Corrupt - Is this ready for use?

Is the version of Corrupt presented in 0.9 balanced and prepared for use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But most of the "ensure res" scenarios that have been mentioned already exist by using Death / Killing Blow plus Create Undead.

-MS

Hardly the same. There are alot more visual indicators someone has been created undead then corrupted. They can be told to act normal, they can still talk. As a zombie they cant run, as a corrupt they can so alot easier to get them to sprint off the battle field away from help.

It would be useful if there was language included to cover what happens when multiple Corrupt effects are taken on a single target. Can it be re-cast on a current victim? (It says it can be cast on a Dead body, so I would conclude yes.) If so, does the 10 minute timer reset? Does it also give a full heal with each subsequent casting? In other words, could bad guy cast this on themselves, get hit a lot, then cast another on themselves for a full heal?

Given the text states that it cannot be extended by any means, I would say 'No Effect' would be the correct call to multiple Corrupt applications.

Given the text states that it cannot be extended by any means, I would say 'No Effect' would be the correct call to multiple Corrupt applications.

No, I believe that refers to that specific casting of corrupt, like cant be extend battle magic or such. Refreshing it is not extending that casting of it.

Create Undead has the same wording for instance.

I would agree, but in my mind, 'resetting the timer on an effect with a new timer and new effect' and 'extending the duration of an existing effect without re-casting the effect' are two different things.

Think of it this way. If you get hit by Paralysis, it counts down. If you get hit again, it is considered a 'new' Paralysis and your timer resets with the new effect, you aren't 'extending' the old one, you're replacing it with a new effect (that happens to match the one that was just on the target).

Last edited:
Just as a note, if you cast Corrupt on yourself, while you were alive, you would immediately stop doing anything. You are under control of the caster, who now has absolutely no memory of the caster's life. As such, the caster can't give you orders. You have absolutely no motivations or concept of what is happening. I guess it is possible you might wander off randomly, but you certainly wouldn't continue trying to engage in whatever evil you were trying to engage in before.

-MS

Greater undead. You may have no given motivations, but you're intelligent, based on being greater. No instructions means you have essentially free will, unless it says otherwise somewhere. That aside...I corrupt my buddy, he corrupts me. We just need to track our timers and give each other the cue to life each other when we get down to the wire. Instant mini-golems. We're immune to life/death/metab/etc. Not a lot of PCs will do this, admittedly, but it's a very valid tactic for NPCs who really don't want to get gassed down by PCs.

Last edited:
Just as a note, if you cast Corrupt on yourself, while you were alive, you would immediately stop doing anything.

I do not come to this same conclusion. Please explain. Or cite a source/post from the rule writer that explains how this works.

No, I believe that refers to that specific casting of corrupt, like cant be extend battle magic or such. Refreshing it is not extending that casting of it.

Create Undead has the same wording for instance.

I would agree, but in my mind, 'resetting the timer on an effect with a new timer and new effect' and 'extending the duration of an existing effect without re-casting the effect' are two different things.

Think of it this way. If you get hit by Paralysis, it counts down. If you get hit again, it is considered a 'new' Paralysis and your timer resets with the new effect, you aren't 'extending' the old one, you're replacing it with a new effect (that happens to match the one that was just on the target).

This would open up the door to taking "partial" effects, and not necessarily in the order-of-operations, as Corrupt (As I read it, anyways) Kills You, Raises You, Heals You in one go.

Just as a note, if you cast Corrupt on yourself, while you were alive, you would immediately stop doing anything. You are under control of the caster, who now has absolutely no memory of the caster's life. As such, the caster can't give you orders. You have absolutely no motivations or concept of what is happening. I guess it is possible you might wander off randomly, but you certainly wouldn't continue trying to engage in whatever evil you were trying to engage in before.

-MS

It would be great if you would stop stating your guesses about stuff as facts. No where is this stated in the rules, or maybe it is with the section in the rule book that discourages Pvp?

This would open up the door to taking "partial" effects, and not necessarily in the order-of-operations, as Corrupt (As I read it, anyways) Kills You, Raises You, Heals You in one go.

I am not following your line of logic on this one, You are taking the full effect again. You are corrupted, you get hit with a corrupt. You die, it raises you, and heals you. (Timer starts)

It says it can be cast on a dead body. So killing you isn't necessarily required if you're already dead, as a dead body would be. Aren't you technically a walking dead body?

I am not following your line of logic on this one, You are taking the full effect again. You are corrupted, you get hit with a corrupt. You die, it raises you, and heals you. (Timer starts)

Can't take a full effect if you're already Corrupt'd (and thus undead). You would need to be killed, then have it cast again.

It says it can be cast on a dead body. So killing you isn't necessarily required if you're already dead.

Unless I've missed something in codifying Undead as Basically-Dead or Essentially-Dead, I don't believe that's correct. Is this something that keeping the Gift category intact would resolve, as undead aren't effected by Gift (currently), and keeps the stages of existence apart? As rules-revisions haven't been released as full rule sets, however, its difficult to say conclusively, I feel.

It is Chaos/Necromancy, however its a multi-effect Spell.

Kill -> Raise -> Heal

Another reason why this isn't complete or even well designed.

I agree that the spell is not easy to understand how it works, but I dont see why it would not kill undead, raise, heal them?

It does need to be better explained.

"Because Necromancy doesn't kill Undead" is the only thing I can come up with. I'm curious how this would interact with someone under the effects of a Reverse Life Force now, however.

In my opinion, for all intents and purposes, you're a walking dead body with magic cast on you to animate you. I don't think this is necessarily without precedent.

Corrupt (As I read it, anyways) Kills You, Raises You, Heals You in one go.

See, that is what is confusing because it says it can be cast on a dead body. I feel that negates the line of thinking that you have to take it all or none of it.

See, that is what is confusing because it says it can be cast on a dead body. I feel that negates the line of thinking that you have to take it all or none of it.

If you ignore the 2nd stage of being raised, sure. :)

I am told undead is not a living or dead state, making someone currently corrupted not a legal target for corrupt.

Which makes sense. I just didnt realize Undead was not considered Dead. I guess the Un part should have been a clue.

Back