My newbie questions

Awesome fantasy author. Just check her stuff on Amazon

AAAH! It's HER! I had completely forgotten about Mercedes Lackey.

I read the book "Summoned to Tourney" and it was the only book that I have thrown across the room reading it because I hated it. I think that the line that did it was something like:

"And she descended the staircase in a beautiful dress. It was hard to discern what period it was from but it was lovely, like something out of Kevin Costner's Robin Hood."

Now, unless she was insulting the elf who made the dress (which she wasn't) or the movie (which she wasn't) the gal has absolutely NO understanding for period dress. Also noted by the outfits her characters wore at the Northern California Ren Faire. They were completely fantasy based dress and the "Costume Nazi's" (that's what they're called in the book and by people who attend the Faire) gave them a passing grade. I got my *** chewed by them because one of my shirts had a dagged collar on it.

markusdark said:
"And she descended the staircase in a beautiful dress. It was hard to discern what period it was from but it was lovely, like something out of Kevin Costner's Robin Hood."

R O T F L M F A O ! ! !

Mark - Thanks. I just got off a boring call when I got back to The Boards and read your reply - I now have a HUGE smile on my face.

Um, no thank you to Mercedes Lacky -- I prefer my fantasy to be the Live Action Role Playing kind ... or more the kind of fiction written by the likes of Philip K. **** , Poul Andersen, and Larry Niven - with more emphasis on the humanism and less dependence on the fantasy.

Ondreij said:
Now- that kind of plastic phial is very game safe, I would say.
I do have to wonder at the wisdom of a Guardian of the Earth (or Light or whatever) opting to pouring necromancy all over the earth...

I'm not saying "don't buy hollow tubes because they might break". I'm saying "solid tubes might be safer, and can look the part". :)

jpariury said:
Ondreij said:
Now- that kind of plastic phial is very game safe, I would say.
I do have to wonder at the wisdom of a Guardian of the Earth (or Light or whatever) opting to pouring necromancy all over the earth...

I'm not saying "don't buy hollow tubes because they might break". I'm saying "solid tubes might be safer, and can look the part". :)

Well, I did turn them in so that they could be sent for destruction -- her way was not the way I would have opted -- but she was reassigned to other places at a later date.

So, if a Cure Light Wounds potion is mixed with a Cause Light Wound potion, what do you think would be the IG result?

jpariury said:
It simply can't be done. Pg 102: Potions cannot be mixed into food or drink or diluted or mixed together in any way.

Not quite what I was asking - although a little bit tongue in cheek, I was asking what would happen if a healing potion and a necromatic potion where to be combined - not mixed into food - that is if they where to be mixed together in the same container. It WAS tongue in cheek ... along the ideas of matter mixing with anti-matter ... or an acid being mixed with a base.

Ondreij said:
jpariury said:
It simply can't be done. Pg 102: Potions cannot be mixed into food or drink or diluted or mixed together in any way.

Not quite what I was asking - although a little bit tongue in cheek, I was asking what would happen if a healing potion and a necromatic potion where to be combined - not mixed into food - that is if they where to be mixed together in the same container. It WAS tongue in cheek ... along the ideas of matter mixing with anti-matter ... or an acid being mixed with a base.

Still nothing. Like oil and water, potions can't be mixed.

Ondreij said:
jpariury said:

Yeah, I probably shoulda added a smiley. :) There we go.

That said, from a rules standpoint, you cannot mix two potions together. Let me fontificate: Potions cannot be mixed into food or drink or diluted or mixed together in any way.

If that were the intent, it should be worded that mixing potions ruins both, rendering them useless. As it stands, I believe you simply cannot do it, much like you can't have a US-style democracy.

But that's silly. Quite clearly I can open the two vials and pour the contents of one into the other, so what happens if I do?

i'm with you, Shandar, there should be *some* understanding of what happens. i mean, logistically speaking, they can't mix; you could NOT make a "Cure/Cause Light wounds" potion of any kind, but it's neat to think of what the actual liquids would do. ¿would they repel like polarized magnets? would they refuse mixture as though they had highly disparate densities? would they neutralize? explode? something else entirely? since it's not spelled out in the rules, it would be up to your individual Plot to decide on the effects, so long as the overall conclusion was no hybrid admixture

personally, i like the oil/water idea as it makes a certain kind of logical sense and is the least likely to impact game mechanics

Agreed that it should be put up to ARC. I also agree that the list of things we are disallowed from doing is silly (such as wielding two shields), but it is what it is.

Thematically, I can see the CuLW+CaLW = negated thing. However, under the idea that mixing potions ruins them, you could just as easily mix two CaLW together and get the same result. Or a CaLW and a Drain potion mixed...

Personally, from a thematic pov, I'd rather see that a Purify cast at a necromantic potion will render it useless, and a Purify cast on food and drink will remove any alchemical effects. (Similarly, a Drain cast on a healing potion will render it useless)

Every potion must be in its own separate container in order to be effective/usable. I have heard this time and again since you cannot have one big vial of cure lights that people can take swigs of for 2 points of healing until they get up to full. As such, if you 'pour' one into the other (place two tags into the same container), they are useless and do nothing until you separate them and put them into their own containers again. Since they were not used, you do not tear the tags and therefore they are still viable - just not until they're in their own vials. Heck, you could pile 50 tags into a giant bottle but until you get them separated, they're just so much pretty confetti.

markusdark said:
Every potion must be in its own separate container in order to be effective/usable. I have heard this time and again since you cannot have one big vial of cure lights that people can take swigs of for 2 points of healing until they get up to full. As such, if you 'pour' one into the other (place two tags into the same container), they are useless and do nothing until you separate them and put them into their own containers again. Since they were not used, you do not tear the tags and therefore they are still viable - just not until they're in their own vials. Heck, you could pile 50 tags into a giant bottle but until you get them separated, they're just so much pretty confetti.

How is this any different from just having a bucket of cure lights? I mean, all you'd have to do is carry around a single potion vial to 'dip' potion quantities out, then toss it back in the larger container when done.

Back