New Rule Book Comment Thread

Ezri said:
Light was changed to celestial only in the last edition. Previously it was earth only. Frankly I don't think it made much sense to be in earth in the first place. Celestial casters have all the other eldritch force spells (wall of force, ward, wizard lock) it made sense that they should also have light. Mages are the conjurers. They pull things from their environment to create ice bolts, stone storms, magical barriers and the like. Conjuring up a light should be their domain as well. The only one that is shared is circle of power.

Also, in exchange, Endow was moved to earth, since it affects the body. It seemed more logical for each.

I wish the Earth CoP could have a different incant for consistency... but that's just me. ;)

yea, changes all = awesome IMO I'm also very excited about the re-organization and all the fleshing out of the races.

It makes total sense for Celestial casters to have the Light spell. I'm more wondering why it's not a universal spell available to both schools? It's a pretty innocuous, non-combat oriented spell after all.

MKing said:
for the other one...I have mixed feelings on this one...I've played in the game where you need to state what the damage or healing the spell does when you cast it...I can see how it would help...and could you do that anyway?? or would that be called a blown incant?? just a thought...-

im like 99.99999% positive that wont blow the incant, unless its been changed in these new rules which i doubt. It does however make life a lot easier and magic more effective when theres a lot going on.

just make sure you say the number after the full encant.

"a call forth a stone bolt" ... 5 damage.. or something to that effect

Chazz said:
--How does a 2 buld racial become capable of resisting/ removing a Greater Command while a 4 build skill does not? I play an orc and I still don't know how much I like that, regardless of what I think of the effect itself (which is nothing good). Maybe resist fear should have been kicked up to 3-4 build or resist Command kicked down to 3 (not a perfect solution but at least I am trying here).

Well, playing high orc as well... my thought is this. As a high orc, you're supposed to be fearless. Your ability to resist fear, and its effects, is shown through the Resist Fear skill. Terror is a more extreme version of fear.

Also - perhaps the owners felt that there should be reason to invest in racials besides Racial Prof and Racial Slay?

Jevedor said:

Actually... that'd be a blown incant. :D

James Trotta said:
I thought the stuff on marrying another race in the elf section was weird. It says they discourage marriages with non-elves because it hurts to lose someone who's not going to live very long. But they also talk about temporary marriages... So there's a pretty good chance (if you brookmate or whatever) of getting out before the other person dies.

Not to mention that there are a lot of other long lived races. MWE's are immortal. Biata, Elves, Stone Elves, and Dark Elves all live comparable lengths. Barkskin Dryads approach those lengths. Dwarves run 500 years or so. So really, it's more 'don't mingle with the humans, greenskins, or furry folk', no?

Stoneskull_Rockfist said:
Jevedor said:

oops didnt realize the typo.... problem with staying up way past my bed time :D

"I call forth a stone bolt: .... 5 damage.....

i suppose if u slurred it real good or said it fast enough "A" can sound like "I".... gypsy pronunciation...maybe .... lol

Jevedor said:

There is no blown incant here, the entire spell incant is said without anything in between.

Last event I memorized all cure lights in my pyramid (more like trapezoid); When i was chain casting cure lights (because I was going through them so fast), I threw the number after the incant. "I call upon the earth to cure light wounds four, I call upon the earth to cure light wounds five, ...."

I heard a great method for casting and making sure you finish your incants: Verbally, or in your head say "click" (I like to use what number I am on), and throw the packet on click. Its 1/2 second after your incant, and no one will call you for throwing too early.

Also - perhaps the owners felt that there should be reason to invest in racials besides Racial Prof and Racial Slay?

On a side note I am very happy that I will never be affected by the terror skill.

Gormegil said:

On a side note I am very happy that I will never be affected by the terror skill.

Yea I've heard those stories. :D

I just happen to like... no love.. the resist fear skill. I may take this opportunity to suddenly have more.

Though I've not been affected by a fear affect in years.. ::sigh::

Sunnfire said:
April 2007 was the last time I can confirm you did indeed, run like a bitch.

Ho Ho What! :eek:

LOL. This is true, though, if I recall the person who made me run also ran like a little school girl into a barbed wire fence to escape after I dropped him once. And also subsequently lost to me in an epic honor combat....twice in a row.

So yes.. I did run. But that was the catalyst to make me never want to run ever again.

I seem to have missed where it says those with Alchemy can identify alchemical substances. It says that you can identify the more quickly if a master, and it says you cannot identify them in one's bloodstream, but I don't see where it says you can do it normally. Maybe it's just me.

elliotbay said:
I seem to have missed where it says those with Alchemy can identify alchemical substances. It says that you can identify the more quickly if a master, and it says you cannot identify them in one's bloodstream, but I don't see where it says you can do it normally. Maybe it's just me.

Its under Herbal Lore (pg 62) which is the required skill

Ah, thanks

Back