My newbie questions

I know these might depend on my local chapter, but give me whatever answer seems right to you.

1) As a Dryad, can I use two-handed blunt? This isn't clear to me in the rules.

2) With the merchant skill, can I ask the marshals for prices on items that aren't listed in the rules? For example, ritual components?

3) Where can I get cheap "potion vials"?

David_Aselrik said:
I know these might depend on my local chapter, but give me whatever answer seems right to you.

1) As a Dryad, can I use two-handed blunt? This isn't clear to me in the rules.
sure, go ahead. the only proscription for Dryads is against Edged weapons, of any flavour (save arrows, javelins, and throwing-knives, but we're not gonna quibble)

David_Aselrik said:
2) With the merchant skill, can I ask the marshals for prices on items that aren't listed in the rules? For example, ritual components?
two parts to the question, i'll answer the second first: no. you can not get prices for anything without a production value, so nothing like: Components, Ritual Scrolls, Magic Items, Sarr, etc.

as to the first part, whether you can get marshals to quote prices on the spur of the moment, that'll change from chapter to chapter, but i've never been to a game where they're willing to just tell you what something's worth. sure, Logistics will "buy" any production items from you during a Logistics-period, but i doubt the Dwarven merchant is gonna quote you a bid price while y'all are playing

David_Aselrik said:
3) Where can I get cheap "potion vials"?
i've heard that the Wedding section at Walmart (or other craft stores) is a good place to find Bubble-Blowers

American Science and Surplus is a great place for all kindsa stuff, though they only sell tubes, vials, and other such like. i've never seen bubble-blowers there.

The Lab Depot is another place to find tubes and vials, so long as you don't mind buying in bulk

You can buy large quantities of plastic "test tubes" with caps from chemical equipment supply houses -- make sure they can hold the required minimum quantity of liquid (check the rul book, but if memory serves me well, it's 2 ozs, min.).

In quantities of a thousand the cost is usually less than $0.03 each (including caps). Get together with other players and pool your needs -- give them as gobby goods (whatever happened to the "requirement" that potions dropped into the game by NPCs have to be properly phys repped?) - sell them IG or OOG to other players who need them.

I can't speak for all chapters but hq drops potions that are in vials. But that doesn't mean you'll never find one that another player dropped or something that's not in a vial.

Ondreij said:
You can buy large quantities of plastic "test tubes" with caps from chemical equipment supply houses -- make sure they can hold the required minimum quantity of liquid (check the rul book, but if memory serves me well, it's 2 ozs, min.).

It is 1/4 oz of liquid minimum. I use square ones that you can get at Taps plastic. They would cost a bit more than 3 cents a piece but I like the way they look and fit together.

Which is 7.39 ml.

Of which the most popular potion reps used in game (at least on the east coast) hold just over 5ml.

So if you are buying new ones, make sure they are legal reps.

It has been suggested that you don't even need your vials to be vials, per se, so long as they take up the appropriate amount of space.

Given that, couldn't thick-walled vials that hold 5ml be used to rep thin-walled vials that hold 7.3?

If you are buying from a laboratory supply company look for vials that are 13x100mm (~4" long), which is the correct minimum size (8mL is the smallest you're likely to find that meets the 1/4 oz / 7.4mL requirement). 12x75mm vials (~3" long), the more common ones seen throughout the Alliance, are too small as they hold only 5mL.

jpariury said:
It has been suggested that you don't even need your vials to be vials, per se, so long as they take up the appropriate amount of space.

Given that, couldn't thick-walled vials that hold 5ml be used to rep thin-walled vials that hold 7.3?

Other than you just suggesting it, I have never heard that before.

The book says it must be able to hold 1/4 ounce or more. Not it must have a volume of a container that could hold 1/4 ounces or more.

I'm an alchemist so I'm going to need the vials. The vials I found during the event were already in bottles.

Page 102:

"Potions: All potion phys reps must be large
enough to hold at least a minimum of a quarter
ounce of liquid. The phys rep does not actually
have to contain any liquid to be valid."

Technically, the rules do not say that they need to actually be able to hold the liquid, just that they need to be large enough to hold it. If someone produced a solid phys rep that was bigger than the min size plastic tubes/bottles I see other using, I don't see an issue with them using it.

It must be large enough to hold the liquid.

Please explain to me how a solid block of wood/metal/glass, whatever you are making the vial from, can hold any liquid.

Because you are not then required to actually fill the vial, does not suddenly negate the other requirement.

Would I stop someone from using a really cool solid rep that if hollowed out would then be able to hold the required amount, probably not. But that does not make it a legal rep.

The purpose (one might even say "spirit") of the rule is to take up physical space, and provide a visual and physical frame of reference superior to a slip of paper for the purpose of elixirs and potions. As such, a solid object of sufficient volume suffices in supporting the spirit of the rule.

Mind you, making your sword a physrep for your potion or elixir is stretching far beyond the intent. So, the general middle ground is that it should look more or less like a little bottle, and take up that amount of space. Whether or not it is a bottle, vial, or wooden peg, is rather beside the point.

Back