[.11] Time to Get a New Life

If we move in the direction of making a potion-able Life spell, I like the idea of it having higher requirements than normal. Plus, makes it a special thing that artisans can do (since I imagine most PCs don't have 20+ ranks in a craftsman)!

If you make it Artisan-only, that would be really weird, because our system has never promoted Artisans over any other crafter in terms of individual crafting skill (just the best discounts for all craft skills).

I don’t care if Life potions are weirdly more expensive than other spells, but making them have incredibly difficult requirements is pretty much the opposite of what I’m trying to accomplish.

Not every chapter has an active Artisan, much less enough to base a valuable resource on. If you want to require 50 PP, sure, okay.

Also, adding a necromantic alternative that results in execution is not going to result in saving the lives of new characters. It will result in their characters being ostracized and potentially unplayable.

Being boned is sort of the point though. That’s what should happen if you lose big enough. Being able to be saved has been cheapened by the abundance of life spells. People use it to correct status effects when a purify can’t be found. That’s staggering.

I can easily see why everyone is worried. It’s justified. Yet there are more ways to heal now and more safeguards against weakening your spirit should the worst happen. The mentality in a setting where life is rare is almost automatic if you understand the damager you can be in. It makes everything so much more real and important. I could be wrong and everyone will hate it but I encourage people to try it on the play test. Really look at what you now need to do to ensure everyone stays alive. It’s incredible.

Again I’m not saying “let’s be hard core”. The plot/world needs to treat death effects with just as much importance. Especially when death can happen just fine without a single death effect hitting the field.

If it’s tested and people hate it forever with no chance of trying it further I’ll be right in here figuring out the next thing like expensive life potions or something.

There's alresal a necromancy option! Create undead! Pauses their death timer, and give the order to walk into town and get a life spell.

And sorry if I made it seem like I meant for artisans only. Meant it would be easier for them to obtain

Another reason to object to this is the fact that people carry around in their pocket umpteen life spells. 2.0 was being designed to promote teamwork (not global, but at least small teams), and help rid the excess bloat of magical effects carried in the pocket. And honestly, Life spells we're the big culprit of this.

I don't think changing the 2.0 rules because of a 1.3 culture is the right path. We haven't even been able to see the effects of 2.0 so we don't know the culture. With the insane amount of healing available now, we might not need life's all that often.

In 1.3, Life costs either a Spell Slot, or Ritual stuff (really expensive, limited supply). I feel Life as a Potion would make it even more prevalent than it currently is in 1.3. Especially since Potions do not expire.

In Seattle, where you can GS an Expanded Enchantment, there are so many activatable Life items. So many. Limited supply? Every group has a bunch. Every group.

Put another way, remember that 10-Ever Life item that went to a low-level group because everyone wanted them to have it? That won't happen in the .11 world. That item goes for massive gold, and new characters wouldn't ever be anywhere near the running.

I admit that I don’t know the culture very well as I tend to be separate from the town for the most part, but a 10/ever life item going to a low level group sounds very foreign to me.

That 10 ever life item went to New players because it was a times ever item. Don't think it would have gone to them if it was 10 times a day for a year item. Same goes for potions. They would be bought up asap and inflation would grow from that.

That 10 ever life item went to New players because it was a times ever item. Don't think it would have gone to them if it was 10 times a day for a year item. Same goes for potions. They would be bought up asap and inflation would grow from that.

Regarding the first point, maybe? Currently, Life is very prevalent in Seattle, due to the amount of Expanded Enchantments. In 2.0, anything with an activatable Life will probably get the same attention as anything with an activatable Dodge in 1.3. Namely, it'll go for tons of cash, and there'll be no mercy.

As for your point about potions, I don't really understand if that's a concern or not. I'm okay with an economy centered around potions instead of one centered around rituals, personally.

I feel like placing a high pp value on it would be good, but to grab onto something that someone else said about needing multiple craft skills is a cool idea, but maybe have it so that if journeyman in potions and alchemy is needed, then an alchemist and a potion maker can work together to make it? It would mean that people who aren’t artisans can still make it while still giving artisans a nice bit of being able to make it on their own? But that could also be adding unnecessary complexity. I feel like it should be kept as an idea and after 2.0 goes live, if not having life’s is an issue, then this can be revisited.

Regarding the first point, maybe? Currently, Life is very prevalent in Seattle, due to the amount of Expanded Enchantments. In 2.0, anything with an activatable Life will probably get the same attention as anything with an activatable Dodge in 1.3. Namely, it'll go for tons of cash, and there'll be no mercy.

As for your point about potions, I don't really understand if that's a concern or not. I'm okay with an economy centered around potions instead of one centered around rituals, personally.

The reason it's a concern is that those production get bought up fast and expensively so new players are still without. It doesn't change the fact that they won't have access to it.

The reason it's a concern is that those production get bought up fast and expensively so new players are still without. It doesn't change the fact that they won't have access to it.

I mean, that could be true in chapters where the culture is so absolutely pro-haves that new players are boned, but realistically, that’s not actually a reason not to make the resource more available.

Our game has resources. That’s always going to be a thing. If culture is going to dictate that new characters won’t have resources, I can’t fix that with rules.

But making the resource more abundant will make it more likely that they’ll be shared. Obviously, that’s not a guarantee, but from the people talking on this thread, no chapter has been described as being that awful.

All this talk reminds me of the first 3 years I played Nero. Only life spells in town was an npc that was randomly around. I had 2 deaths on characters from bleeding out and just not having life spells around. Death spells or being on the ground for a minute where a trip the circle unless you where super lucky.

That said I am not keen to go back to those times. And I do think Life Hording will become a thing. I have stepped over peoples body's to life my friends in the past when I was one of 3 pcs with life spells. Feels bad, but your friends are your friends after all.

I think you guys are looking at this in a vacuum of life spells and being dead. There will be 225 points of healing in a column vs the current 67. That's 3x the current body. With the addition of extra body (Hardy) and extra armor (62 max), trust in your plot teams they won't come out just slinging deaths/corrupts at everyone. They do so now because magic item bloat is a thing. Cloaks and banes are a thing. All those protectives (which will still be things) are a thing. I think life isn't going to be as needed.

Adding a production version reverses the team work we are trying to encourage with 2.0. "Who has a life? I have 75 life potions. I think we are good with just spellswords and fighters, thanks scholars." How is that any different than it is now? Don't take the capstone's away from Earth Scholars. Otherwise we should add in a prison poison or prison trap globe. (Obviously not a good idea)

To be fair, there are dispel scrolls, which cure prison.

There are no anti death potions.

In Seattle, where you can GS an Expanded Enchantment, there are so many activatable Life items. So many. Limited supply? Every group has a bunch. Every group.

Put another way, remember that 10-Ever Life item that went to a low-level group because everyone wanted them to have it? That won't happen in the .11 world. That item goes for massive gold, and new characters wouldn't ever be anywhere near the running.

That sounds more like rationale to remove Expanded Enchantment from the Goblin Stamp list (or exclude 9th level spells from the available options on Goblin Stamp versions of EE).

Expanded Enchantment is going away altogether in 2.0.

That sounds more like rationale to remove Expanded Enchantment from the Goblin Stamp list (or exclude 9th level spells from the available options on Goblin Stamp versions of EE).

Negative, because I didn’t infer that a plethora of Life spells are bad for the game.

In fact....I have a fairly substantive history of posts saying that resources that don’t pressure Earth casters into memorizing Life purely due to its rarity is a good thing.

Back