healer can avail themselves of the ability to resurrect people on the grounds in question. After all, in a land where there is no Investiture ritual, why would anyone think it'd be required when all you need to do is be a healer at the right spot?

In Seattle's new campaign I had a nifty artifact "The blanket" which was marked with a special symbol and allowed me to enter and exit special earth circles which are spread around the lands as if I was invested. You could use something along those lines to allow access to earth circles throughout the lands. It would also make for fun battles because those artifacts would be of massive importance.

Looks like some maniac is actually doing this.

Nice...can't wait to see how it goes!!!

phedre said:
Toddo, I hope you're prepared for the high magic insanity that will happen if you run this. I'll get another job to start saving up for plane tickets if I have to. And I'll start convincing WC folks of the caliber of game you write and run, and bring willing and able folks with me.

Start saving. :)

Back