SCAVENGERS

hehehehehe strangely enough i don't wear my glasses at gaming weekends so my eyesight is pretty bad but i have an AWESOME set of ears and nostrils. but i originally chose the bat because i made a character for a table top game that was a bat/human mutant and i thought HEY I CAN PLAY HER FOR REAL (play) at NER...errr...ALLIANCE! The more I researched the more I thought ....UGH....I'm not a night person..but the advice I've received is awesome and i AM gonna try rodent ears!! too cool!!! thanks muchly

I know that Northfur makes a pretty awesome nose prosthetic for bats.

While I'm one of those people that 'hates the hairband' ears, with a vampire bat, it might be best to put your hair in front of your real ears, and construct something on the top of your head, given how huge Vampire bat ears really are compared to their head.

I was debating on a bat a while back, and one thing I thought of (that might help) is the wing structure being something that is similar to a flying squirrel; wherein you would have a thin (spandex type) material that stretches from the wrist of a long sleeve to the waist area of your shirt. You would just want to make sure it extends in all directions, so that your swing/throwing arm isnt inhibited. It also will be a packet catcher, but it will look really cool :)

As far as clothing goes, its also dependent on what kind of creature you're playing. For instance, some play Scavengers who are very 'human.' and have a tendency to wear lots of clothing.

My coyote is the exact opposite, so I run around in an under armor shirt (her 'fur') some pants, and a studded leather tabard thats belted. So it really comes down to how civilized you want the creature to be.

-Ali

-Ali

Yea costuming is largely dependant on what you want. For my dog I wear a white turtleneck and thin sweatpants to rep his fur, and then usually wear a regular pair of in period pants and a generic shirt over them.

Another player plays a Rhino scavvenger who was brought up in an asian-esque culture so he wears a hakama (sp?) and a chineese hat.

As for bats being nocturnal, just do what dark elves do...play in the daytime but bitch about the sun and seek shade and such.

Wilde_Night said:
Well, bats are flying rodents. So maybe find some rat/mouse ears and tweak them a little?

Actually, no they're not. It's a common nickname, but they're not rodents at all. Their teeth are closer to that of a ferret than a rodent. They are actually their own group under mammmals (and all the species of bats make up about 20% of mammals).

That aside, Woochie makes some fairly large "troll ears" that might work if painted properly.

Ezri said:
Wilde_Night said:
Well, bats are flying rodents. So maybe find some rat/mouse ears and tweak them a little?

Actually, no they're not. It's a common nickname, but they're not rodents at all. Their teeth are closer to that of a ferret than a rodent. They are actually their own group under mammmals (and all the species of bats make up about 20% of mammals).

That aside, Woochie makes some fairly large "troll ears" that might work if painted properly.

The remark was a joke. I guess no one remembers me well enough for that to come across. :(
But their ears are closer to a rodent's in shape and will be easier to find something to match the costume.

*Ferrets are giant rodents too! They are just cute so we classify them differently. ;)

Wilde_Night said:

For everyone! Bats are not rodents. Bats have little, sharp, canine teeth. Rodents have no canine teeth, only incisors and molars.

BATS

RATS

Oh, how quickly they forget. Susan, you used to have rats. :D

EDIT: Should have read further along before posting. *slaps forehead*

Jorundr said:
my favorite is the duckbill scavvy,

I already have my duck bill prosthetic for whenever I get around to my Platypus scavvie. Claws and Res. Element for racials. Either Rogue or Scou for class. I'll even be trying to see if I can get a foam boomerang (or woomera) to fly properly!

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
Okay I have a question.

I am researching the animal that I want to play as a scavenger. How close do I have to play my scavenger?
ie: if the animal only eats ___________________
do i have to role play out eating only _______________
or would there be differences? like can I eat other stuff ? heheheh

also the animal I want to play is primarily nocturnal but I go to bed at 12 midnight....would the scavenger version be different and sleep different hours or should I look to play something a little more like myself? heheh

I've played (or have planned) several scavvies. My most interesting is my vulture, Gyps, who is an Earth Scholar. To look at him, and thinking about vultures, many people thought he was a Necromancer. However, I tool the idea of scavenging corpses and the association with death and built a Vulture culture (ooh, that rhymes) that focuses on a deep understanding Life, remembering the life-deeds of those who have died, and is completely non-violent.

He won't even toss spells, only touch cast healing. He will have lenghty discussions about how violence is like Necrmancy in that it infects you in similar ways. He will never kill in order to eat. You never see me in the tavern for meals with this character. The only thing I eat in front of other PCs is jerky, or "old meat" as he calls it.

Taking an interesting angle on the lifestyle of the your real-world animal can really add to the role-play for your scavvie.

Jorundr said:
mmm Komodo or Gila monster scavengers.

my favorite is the duckbill scavvy, the Zebra Scavvy, the Whale Scavvy, Orca Scavvy, Killer whale scavvy, T-Rex Scavvy, V. Raptor scavvy, Stegasaurus Scavvy lol.

good times for all.

So they settled that "can or cannot play extinct animal scavvies" debate from the old boards?

my Tapeworm Scavvy is waiting in the wings for when my current crop of characters perm. Claws, Resist Poison, and endless fun sucking blood. "Vampire? No, I'm just an intestinal parasite. Now, if you'll excuse me..."

There is a whole.. er.. family of Panda Scavangers based in NJ.

I was thinking skunk scavy alchemist for a secondary, if I decide aginst Dark elf, and Pikey gypsy, or butterfly scavy(just for laughs). Im still trying to think of appropriate racials for the skunk.

I have met that whole Panda scavenger family of Tien Tein, Tai Shan, and Ling Ling and their canary scavenger baby sitter, Rora.

I miss that group.

the added laughter between battles.

I remember Mike your vulture scavenger!

He freaked me out OOG and my fox scavie IG.

Come to think of it, i've seen tons of scavengers at HQ events.

Ram
Rhino
Koala
Panda
Canary
Baboon
Dog
Coyote
Crow
Vulture

Jim

Agahi said:
I was thinking skunk scavy alchemist for a secondary, if I decide aginst Dark elf, and Pikey gypsy, or butterfly scavy(just for laughs). Im still trying to think of appropriate racials for the skunk.
I think racials for a skunk would be Claws and Resist Poison. Resist Poison is rather obvious with them harboring a particularly putrid oil they can tolerate and Claws for them having relatively powerful claws for their size that they use to dig shelters for winter.
Bonus information on skunks: extremely poor vision but a heightened sense of smell and hearing, gluttonous, they hiss and stamp when threatened before excreting their oil, only natural predator is the great horned owl, eats small insects, invertebrates, and sometimes scavenges off dead animals or garbage.

Telokh_Amdo said:
Jorundr said:

I already have my duck bill prosthetic for whenever I get around to my Platypus scavvie. Claws and Res. Element for racials. Either Rogue or Scou for class. I'll even be trying to see if I can get a foam boomerang (or woomera) to fly properly!

The claws, I can certainly see that ... but Resist Element? - I am not sure I can see that.

Seth / Ondreij Asclepius

Telokh_Amdo said:
I've played (or have planned) several scavvies. My most interesting is my vulture, Gyps, who is an Earth Scholar.
----%<--clip---%<---
Taking an interesting angle on the lifestyle of the your real-world animal can really add to the role-play for your scavvie.

Not only is the costuming for your Vulture Scavenger awesome, but your RP of Gyps is also awesome. You thought it out and play it well ... and Gyps really adds texture to the game. This is a great example of taking some neat real world info on vultures and twisting it just right for the IG world of Alliance games.

Telokh_Amdo said:
Jorundr said:

I really think that claws and resist poison would be more fitting as the Paltypus has poisoned barbs on the back legs. Thus needing to be resistant to the poison themselves to avoid self inflicted wounds.

Back