Wylderkin racial choices

Just because gypsy moth is in the name to me, in my opinion, doesn't justify gypsy curse

I can't think of a real animal right now though I'm sure there is more like the gypsy moth but if a species of mouse is called a "poison dart mouse" because it has the coloring of a poison dart frog doesn't justify resist poison if it doesn't emit or resist real world poisons. A gypsy moth is just, well an appearance not an attribute. So by logic, if I dressed Zimps up like a gypsy, she can justify gypsy curse?

I know its a "build your own" but it breaks the game if basically we can use personalities, back stories, species names, and attributes to justify all of our racials.

Agreed. Nowhere else in the system do you have to justify your build expenditures to any given plot team, same should go for Kin.

Is there where I note again that Gypsy and Barbarian should just be Humans with culture packs? :p

Well I believe barbarians should have some sort of prosthetic added because right now its a human wearing clothes. And with hats and hair I can't tell if someone is a human, barbarian, and sometimes wild elf. Makes it harder for panthergast npcs in my opinion

Just because gypsy moth is in the name to me, in my opinion, doesn't justify gypsy curse

I can't think of a real animal right now though I'm sure there is more like the gypsy moth but if a species of mouse is called a "poison dart mouse" because it has the coloring of a poison dart frog doesn't justify resist poison if it doesn't emit or resist real world poisons. A gypsy moth is just, well an appearance not an attribute. So by logic, if I dressed Zimps up like a gypsy, she can justify gypsy curse?

I know its a "build your own" but it breaks the game if basically we can use personalities, back stories, species names, and attributes to justify all of our racials.

It's a fantasy game. We don't have anything -else- to justify them with... and frankly we shouldn't need to justify them in the first place.

Submit to Plot a background justification for every build expenditure on your character. Forever.

This so much. We live in a world where magic is a thing. So having to justify things like kyn abilities seems a bit silly.
It's a fantasy game. We don't have anything -else- to justify them with... and frankly we shouldn't need to justify them in the first place.

Not only is this a fantasy world, but it's a blatant customer service issue.

NewPlayer wants to make a Rabbitkyn. He likes the idea that maybe his Rabbitkyn could have grown up in a really cold place, like an Arctic Rabbitkyn. So he wants Resist Element.

He submits it to Plot. Plot is made up of human beings, and they think his idea is stupid. They say no. They word their reply like, "Sorry, your idea doesn't work in our world."

NewPlayer is now embarrassed. He just wanted to play this cool game, but now he's not sure. He might just choose to stay home that weekend, instead of going to a game where people probably think "Oh, that's the guy with the weird Rabbitkyn idea."

If that seems like a stretch or strawman argument, think again. The Kyn Plot-approval is the only time we require players to have their character concepts judged ahead of time, because backgrounds are straight-up optional for all other races. Add that requirement of being judged to someone who might be completely foreign to our community, and you turn "shy player" into "intimidated player."

Not only is this a fantasy world, but it's a blatant customer service issue."

I think it's even worse if that player gets approved and then tries to travel, and runs into problems. If the list lets you pick you should be able to pick any choices. I'd be fine with letting some choices I didn't agree with slipping through for not having to get plot approval, worry that I choose wrong, etc. You can only buy Resist Magic once. My elf has 10 resist commands, making me effectively immune to command. While 1 resist magic and 1 dodge would be a sweet combo, so are 10 resist commands, 10 resist poisons, etc.

I haven't seen anyone picking Wildkyn as a race because they wanted that combo. Wearing all that make up all weekend, a mask, wings, a tail, etc. It's not easy. And likely not worth it. Most people who pick Wildkyn just have an idea for the type of character they want to play. Why not let people have the most fun and not worry about someone picking a combo you don't approve of? 2 extra spell defenses on a day on a full makeup character certainly wouldn't break any game here in the midwest.

Last edited:
I could probably write an excuse/story for a Kin that has whatever combo you want.

Issue I have is, with some who pick their Kin style first, commonly I see that there is like 1 that fits - and nothing else. I had that issue with my kin, and just randomly took Slay and validated it by my Kin type. Wish I took proficiency in the end, given I may never buy slays.

Bottom line is, it really doesn't matter all that much on the combo of whatever skill with whatever skill - what matters is the story of the Kin. Give em 5 Resist magics for all it matters. If they roleplay and costume the hell outta the Kin, thats all that freakin matters for good gaming. If they lazy it up on the costume and roleplay*, poof em into a human.

The atmosphere is the most important, and that should come first. *jumps off soapbox*

*Many Kin I've seen locally do a subtle roleplay of their Kin. Not everything is overt.

I could probably write an excuse/story for a Kin that has whatever combo you want.

Issue I have is, with some who pick their Kin style first, commonly I see that there is like 1 that fits - and nothing else. I had that issue with my kin, and just randomly took Slay and validated it by my Kin type. Wish I took proficiency in the end, given I may never buy slays.

Bottom line is, it really doesn't matter all that much on the combo of whatever skill with whatever skill - what matters is the story of the Kin. Give em 5 Resist magics for all it matters. If they roleplay and costume the hell outta the Kin, thats all that freakin matters for good gaming. If they lazy it up on the costume and roleplay*, poof em into a human.

The atmosphere is the most important, and that should come first. *jumps off soapbox*

*Many Kin I've seen locally do a subtle roleplay of their Kin. Not everything is overt.

Yeah but sadly people play humans with ears and a black nose and they get two abilities. I approve everything you said

I have been corrected. A plot committee can require that you alter your character before visiting their chapter if they consider the choices you made unreasonable. Still, until this actually happens to someone, it is entirely theoretical. Plot teams can do lots of unreasonable things legitimately, but we trust them not to.

-MS

Last edited:
Yeah but sadly people play humans with ears and a black nose and they get two abilities. I approve everything you said

A lot of chapters have racial marshals. If the makeup isn't something you think is right, or you think a person playing a race isn't doing something correctly, I'd encourage you to talk to a marshal or plot about it. Proper makeup and playing a race correctly, is a whole other issue.

Despite this unfortunate rule, I still stand by racials being approved by plot teams. Any reasonable plot team should be willing to work WITH a player to come to a reasonable decision on racials, based both on the wants of the player and based on the standards of the game. If the team isn't willing to work with the player that way, I'd say there is a much bigger problem at that chapter than just the implementation of this rule.

Part of the reason I stand by this rule is because every other race has received the same scrutiny. Elves don't just resist command because it is balanced, but because it is considered to be appropriate in terms of story for the race. The same is true for dwarves and resisting poison. It is reasonable to require that players work with the plot team to develop that story for sub-race of Wilderkyn they are inventing.

-MS

Mike,

Using your argument, should we allow Plot teams to approve racial modifications for other races for their chapter, if their LCO origins are "special?" Why couldn't Arctic Elves have resist element instead of resist command? Why couldn't Barbarians have incredible will and rebellious natures in another chapter, thus allowing Resist Command? As examples.

I have been corrected. A plot committee can require that you alter your character before visiting their chapter if they consider the choices you made unreasonable. Still, until this actually happens to someone, it is entirely theoretical. Plot teams can do lots of unreasonable things legitimately, but we trust them not to.

-MS

Mike, is this the case? As far as I was aware, I thought characters travelling like this were an all or nothing affair specifically to avoid characters who have different character sheets depending on what chapter they happen to be in at the moment.

Mike, is this the case? As far as I was aware, I thought characters travelling like this were an all or nothing affair specifically to avoid characters who have different character sheets depending on what chapter they happen to be in at the moment.

Per the ARB:

There are limitations: The racial skills must
be announced and placed in the character database
at the time the character is created, and
the skills must make sense based on the type of
wylderkin being played. For example, a monkey
wylderkin may wish to purchase a Racial
Dodge; a snake wylderkin a Resist Poison; an
owl wylderkin a Resist Command; a polar bear
wylderkin a Resist Element.

This choice can be vetoed by your game’s
Plot Committee if it is inappropriate, and other
Alliance games have the right to refuse your
character’s skills if they are not reasonable.

Draven :

Yes, I'm aware. However, my point was more that much like how we don't allow people to bring characters above a chapter's level cap in by cutting their experience level down for that game, as far as I'm aware the process for a chapter disagreeing with racial abilities is an all or nothing deal. The character is either approved for the game, or not, without an option to modify the character sheet just for that game.

I can totally justify Resist magic. When I visit my brothers home I throw packets at his dog. He Dodges out of the way (Dodge) and when he gets hit with any thing I throw it doesn't effect him. Dogkin, Resist magic and Dodge. ;)

Back