Ritual System Update Discussion!

Toddo said:
Then it becomes a game of "find Raz al Ghul's circle and pop it" rather than "kill him in the field 12 times." The first scenario is more fun to write and makes the kill more satisfying for the PCs. I'm ok with making it hard to perm bad guys as long as there is:
A: A way to actually perm them.
B: Opportunities for the PCs to gain that information if they are proactive and creative in their search.

Will bad guys be written who do this? Yes indeedy, but this is another opportunity to use the rules and the freedoms/restrictions provided by them to write deeper and more engaging stories, which is the entire reason I play.

-toddo

And I agree with that, I was more pointing out the potential for abuse.
--bill

That was discussed. The person has to want to sacrifice themselves. Not be told to do so. I remember coming up with some line to that effect during the discussion of this ritual, I just read through and its not there, so currently yes it could happen.

The intention was that basically bad guys could have one or two people fanatical enough to sacrifice themselves. But its unlikely, because the ritual ignores any sort of compulsion to do so, you cant go the enslavement/vampire charm route. Or we could just force PCs to sacrifice themselves to the bad guy they are trying to kill (yes I already considered that).

I second Steve's woah. When I was a new player, first hearing about the awesome powers for formal magic this was much more along the lines of what I envisioned.

Thank you everyone for all your hard work to make this happen.

Dan and Bill,

Just because a scroll exists in the IG world doesn't mean every dragon mage automatically has one, or even knows that the ritual exists.

Dragon mages can also walk into town and obliterate everyone. I wonder why that doesn't happen...

(Which leads me to my third point)

You guys are both plot writers, so you should support this one:

Cardinal rule - Trust your plot team.

ps. And love them, and name them George

Step 1.) Whoa

Step 2.) "Supercharged" Racial Transformation... into your own race. Biata could transform into Griffons for a day. MWEs turn into actual Fae. Twilight elves should be very worried about this... Humans... well they are probably transforming into another race anyway... :p

Step 3.) "Supercharged" Obliterate... for when you want your big bad to be killed with style.

Step 4.) Yes, supercharging is at the discretion of plot, and step 2 and 3 can just be a pipe dream. The fact that those ideas are even possible make me squee.

Step 5.) Elemental Burst (Ritual and High Magic): Thank you for fixing Hadoken and making it a valid strategy.

Step 6.) The flavor of this update is very good, and makes the concept of high level ritualist even more effective.

In closing... I am in awe of the consistency of this update. It is very well thought through and just as well written.

Cheers,
Mike

Deadlands said:
Dan and Bill,

Just because a scroll exists in the IG world doesn't mean every dragon mage automatically has one, or even knows that the ritual exists.

Dragon mages can also walk into town and obliterate everyone. I wonder why that doesn't happen...

(Which leads me to my third point)

You guys are both plot writers, so you should support this one:

Cardinal rule - Trust your plot team.

ps. And love them, and name them George

I do trust the plot teams where I play. I brought it up more as a general "lets all remember that we shouldn't abuse this" after the idea was presented to me by another. I know I won't, and i trust other won't, but I felt it was worth pointing out. Overall I very much like the rit, and if I wasn't forging to fighter in a month would likly end up casting it to save someone and end up perming as a result. :)
--bill

Poalo said:
Step 1.) Whoa

Step 2.) "Supercharged" Racial Transformation... into your own race. Biata could transform into Griffons for a day. MWEs turn into actual Fae. Twilight elves should be very worried about this... Humans... well they are probably transforming into another race anyway... :p

Step 3.) "Supercharged" Obliterate... for when you want your big bad to be killed with style.

Step 4.) Yes, supercharging is at the discretion of plot, and step 2 and 3 can just be a pipe dream. The fact that those ideas are even possible make me squee.

Step 5.) Elemental Burst (Ritual and High Magic): Thank you for fixing Hadoken and making it a valid strategy.

Step 6.) The flavor of this update is very good, and makes the concept of high level ritualist even more effective.

In closing... I am in awe of the consistency of this update. It is very well thought through and just as well written.

Cheers,
Mike

New character goal: Become a gryphon for a day.
--bill

Poalo said:

I would totally go for those.

Sunnfire said:
Poalo said:

Mike!!! Don't give him ideas!!!

Sunnfire said:
Poalo said:

I will make up a "bad moive anaconda" stat card for your supercharged snake kin just so I can watch you engulf the town one person at a time untill a politicaly correct array of survivors kills you.
--bill

Sunnfire said:
That would rule.

I will make sure I bring a snake fan girl to sacrifice for the death.

Well played, sir.
--bill

Sweet. Being a celestialist is now awesome again.

Would a supercharged audible projection also create a small visual hologram?

General NPC, Years ago, you served my Baron in the Plot Wars; now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the BBG.... I've placed information vital to the survival of the chapter into the memory systems of this golem.

It's 1:30 am and I'm sending myself to bed.

Also, the new antivampire standard is 28 ranks of formal... if you can't supercharge that max woe rit then we don't want you casting it :)

Its true. The supercharged version lets you tell the first vampire you see that he is nothing but a parasitic monster living off the vitality of the beautiful living things around them. The vampire will then go cry like an emo bitch in the corner for a minimum of one full length novel or movie.

So you DID playtest this Jesse! Shame on you.

Buuuuurn. (on that topic, elemental burst is nifty)

Yeah. I particularly like how its good, but better if you are celestialist that chooses to put skills into elemental face melting.

I think ya did it owner-folk. Celestial scholars no longer have to sit in the corner with the artisans.

Back