Refugees and Farms

Vanyal,

I will be making records of the refugees, and I can take account of injuries and illnesses in the meantime, and forward them to the appropriate locations for treatment.

Earthen Apprentice Vellis Valeriana Tsalarioth of the Aquilix of Odekrag

I can offer jobs doing dishes and help around the kitchen, as well as gather what food I can for the refugees. It may not be much, but that and teaching the skills I have are all that I can offer.

Kidda Copperpot, Head Cook Maplewood Tavern and Inn

Apprentice Vellis, I plan on doing much the same as you. I thank you for taking it on yourself to do such. At some point we should check in with each other to make sure we have matching and complete information. Other than that all I can ask is that you continue doing exactly what you are doing and again thank you.

Kidda Copperpot, any food you can gather is valuable beyond measure. Everyone arriving just in time for winter is sadly not thee most opportune time but we will have to make due. As I have said before if you need any funds to make sure we are stocked on food just forward me the numbers and I will get it taken care of.

-Equitem Sir Vanyal Anarion

So, after pouring over the discussion I've put together a list based off voiced interest in things that people (at least those participating in this discussion) feel should be addressed for the betterment of protecting the refugees. I hope I haven't over simplified too much, but I'm trying to keep things concise, so we can keep focus. Other things will fall into place as their necessity becomes apparent (so please don't take a list as an opportunity to add to it and over complicate things) . I also was using this as a way to gauge where people felt I should place the donations:
Farming/Hunting/Livestock
  • Bhaskara
  • Dab
  • Durnic
  • Zeth
  • Trunk
  • Kreiger
Administration
  • Vellis
  • Vanyal
  • Morgan
  • Larix
  • Krieger
  • Kidda
Building (necessities) Houses, latrines, Warehouses
  • Durnic
  • Dab
  • Larix
  • Kreiger
Building (defenses) Walls, Forts, Outposts
  • Luke
  • Fargal
  • Larix
  • Kreiger
  • Eli
Building (Magic Defenses)
  • Zeth
  • Luke
Teaching (Military)
  • Durnic
  • 1k bones
  • Kreiger
  • Eli
  • Vanyal
Teaching (Scholar: Celestial/Earth)
  • Luke
  • Kreiger
Teaching (Craftsmen/Tradesmen)
  • Durnic
  • Kreiger
In summary:
It seems the focus has been on survival basics, chiefly among these is food (farming, hunting & livestock).

There's also been a great deal of discussion about administration; organizing the refugees, making work for idle hands, and directing refugees so they can be taught skills best suited to each individual. Administration doesn't have to have much invested into it resource wise however (not yet anyway). We have those among us who have an interest in assisting, and we can work together to make it happen in an organized way.

And next is shelter and defense. Because of the ever present danger of the Savage Legion, I think an initial focus on fortifications an defenses would be prudent. The Keep we cleared a few weeks ago should be a good foundation, and word has it the ground there is a good start for farming. As we strengthen and build defenses, we can move the refugees from temporary housing within the keep into homes, and provide a defensible place to withdraw to should the budding village fall under attack. This will be a good point of reference for the warriors and scholars to base their teaching off of so they can tailor their lessons to practical uses. Vanyal and I were told that the structure could be warded effectively with 3 wards (please correct me if I'm mis-remembering). I like the idea of arranging a signaling system that could alert us should they fall under Legion attack so we can act swiftly to come to their aid.

This should fit in with Kreiger's plan, and support what has been discussed by everyone else.

For the donations:
the weapons will be put to use by those trained in their use, anything in excess will be put aside as an armory for the refugees yet to be trained. military teachings can be steered to train in the use of the weapons we have available for them. it should be noted we have a lot of weapons, but very little armor.
Potions and alchemy have already been identified, curatives and defensives will assist most greatly, and some alchemy will require training for their proper use, and to prevent accidents. I would consider liquidating any offensive potions & alchemy to coin to purchase more supplies.
Scrolls that are too complex for the refugees to use will need to be exchanged for coin, in my opinion they will be unable to make immediate use of them, and the supplies we can purchase may be more valuable in the short term.
Coin: the coin gathered based on the inferred advice in this discussion would be a 40/60 split; 40% into survival basics (food, medicine, shelter) and 60% into the defense of the refugees (building materials for fortifications and defenses).

I value your input, if you have ideas, please share them.

- Magistrate Larix

My skills as a military architect were apparently passed over in the first series of questions asked. I would like to put my expertise in building palisades, smithies, warehouses, common houses, homes, farms, wheel houses, archery ranges, drilling grounds, windmills or even walls to good use.

Last edited:
If we need armor I can make up to plate mail easy enough so I will take requests and orders.

Fargal FarCliff
Ayuni Arms and Armour

Master Fargal,

What is the strongest weight of armor you are capable of making?

My skills as a military architect were apparently passed over in the first series of questions asked. I would like to put my expertise to use in building palisades, smithies, warehouses, common houses, homes, farms, wheel houses, archery ranged, drilling grounds, windmills or any even walls to good use.

worry not Durnic, the focus of your words seemed to be more on Farming, Hunting, Military, the desire to teach those skills, and the building of homes. the list was not meant to be finite, as I know that the talents of those I've seen does not equal the talent anyone possesses, and by similar note, the desire to help the refugees is not contingent upon ones participation in this discussion. For example Kasuni & Shin participated, but did not specifically mention areas they thought were important to focus our aid, nor how they would assist. But I know they care, and when the time comes I have faith that they would help in whatever way they can. as a matter of fact I would fear for the safety of anyone who would try to stop either of them from applying their passions into assisting where they felt they needed to help.

I'm only taking it as an initial interest in where resources should be spent, no one's participation will be denied, nor will anyone be denied how they wish to help.

-Magistrate Larix

Master Draven,

I can make everything up to heavy plate. I believe my heaviest armor is ten pounds but weight is only a number. How heavy are you wanting?

I have extensive experience managing large groups of people, from running estates to an entire barony for a number of years. I would be happy to lend a hand with the administrative tasks.

-Polare Lissenstine

There are ... several inaccuracies on the detailed list, that I would suggest be overseen by someone before any decisions be made on whom is expected -- or, perhaps better put -- asked to do what.

There are ... several inaccuracies on the detailed list, that I would suggest be overseen by someone before any decisions be made on whom is expected -- or, perhaps better put -- asked to do what.
there's no expectation that this is where people will put their efforts, all I did was reflect back on the discussion and use it as a foundation for where we should focus efforts, and help me decide where to put the donations to best help the refugees. at the last gathering there was a huge amount of support for a desire to help, not all of those voices are reflected here. As for who is expected or asked to do what, that will be saved for another discussion, and likely done when more people are involved. Kreiger already has a start on that, and his insight will be invaluable.

There's a number of people who have already begun their support of the refugees and spending resources and time, some secret, some not so secret. I will need to meet with people, likely next gathering to assess what has already been done so we do not waste resources on redundant tasks, but maintain the anonymity of those who wish to keep their contributions private.

Perhaps I was unclear. Evidently, my words were taken that way, to say the least.

Not each of those represented in your data volunteered information on their ability nor a willingness to act upon such in either person or in this dream. Further, the areas in which individuals are purported to be capable of teaching others is equally inaccurate. While none can deny the ability and knowledge of, for example, the Knight-Dragoon, it would be a very bizarre day for him to be capable of teaching others the individual application of both warfare and either school of magic. Likewise, he is listed on nearly every possible item. This is just one example, as I know that others are incorrect.

Additionally, previous gatherings had agreed that the House whose entire function is structure would be taking the lead on these efforts -- and, specifically, the only individual to hold a position that could be viewed as leadership in the absence of a Dominus. If the Equitem of Light and Lies has moved this to you or someone else, I suspect that such would be a surprise to him and others alike. Plainly, while there are several individuals vying for lead-assistance in this matter, a meal is quickly brought to ruin with too many cooks presiding over the same dining experience.

Furthermore, the fact that I must reiterate this once again is appalling, but the majority of the fallen bodies belonging to the Savage Legion are dissipating. That means that their spirit is strong enough to resurrect, which surely means it is strong enough to project to a dreaming world -- and a foe that engages in the type of warfare as these most surely explores all avenues of intelligence possible. Broadcasting this information in such a open and painfully clumsy avenue will have nearly guaranteed every name stated, every location cited, and every effort coordinated to have been targeted for precision assaults by these foes.

Let me reiterate that more succinctly so that my words are not lost to swift confusion again:
Broadcasting your plans in such an open manner will get people killed.

Consider what information you have broadcast to a questionable audience without care for who may or may not hear your words when you hear that a refugee camp has been razed and its inhabitants slaughtered. Consider whose names you uttered when a series of traps are found, detonated, outside their home and their spirit found in a circle -- or worse. Consider what supply lines are likely cut off when you are asking of the crafted product of named individuals.

This is the enemy we face. It is intelligent, it is merciless, and it is cruel. It will engage in any and all forms of warfare to crush its foe and scatter their hope to the wind.

Eli does bring up a point regarding the Legion and their intelligence.

If we broadcast, as he put it, information that can be used to damage resources or otherwise hinder our efforts or those of others, we should expect the Legion to do so.

I do not wish targets being painted upon the backs who might otherwise have much good to contribute, due to a lack of discretion.

-Zeth

My apologies, I'll re-state in simpler terms:
If someone mentioned "it would be a good idea to do ____" I effectively took it as a "vote" that they thought that that topic was important. I made the list to be transparent and show my "work" as to how I came up with my decision(s) instead of "making things up" or being random or arbitrary. You are 100% correct it is not accurate, and the names listed DO NOT show who is capable of doing anything they have their name under, only that they said in this conversation that they thought it was important, they were interested in assisting, or that we may need to make something a priority.

As Magistrate a lot falls on my shoulders, mostly everything that does not fall under the preview of one of the houses, and until the refugees start swearing to houses, I need to fulfill my responsibilities to them. This also means I need to be involved with each of the Equitem on some level so that should an issue arise I am prepared, and can better communicate between the houseless and the houses. the responsibilities put on me were not meant to sit back and be a figurehead nor to just let others do my work for me. As a new magistrate I can use as much support as anyone is willing to provide, I can't do this by myself. things will be rough at the start, we have to expect that but after each mistake we will get stronger and learn from our mistakes. So Eli I thank you for your advice, and know your words did not fall on deaf ears.

[OOG: I thought the forums were a place to have in-game discussions with those we would not otherwise be able to have face-to-face conversations with (because not all of us live locally to each other), so we can "get stuff done" without having to be interrupted every hour by the next Savage army attack, or the latest piece of plot someone found on their mod that could not wait. SO if this is a place where NPC's can eavesdrop then my participation in this thread will end immediately, because I would not have said anything on this thread had I known that.]

[[OOG: You should ask plot, it seems to vary from chapter to chapter. I know with the last seattle campaign I was assured by plot nothing would be learned by NPCs that we discussed and we could use the forum for safe and private communications. ]]

(OOG: Plot has already responded to one Dreamscape this way, setting a precedent that we can, in fact, be heard. Or maybe Furio's just special. ;) )

[ OOC: There's plenty of IC forums. I'm, by no means, trying to squelch IC forum talk. ]

[[OOG: I should have said hostile NPCs, basically old seattle plot told me they wanted people to talk and plan. And would not use it against us. I am sure one of the current plot can clear this up so the discussion can resume or not.]]

Back