[.10] - Relics impressions

I guess? The 1.3 ARB has <Type> Guard, which could in theory be on a Monster with a Spell Shield ... so it makes sense to me it would be victim's choice.

man-shrugs-shoulders-picture-id124579998

Sounds like an ARC question!

Found it.

https://alliancelarp.com/forum/threads/type-guard-clarifications.11615/

Guard is intended to act like a "dumb Resist" in that it must be used when an applicable Resist could have been used, and instead of any applicable Resists. Thus, it will go off after other defenses that prevent Resists from being used, but must be used before any applicable Resists can be used.

Thus:

1. No, because it states "first applicable attack that would affect the creature". If it doesn't get to the creature (due to cloak/dodge/parry/spell shield/ something else that stops it before it could be Resisted), the Guard doesn't go off.
2a. It must go off before applicable Resists.
2b. It goes off after spell protectives.
2c. It cannot be touch cast through.
3a. It is intended to act like a "dumb Resist" in that it must be used when an applicable Resist could have been used, and instead of any applicable Resists.
3b. Supercedes Resist.
4. No, it does not work when you're dead.

-Bryan Gregory
ARC

So what happens if someone gets hit with a poisoned weapon while they have both a Magic Armor and Poison Shield, Seth?

>.>

There is never a situation that I can think of where two dumb defenses go off from a single attack.

This sounds like a culture problem (maybe with alliance as a whole) more than anything else.
But to move the conversation forward, if tying life to relics is not a step to fix this problem (freeing up 9th slot) combined with healers resolve (frees up other spell slots), what is the fix?

A culture issue that's being reinforced by the design expectations in this playtest.

Thanks for the information.

So, between the Owners and the Public, it seems like the targets for Relics are:
  • Requirement: No duplication of Wands with damage or healing
  • Requirement: Something new and novel
  • Requirement: Be in-line with Earth Magic Paradigm
  • Requirement: Be useful in combat
  • Option: Useful against Undead
Given those parameters, here is my (notional and probably over-complicated) suggestion:
  • Create a new item, Relics, that provide 1 charge per 3xp invested in Earth Magic Skills
  • Relics come in 4 Types: Order, Chaos, Life, Death
  • Charges may be used for:
    • Order Relic:
      • 1 Charge - Elemental Chaos Guard via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Turn Undead
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Sanctuary via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 5 Charges - Elemental Cure Disease
      • 10 Charges - Elemental Destroy Undead
    • Chaos Relic:
      • 1 Charge - Elemental Healing Guard via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Control Undead
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Desecrate via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 5 Charges - Elemental Disease
      • 10 Charges - Elemental Corrupt
    • Life Relic:
      • 1 Charge - 1 Elemental Healing via Touchcast by 10-count (i.e. 10 second First Aid, terrible for healing that 100 Body Fighter)
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Antidote
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Cleanse via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 5 Charges - Elemental Restore
      • 10 Charges - Elemental Life
    • Death Relic:
      • 1 Charge - Elemental Endow via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Weakness
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Shatter via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 5 Charges - Elemental Silence
      • 10 Charges - Elemental Destruction

Oh man, I like this a lot. Nay, love it. This would be really cool and provide a lot of different types of flavor for the earth casters. This is something that would make me consider going to an earth adept over celestial (since wands are meh to me...I'd rather swing my backstab damage over using a pea-shooter wand).

Although I'm curious, why Elemental Destruction over Elemental Death?

It's different, it's exciting, it provides options, and it doesn't pigeon-hole the earth casters as heal bots.

Oh man, I like this a lot. Nay, love it. This would be really cool and provide a lot of different types of flavor for the earth casters. This is something that would make me consider going to an earth adept over celestial (since wands are meh to me...I'd rather swing my backstab damage over using a pea-shooter wand).

Way too powerful, I suspect. He also originally put in Elemental Paralysis and replaced it with Silence.

Wow, barely any Celestial...and almost no rogues :(

SOMEONE LOVE THE ROGUES.

I could rant, but that's another thread. Suffice it to say I've spent the last two years getting together a Spirit Forge set to get out of Rogue and -especially- out of Ledegerdemain and Create Trap.

I like Destruction over Death, honestly. It gives E Casters the ability to fight alongside of their buddies, their buddies benefit from double-damager, and the Earth Caster is in the fray. It negatively affects the victim, but it doesn't KO them; they get to keep fighting. That's the best kind of spell, IMO. Everyone gets to have fun.

It's different, it's exciting, it provides options, and it doesn't pigeon-hole the earth casters as heal bots.

Way too powerful, I suspect. He also originally put in Elemental Paralysis and replaced it with Silence.

Yep. I figured extra (effectively free) Elemental Death would be considered too potent.

Think Delivery, not Effect.

Magic Armor goes off, but not Spell Shield.

....But what about the Poison Shield, Adam? :p

Magic Armor.

Poison Shield specifically says it doesn't protect against Weapon Coatings, among other things..

Oh. Well.

Man, I didn't see that. I think that's weird, but I guess that's the ARB for you.

I could rant, but that's another thread. Suffice it to say I've spent the last two years getting together a Spirit Forge set to get out of Rogue and -especially- out of Ledegerdemain and Create Trap.

Well, Fighters and Earth casters have gotten some love this packet. Maybe we're next! (I can dream)

I was considering dropping ledgerdemain because I don't have the most nimble of fingers...but traps are showing up more and more in Calgary (and there are a few that I can successfully disable)

-

Last edited:
Well, Fighters and Earth casters have gotten some love this packet. Maybe we're next! (I can dream)

Alchemists qualify for Dodges with purchases of Alchemy, and Elemental Traps are pretty great. That's not terrible, though it's not the best, either.

I'm not sure Fighters have gotten the love they need. >.>

Alchemists qualify for Dodges with purchases of Alchemy, and Elemental Traps are pretty great. That's not terrible, though it's not the best, either.

I'm not sure Fighters have gotten the love they need. >.>

"Some" was the key word in that sentence, haha.

I was considering dropping ledgerdemain because I don't have the most nimble of fingers...but traps are showing up more and more in Calgary (and there are a few that I can successfully disable)

I've used Ledgerdemain twice in the last few years, both of which were cool plot things. I've been really hesitant to start using traps effectively because I have concerns about the game not being very fun if it turns into an Iraq-style case of needing to operate like an EoD tech. Could be PTSD triggering in a very bad way for some of my fellow players to have to be constantly worried about things exploding and destroying all their worldly goods if they touch anything wrong.

I'd be curious to know the Magic Item distribution between classes. Do the Fighters get the majority of Magic Items? Do Scholars? Is it even?

That’s a bit harder of a statistic to provide. Unfortunately there are substantial in game social, cultural, and economic factors, as well as out of game donation, travel, staff, etc. factors that ultimately contribute towards what that resulting final distribution looks like. For example, some folks who have what they consider to be “enough” LCO items to meet their fundamental needs, won’t bid as aggressively, if at all, on some of the treasure policy drops. Others travel extensively, use Dragon Stamps, or acquire resources from other chapters, which bring items into the system that did not originate there. Yet others are part of a team that may provide members with access to communal magic items. As a result of these, and other factors, the picture presented can be a bit blurry, and some numbers when broken down by class might sound unusual.

To the best of my understanding, knowledge, and recollection, specific to my local chapter, the magic item layout, culturally, is roughly as follows...

((Please note we have an LCO ritual cap of 20.))

Classes:

Role tends to determine immediacy of itemization need more so than anything else for us, as martial characters need certain weapon enchantments to improve their ability to engage with particular enemies (Undead, Elementals, etc.), or even be capable of combating them at all (Immune to Normal and Silver, etc.). Once they are empowered enough to directly contribute on a reliable basis by acquiring a suitable weapon, Cloaks/Banes, and Expanded Enchantments for Healing and Life, tend to be the next major focus. Essentially, things that would allow them or their friends to continue contributing to an engagement for a prolonged period. I would say the majority of our martial combatants have a magical weapon, with the mainstay of these being LCO ones sourced from Goblin Stamps. Magical weapons very seldom drop from treasure policy. Lower level characters who are not part of a team typically do not possess their own magical weapons, but may have access to borrowing one under certain circumstances. Most martial characters above 15th level tend to have an LCO Arcane Armor (with a few exceptions, some even due to character preference). I don’t, to the best of my current recollection, believe that there are too many primarily martial characters who aggressively bid on times per day damage or utility items.

Magical classes, from what I have seen as a whole, tend to bid primarily on items with times per day utility spells, damage, or healing. They will bid on Coaks and Banes, but not as aggressively as martial characters, unless the magical character is of mid to high level in which case they are equally competitive.

Our wealthy characters tend to be primarily scholars or some manner of scholar hybrid, and as a result those characters will have a tendency to successfully outbid their competitors if both parties genuinely want an item.

Levels:

For the most part, our higher level characters tend to have more magic items than our lower level characters. There are, of course, some exceptions to this, but overall I find that this is the case. Newer characters in our chapter do seem to get swept up relatively quickly into teams, or at least typically can accompany one with regularity. These teams often have communal magic item resources available for those players to enable them to more actively contribute in combat. These resources can range from magical weapons and Rendered shields, to defensive items like Cloaks, Banes, Arcane Armors, and Protection Auras, to offensive/utility/healing items like Expanded Enchantments. The vast majority of these communal items tend to be LCO. Many of our veteran players or staff members who may not necessarily be part of a traditional team will also have a number of community items that they proactively loan out, particularly to lower level characters.

Edge Cases:

There are a few high level characters locally whose number of magic items may cause them to be considered “edge cases”, possessing a greater number of magic items than their average peer. The class makeup of these edge cases tends to be reasonably balanced between martial and magical characters. These characters, however, tend to exercise the benefits of this equipment in a responsible fashion. We do not usually find these edge case characters deliberately utilizing their aresenal to imbalance a fight, or actively detract from the enjoyment of other players. Moreso, they tend to use it to support or reinforce the surrounding players, typically reserving their resources for “oh **** buttons” or high pressure boss fights.

Last edited:
Back