I Miss Ward Keys

I love PA 4's, and my 6+ weakness spells..and my mighty dagger...or just smaller celestial hounds just minus the weakness spells, saved a few people during a wave battle with them...ingnore the damage and save the other adventures...

Ward Keys were a fun dynamic. What I don't miss is the casting time on Wards!

Maxondaerth said:
Reminds me of the time we lynched that Davenport...

This doesn't have anything to do with our recent announcement of our Winter event 'Rise of the Gazebos' does it?

I liked Ward Keys. Heh. And back when my gypsy was a lowbie and a brand newbie, she got to carry the Commoners Cabin ward key. I think it was because it was just amusing to here her activate it in the accent.

"Word up!"

I miss killing monsters and getting experience points as well as experience points for good role-playing.

I miss when based on the number of alchemy levels you had determined how long it took to identify potions and poisons

I miss when spell singers were in the core rulebook and had spells like
Charm Monster
Mass Bless
Mass Sleep

spell wise, here's some spells that were made of win

I grant you the power to capture magic sent against you
I release a mind bolt to blast my foe
I knock upon the cosmic gate that I may enter
I part the dark veil of time to scry the truth I'm looking for
I scribe this warder glyph to gaurd this way from all unwanted trespasses
I curse you to die a painful death

and of course the best incants in the game

by the power of chaos, I call you forth and create undead to walk the earth
by death's dark mantle and the powers of chaos I control undead to do as I bid.

wow, that sure sounds crazy old school.

Some of those incants are wicked awesome... :p

Wow, Chirola, those are old things, many of which we never did here in the Alliance even when we were part of NERO, and for good reason... I don't miss them!

ChrioLA said:
I miss killing monsters and getting experience points as well as experience points for good role-playing.

Which of course led to favoritism with marshals getting to decide what was "good role-playing"

ChrioLA said:
I miss when based on the number of alchemy levels you had determined how long it took to identify potions and poisons

Just more tags to check and inconsistencies if you ask me the way we used to do it! We do that now still but it's a lot easier.

ChrioLA said:
Charm Monster
Mass Bless
Mass Sleep

Impossible to do with the tag system, and never in the "core rulebook." Trust me, my name is on all of them.

ChrioLA said:
spell wise, here's some spells that were made of win

I grant you the power to capture magic sent against you
I release a mind bolt to blast my foe
I knock upon the cosmic gate that I may enter
I part the dark veil of time to scry the truth I'm looking for
I scribe this warder glyph to gaurd this way from all unwanted trespasses
I curse you to die a painful death

"Truth" was a terrible spell. We'd even have people telling the truth OOG as best as they could remember something and still contradict each other. (Remember that if you're ever on a jury -- all lawyers know that "eyewitness" testimony is the worst testimony of all.

The others had other problems, not quite so bad.

ChrioLA said:

Of that I can agree! But the game is much easier to learn, especially for players who aren't fanatics like us, and that's pretty important too.

Mike, I don't think Chriso's post here was made as a criticism of our game as it is... just remembering old cool things that happened back in the day.

I love our current system, as I think most players of our game and forum do as well, I don't think we need to worry to much about point for point defense here. ;)

Dreamingfurther said:
Mike, I don't think Chriso's post here was made as a criticism of our game as it is... just remembering old cool things that happened back in the day.

I love our current system, as I think most players of our game and forum do as well, I don't think we need to worry to much about point for point defense here. ;)

Yeah, sorry if I came across as harsh! I just meant that most of those things may have been cool but they were hell for those of us running the game and marshaling them and I don't miss them at all! :D

fair enough, I can believe that as well.

Fearless Leader said:
ChrioLA said:
Charm Monster
Mass Bless
Mass Sleep
Impossible to do with the tag system, and never in the "core rulebook." Trust me, my name is on all of them.
NERO 3rd edition rulebook:
picture.php

Maybe the "core rulebook" is something other than the rulebook you guys put out?

jpariury said:
Fearless Leader said:
ChrioLA said:
Charm Monster
Mass Bless
Mass Sleep
NERO 3rd edition rulebook:
picture.php

Maybe the "core rulebook" is something other than the rulebook you guys put out?

Jeez, it's been so long I guess I forgot! It didn't last long that's for sure. Back then we had a new edition every year.

Fearless Leader said:

Heh. I've still got the 3rd edition book with Spellsinging in it,too. If someone could find all the points at which different rules systems branched off of that series, it'd probably fill a book all by itself. LAIRE's rules found their origin there, and there's still a Spellsinger skill list to the modern day. IIRC, SOLAR's still got the original "kill you dead" Doom spell.

ChrioLA said:

Fearless Leader said:
Of that I can agree! But the game is much easier to learn, especially for players who aren't fanatics like us, and that's pretty important too.

Alliance/NERO has always kept it closest to the KISS rule for spell incants and such, though I'd say that new players tend to learn stuff faster and more complex than we'd all expect. :)

Fearless Leader said:
Dreamingfurther said:

Yeah, sorry if I came across as harsh! I just meant that most of those things may have been cool but they were hell for those of us running the game and marshaling them and I don't miss them at all! :D

Actually, I don't think you came across too harsh and, in fact, enjoyed not only reading some of the old stuff but also the reasoning behind the changes.

Oh, and I didn't mean to put up the 3rd edition rulebook as a PDF to catch you, Mike. Just seems that JP is good at nailing all of us when we mess up. :)

markusdark said:
Just seems that JP is good at nailing all of us when we mess up. :)
Enh, I'd have just scanned my existing copy. I'm sure if I hadn't posted it, someone else would have. :) I just figure it means that we should only trust Mike as far as his memory will allow. ;)

jpariury said:
markusdark said:
Just seems that JP is good at nailing all of us when we mess up. :)
Enh, I'd have just scanned my existing copy. I'm sure if I hadn't posted it, someone else would have. :) I just figure it means that we should only trust Mike as far as his memory will allow. ;)

Doesn't that get shorter every year? I know it does for me. By this time next year, you shouldn't trust me as far as a sloth can wind sprint.

Back