Worthless Bits of Information We Like to Share

((i've seen a few of the games of quidditch and although unfortunately they can't fly it is VERY amusing!))

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
((i've seen a few of the games of quidditch and although unfortunately they can't fly it is VERY amusing!))

I don't know anything about fantasy sports leagues (the ones where you "draft" your own team from real sports) but I've wondered what the draw would be if Quidditch could be simulated somehow with statistics from real sports seasons. I could go for something like that.

Quiddich is also played at Hamilton College (my school). The idea was started at Middlebury college - there's a complicated rules set and the game happens in a gym or field on campus where the teams play, and meanwhile the two seekers search for the Snitch (represented by someone running around) all over campus.

twizlers makes orange and lemon flavored licorice ropes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
twizlers makes orange and lemon flavored licorice ropes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've always found it interesting when a word gets expanded beyond its meaning. Licorice is a flavor and now means any of the types of treats made that are similar to it.

Others like this: Lozenge - a diamond shape (originally from heraldry?), used for the first commerically available cough drops and now used as a general term for all throat drops. Kleenex - a specific brand of facial tissue, used as a catch-all for any facial tissue.

Similar effect: Horror and Terror both refer to feeling fear. However, when turned into adjectives "terrific" is positive and "horrific" is negative.

actually...licorice isn't a flavor...anise is...anise is the flavor of black licorice...isn't it?

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS CONTROVERSIAL INFORMATION
Fearless Leader said:
Unicorns are mentioned in the Bible nine times.

This may be true of the King James version ...

I just got finished doing an electronic search of a 1917 Hebrew/Aramaic to English translation of TaNaKh (an acronym for the Jewish Bible) which includes the chapters and versus listed later on in this thread, and the word UNICORN does not appear anywhere in the English tranlation.

There are many incorrect translations of the Bible used by other religious groups. The 1917 translation is considered to be one of the most reliable translations, being translated directly from the original text used for just about two thousand years by my people.

For example, Michelangelo scuplted a Moses with horns because the text of his time and day translated the word for AURA as HORNS (and Moshe had light eminating from his head -and not- and Moses had horns coming from his head).

So, the Unicorn is STILL a mythical animal ... except for those who belive in the literal truth of a badly mistranslated text.

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
Numbers 23:22
God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn.

Deuteronomy 33:17
His glory is like the firstling of his bullock, and his horns are like the horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the thousands of Manasseh.

Job 39:9
Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?

Job 39:10
Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?

Psalm 22:21
Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.

Psalm 29:6
He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.

Psalm 92:10
But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.

Isaiah 34:7
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.

Numbers 23:22 should be translated as:
22 God who brought them forth out of Egypt is for them like the lofty horns of the wild-ox.

Deuteronomy 33:17 should be translated as:
17 His firstling bullock, majesty is his; and his horns are the horns of the wild-ox; with them he shall gore the peoples all of them, even the ends of the earth; and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the thousands of Manasseh.

Job 39:9 should be translated as:
9 Will the wild-ox be willing to serve thee? Or will he abide by thy crib?

So...it seems fairly obvious that the word as it was originally set down in the Aramaic/Hebrew version shoud be translated as WILD-OX, and not UNICORN.

The same kind of thing was done to the poor serpent in Genesis ... where the original word should be translated as UNHOLY or UNCLEAN and not EVIL or SINFUL. The serpent did tempt Eve into sin, but she should not have trusted that which was unholy, but as she did not have the knowledge of good and evil, she was unable to make a choice. By eating of the forbidden fruit in the center of the Garden of Eden, her eyes where opened, and now that she (and, eventually ADAM -- which is not his name, but simply means THE MAN) had the knowledge whe was able to make the decision for G*D made man and woman in HER own image, with the ability to make decisions, to make mistakes, to excercise free will. But, without the knowledge of good and evil was unable to make an informed decision. Thus could no longer live in the GARDEN with the rest of the animals who where unable to choose.

So, the mistranslation of a single word or phrase brings about a cascade of perceptions that lead one to a totally different perception of the text and to a wholly different assumption about Man's condition on Earth.

In Adam's fall we all sinned: original sin. This is not a Jewish concept because we see the text as explanatory, and not defamatory.

An animal called the Re’em (Hebrew: רְאֵם‎) is mentioned in several places in the Hebrew Bible, often as a metaphor representing strength. "The allusions to the re'em as a wild, un-tamable animal of great strength and agility, with mighty horn or horns (Job 39:9-12, Ps 22:21, 29:6, Num 23:22, 24:8, Deut 33:17 comp. Ps 92:11), best fit the aurochs (Bos primigenius). This view is supported by the Assyrian rimu, which is often used as a metaphor of strength, and is depicted as a powerful, fierce, wild mountain bull with large horns."[3] This animal was often depicted in ancient Mesopotamian art in profile, with only one horn visible.

The translators of the Authorized King James Version of the Bible (1611) employed unicorn to translate re'em, providing a recognizable animal that was proverbial for its un-tamable nature.

Job 39:9-12: Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib? Canst thou bind the unicorn with band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee? Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great? or wilt thou leave thy labour to him? Wilt thou believe him, that he will bring home thy seed, and gather it into thy barn?
Psalms 29:6: He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.
Numbers 24:8: ...he hath as it were the strength of a unicorn

===========================================
In consequence of the continual disputes over printing privileges, successive printings of the Authorized Version were notably less careful than the 1611 edition had been – compositors freely varying spelling, capitalisation and punctuation;[53] and also, over the years, introducing about 1,500 misprints (some of which, like the omission of "not" from the commandment "Thou shalt not commit adultery" in the "Wicked Bible" (1631, Herbert #444)), became notorious.

OOPS!!!

this is getting far too serious. still funny, though.

the downfall to language (and especially interpretation/translation) is the way we associate word to meaning. No two people think of something the same way, so when we try and force a meaning on something, we can change it to someone else, who then changes the meaning again when they try to explain it to a third party.

oh, and "Apiphobia" means "fear of bees." Let's see if we can get a Hunt member to remember that term...

Anatidaephobia — fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

Dracula can walk around in the sunlight without any problem.

(Seriously -- in the original novel by Bram Stoker, he was seen in the daytime, and in the recent film by Coppola, you see him in the daytime too)

Back