National

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
yeah for me its either or...if its small and creepy and bites and isn't covered in fur and doesn't purr...it should be eaten by other animals...insects, bugs, spiders, flying, creeping, crawling, etc....bat/birdfodder

Y'know not all spiders are small. Some are big enough to catch bats/birds and eat them.

some insects can catch birds and eat them????? like itty bitty birds like humming b irds??? good gravy!

Um, without spiders the world would be covered in swarming, flying inspects. Spiders are our friends.

Scott

oh i don't like the flying insects either...no bugs..spiders, flies, etc.

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
some insects can catch birds and eat them????? like itty bitty birds like humming b irds??? good gravy!

Check out Goliath "bird eater" tarantulas. I want one so bad. They get to be up to a foot across and can eat mice, bats and even birds. Wicked cool :D

Duke Frost said:
Um, without spiders the world would be covered in swarming, flying inspects. Spiders are our friends.

Scott

Unless they're trying to eat your Gypsy Moth Scavenger. Then you smack them.

youthculture said:
Duke Frost said:

Scott

Unless they're trying to eat your Gypsy Moth Scavenger. Then you smack them.

Gypsy Moth... the other white meat. Nom nom nom.

KaiLan said:
Tzydl Zhitelava said:

Check out Goliath "bird eater" tarantulas. I want one so bad. They get to be up to a foot across and can eat mice, bats and even birds. Wicked cool :D
You could keep a few around in case the neighbor's cats wandered too close to your house. That'll teach the crazy cat lady across the street!

reminds me of arachnaphobia...that movie was sadistic...just plain WRONG....at least they didn't do a sequel...

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
reminds me of arachnaphobia...that movie was sadistic...just plain WRONG....at least they didn't do a sequel...

You should watch Eight Legged Freaks. It's basically a zombie movie with spiders. And Kari Wuhrer is in it too.

Scott

okay so in the interest of being the advocate i started looking up spiders and looked up that goliath bird eating tarantula...

just so you all know...of the 350 species of spiders known to the world 200 of them have venom that can kill or cause a human to be sick...that's over half....there is a spider native to vermont that has venom that can kill humans....also i will admit that they said no spider will bite a human as we are not a viable dinner unless we squish them or attack them or they feel invaded upon by us...however........

we may not be a dinner for ONE but what if there's alot of them over for christmas dinner at uncle bob's house and there's a horrible influx of babies...i'm telling you theywill see me and say "she would feed us until the cows come home" ....

aaaand...daddy long legs.....
There is an urban legend stating that daddy long-legs spiders have the most potent venom of any spider, but that their chelicerae (fangs) are either too small or too weak to puncture human skin; the same legend is also repeated of the harvestman and crane fly, also called "daddy long-legs" in some locales. Indeed, pholcid spiders do have a short fang structure (called uncate). However, brown recluse spiders also have uncate fang structure, but are able to deliver medically significant bites. Either pholcid venom is not toxic to humans or there is a musculature difference between the two arachnids, with recluses, being hunting spiders, possessing stronger muscles for fang penetration. [1]

In 2004, the Discovery Channel show MythBusters set out to test the daddy long-legs myth (season 1, episode 13 "Buried in Concrete"). After measuring the spider's fangs at approximately 0.25 mm (average human skin thickness varies from about 0.5mm to 4mm), the show's host was apparently bitten, although the bite produced little more than a mild short-lived burning sensation. This appears to confirm the suspicion that pholcids can penetrate human skin, but that their venom is practically harmless to humans. Additionally, recent research by Alan Van **** has shown that pholcid venom is actually relatively weak in its effects on insects as well[5].

According to the University of California at Riverside, the daddy long-legs spider has never harmed a human and there is no evidence that they are venomous to humans.[6]

One reason why these spiders are said to be so dangerous could be that they regularly prey on other spiders, including the black widow (Latrodectus spp.), which itself can be dangerous to humans, with the reasoning that the preying spider must be even more venomous; which is incorrect

GO DADDY LONG LEGS!!

not ALL spiders are trying to eat your gypsy moth friend while she was still a fuzzy, sleepy caterpillar.

some are willing to help out. even though she smelled soooooooooooo good.

I love that recurring NPC spider bodyguard gig. Any RP with Shane (while being his crazily statted bodyguard) is inherently awesome.

Just so you know... there are thousands of species of spiders in the world...not just 350.

This doesn't help, but I'm just pointing it out.

well according to this report on spiders i just read...they said there were 350...but maybe its an old report..it seems a small amount to me..considering there's supposed to be a billion species in teh rainforest we're burning and don't know about yet...

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
One reason why these spiders are said to be so dangerous could be that they regularly prey on other spiders, including the black widow (Latrodectus spp.), which itself can be dangerous to humans, with the reasoning that the preying spider must be even more venomous; which is incorrect

Just to increase your "heebie jeebies" factor, our two female Oasi spiders are both Black Widows, one of which is the Mediteranean Black Widow which has a pattern of red spots instead of the more recognizable hourglass. :)

so if someone went into game as a scavy of a daddy long legs would it want to eat the black widow? that's one thing i've never seen is like....dog scavvies don't particularly hate sarr....so their most animalistic instincts must be non existent?

I've never seen a dog scavvie hanging around a sarr (or a dog scavvie ever), but considering sarr's racial hatred of gnolls, I can't say it's non-existent.

i was just wondering if there are every any racial hatreds? PC v PC...i just cant imagine that everyone would get along so well? ya know what i mean? i've never seen PCs fighting each other ...besides the typical dramatic stuff....i would picture in my head that dog scavvys and sarrs would constantly bicker and fight...and sarrs would say dislike bird scavvies...(never seen a bird scavvy but i know telokh plays one) just wondering :D

man this subject has gotten waaaayy of topic ehhehehehe

If you want some racial hatred, play a dark elf. Dark elves hate or at the least disdain all other races.

Scott

see not the three dark elves i met...they're all buddy buddy with everyone...but then one wasn't always a dark elf..heheheh

Back