I Miss Ward Keys

Gilwing said:
markusdark said:
Robb Graves said:
heh... charm spell + invested player with read magic = the new ward key

Just curious as to how this would be any different than the current setup.

Because the old way when you have a copy of the ward key. You can go in there when ever you want. With the new system I will be in there with you. Charm or not I highly doubt you will be taking stuff.

charm, convince best friend w/ read magic to let you in and lesser invest you (level 3 scroll). shake hands, maybe amnesia, off you go. later that night.... come and go as you please...

There's this wonderful story having to do with Lupiticus, Mithrauko, Daniel, Xavier and a ward key....that would have been nowhere near as cool were it not for the ward key.

Trying to remember exactly how it went, but it had to do with Lupi being shoved and trapped in the ward because he didn't have the key, and then Xavier (IIRC) getting the key from Danny cus he 'needed something from the ward' circling round the back, and letting Lupi out to go wreak havoc.

Or something like that.

-Ali

undoer...not sure on this one other than it was a BBG at HQ

Doom was a 9th level celestial spell...was a Death spell for celestial

Ward Key...back in the day when you cast a Ward, it would make a magic lock on the door which had a key...so to open a ward you needed the key for it and you had to place the key into the lock to drop the ward and then remove the key to put the ward back up.

Not sure on the racial threshold....??

I remember it being up to 4 times, and it being utterly brokenly awesome at lower levels. It didn't work until your armor breached though.

I believe Doom was basically a 9th level celestial death spell. But it was more specifically a magical Eviscerate, so it left you bleeding out. But I could be wrong since I never played with it myself.

Artos said:
I remember it being up to 4 times, and it being utterly brokenly awesome at lower levels. It didn't work until your armor breached though.
Found my rulebook. It was up to twice for a total threshold of 2. I knew it wasn't as good as PA, but I forgot just how much worse it was.

Not that even a PA 4 is all that great in the higher level game from my experience... :?

It is when you have lots of weakness spells ;)

Or are fighting a bunch of Death imps. I've also seen high ogres in the past eat a gigantic assassinate via magic armor, spin around and destroy the rogue who suddenly can't break their threshold. It was situationally useful and it's true that 90% of the time it was fairly useless, but i also saw it save the day on occasion. I miss it, and it made sense for your Turtle, Snail and Armadillo scavvies.
-toddo

PS- it was also great against most waylay attempts because most of the waylays I see are for 0 damage.

Dreamingfurther said:
I believe Doom was basically a 9th level celestial death spell. But it was more specifically a magical Eviscerate, so it left you bleeding out. But I could be wrong since I never played with it myself.

Doom did 64 points of eldritch damage. 'Course back then, we also had magic missile. *sigh*

Tom Andary said:
Dreamingfurther said:

Doom did 64 points of eldritch damage. 'Course back then, we also had magic missile. *sigh*

Actually, you go back far enough and Doom was a down-to-minus-one spell. Scariest moment of my first event was having one of those lobbed over my shoulder...and missing. Mr. Spectre was not amused, 1st level scholar with knife vs. old-school Drain effect was the second scariest. :)

Dreamingfurther said:
Not that even a PA 4 is all that great in the higher level game from my experience... :?
I love having a PA 4 as a highbie for OOG reasons. I shouldn't be fighting things swinging that low, but in a big town/popcorn/etc battle, there needs to be littler things for the lower level people to engage. Having a PA 4 allows me to ignore little guys and only fight things that are closer to my level.

That's a good point. PA's definitely have some unique capabilities and affects. They just aren't my favorite personally.

they're my favorite when things are swinging death. "4 Death" can chew thru my little 15 point suit of armor pretty quickly.

Back