Mystic Wood Elf make-up req change.

The satyr counterpart is nymph? I always thought it was the glaistig, them also sharing being beautiful with horns, cloven feet, and furry goat legs.

"Satyrs were male creatures who inhabited woodlands and forests in Greek mythology. They often accompanied Dionysos, and were frequently depicted in art and myth as members of the god's ecstatic entourage (an entourage, by the way, which included not only satyrs but the wild women known as Maenads or Bacchantes). In addition, the satyrs as a group were passionately fond of females - especially nymphs, those gentle and beautiful nature spirits."

http://www.loggia.com/myth/satyr.html

Libras said:
The satyr counterpart is nymph? I always thought it was the glaistig, them also sharing being beautiful with horns, cloven feet, and furry goat legs.

Satyr and nymph are Greeek. Glaistig is Scottish.

from Wikipedia - for what that's worth...

In Roman mythology, fauns are place-spirits (genii) of untamed woodland. Romans connected their fauns with the Greek satyrs, wild and orgiastic drunken followers of Bacchus (Greek Dionysus). However, fauns and satyrs were originally quite different creatures. Both have horns and both resemble goats below the waist, humans above; but originally satyrs had human feet, fauns goatlike hooves. The Romans also had a god named Faunus and goddess Bona Dea, who, like the fauns, were goat-people.

Saephis said:
Alavatar said:
People keep bringing up Wild Elves. Is that a recognized race, now?

Nope. Elf is an Elf, regardless of what you throw in front of it. Other than Dark. And Mystic Wood. Or Stone.

Maybe a few more re-names should be considered, hmm? But that's for other thread(s)...

Other than that, I'd completely forgotten about the reduced-cost craftsman skill. Nevermind you have to get what, 5? Yes, I'm so sure that they hate and loathe being in the having of money on a regular basis.

I'll still stand by the "If you want to remove ears, replace it with something else" statement. Removing the ears causes confusion with Satyrs when nothing else is added, and removing them without replacing them with something else throws a wrench into the advantage / disadvantage scheme of things.

I am late on replying to this but I just read it and since no one has pointed it out....the rulebook says "MWE's tend to share their possessions with others who may need them, and do not understand the preoccupation with money that other races have" So, having money on a regular basis shouldn't mean much to a MWE, imo. My character has 10 craftsman and is somehow always broke, because she spends too much on wining and dining anyone who happens to catch her fancy, or just being helpful when someone needs to buy something. I've always sort of seen it as I have to buy 5 craftsman by level 5, but that means I'll have some money, but it doesn't really matter since my character shouldn't care - basically I think the disadvantages cancel out the one possible advantage of the money thing.

Anyway, ftr I am in favor of keeping the ears. I have always associated them with the MWE's Satyr parentage - more of an animal type pointed ear than an elven one.

Yea, even if a new name can be decided without Elf in it I'd be fine with letting them keep the ears. Perhaps consider suggesting to turn the ears upsidedown like with Sarr? But just a thought. The biggest reason I dislike the name now is because, especially for newer people it can lead to confusion and them thinking there are 4 types of elf elves. When really there are only the 3. Regular, Dark, and Stone.

I also agree however that if properly RP'ed, a mystic wood elf shouldn't really be rich even with those levels of CO.

There is onyl one kind of elf.

Elf.

Dark Elf and Stone Elf are completely different races.

Dreamingfurther said:
Perhaps consider suggesting to turn the ears upsidedown like with Sarr?

Upside-down ears? Never heard of this. Please explain.

GAH!!!

I don't think MWEs, DE's or SE's need to have their names changed. Seriously, it is insn't broke so don't try to fix it. There are still Mystic Wood Elves in game. Are you going to try to tell them "Yeah, I know you have thousands of years of history, but that's not what you're called anymore." They'd be like "gtfo" besides so many chapters have their own unique name for this race that it hardly matters anyway.

If they take away the elf ears I will be pissed though because my MWElope looks uber cute with her horns and ears on.

Michiko said:
GAH!!!

I don't think MWEs, DE's or SE's need to have their names changed. Seriously, it is insn't broke so don't try to fix it. There are still Mystic Wood Elves in game. Are you going to try to tell them "Yeah, I know you have thousands of years of history, but that's not what you're called anymore." They'd be like "gtfo" besides so many chapters have their own unique name for this race that it hardly matters anyway.

If they take away the elf ears I will be pissed though because my MWElope looks uber cute with her horns and ears on.

QFT!

No, and I agree.

I don't think any of their names need to be changed.

They are all OOG designations anyway.

Its just that most of them carry over directly to IG.

Michiko said:
GAH!!!

I don't think MWEs, DE's or SE's need to have their names changed. Seriously, it is insn't broke so don't try to fix it.

The reason for the 'fix' is that MWE's were named after a specific location when the world was but a single chapter. With the expansion of the game and creation of an IG world so wide, to continue to have a race that is apparently everywhere named after a single, tiny geographical area, IMO, doesn't make sense. Especially for those of us who play thousands of miles from its location.

Or is there even a Mystic Woods in this realm? Don't have a map of yer areas. ;)

Actually NJ MWE's call themselves Mystic Wood Elves (unless I am totally misremembering my race packet, which is entirely possible since it's been a while) and there's an IG reason for that. In Caldaria they are called Ansconi and in HQ they are the Children of Camulous. They don't call them MWE's because there's no IG reason to. That's it. Problem fixed.

Sarr in HQ don't particularly like being called Sarr, they have their own IG name. There are plenty of Barbarians who don't call themselves that and are highly offended if you do call them that. Heck I even know orcs who don't call themselves orcs IG. There's plenty of examples where the name of the race as a whole is not the name that they go by in each individual chapter.

Hey, if Willow looses ears, Kai will eat faces. Like more than usual.

At this time there is no motion with the owners or ARC to remove ears nor change the name of the MWE race.

Erica
AllianceNJ

Back