John Finnegan - The Best of Us All - Rest in Peace

I dont know what to say. I first came to NERO when i was 16. John took me under his wing and showed me what this game was all about. I still remember all the jokes and laughs we had when i first threw those rocks. He will be sorely missed and I wish him the best wherever he is.

Rock Boy

John and I used to hang out and have lunch together down on Wall Street almost everyday during work. We grew pretty close in that time. I'm a bundle of numb and pretty shocked. I will always remember his warm smile and warm heart.
I just recently went down an internal memory lane of plenty of nights in Colleen's parents house chillin out with them and Patrick, Danny and Alex all getting drunk and hanging out. Enjoying life, playing deadlands, and being very in the moment. Sometimes a big rewind button is required for life - especially when someone very special like this is gone.

Colleen & Colleen - if you're reading this: I want to let you know... I'm always here for you. if you need anything call me.

with much love
Ray Olan
cell 717-858-9343

My heart goes out to both families and to everyone on this list. I've read through a bunch of the posts on this thread and can't help but be reminded of all of the love, creativity, compassion, and humor that John brought with him wherever he went. You can see all of that reflected by the sheer volume of people whose lives he's touched. While I've been out of touch in recent years, I can still hear him in the back of my head saying "I'm a schpider, ssheee?" and it makes me chuckle each time I think about it.

To those who are consoling her in her home, please let Colleen know that I live less than 2 miles from her if she needs anything - company, food, help with the house, whatever. And please give her a huge hug for me.

- Kate
(Kismet /Ba'Gel / Anadra WarTongue/ and a slew of NPC's back in the day)

To me the heart and soul of Nero is John, Scott, Jesse, and Patrick, the four horseman of Plot. I consider myself lucky to have been on Plot with all 4 of these people at some point or other. I remember first meeting John. He came to me at my first event and told me to gather the barbarians. I also remember John waking up NPC camp with his singing of "Oh what a beautiful morning" and him shaking beds singing "Up and at them Spare was his name".

John was one of those rare people in my life that I could not see for 6 months and we could pick up like we had just spoke 5 minutes ago. He was an awesome guy and had a heart of gold. John always saw the good in people and tried to make people realize what they could do. Most know how I am moving up in the world of MMO gaming. I credited this all to John because without him I would not have been able to move up. John taught me how to write and run events and entertain people with my imagination. He made me realize I was more than just another moron with plumbing supplies. Last time I saw him I remember making a joke that if I was Luke then John was my yoda.

All day I keep thinking this cant be true but the more I come to grips with this the more I realize how much I will miss John. I always thought no matter what happened John would always be there.

I am really still coming to grips with this and I dont think I will ever get over this

I'm sure you guys will think of something after the shock wears off but maybe a region or NPC or something in the game could be named for John or one of his characters. It was obvious to anyone who knew him that he loved the game so much and he has helped and influenced so many people that it would be fitting.

Just a thought.

John, we wouldn't have this great game and such an incredible group of friends if it weren't for you. You are dearly missed, and will remain in our hearts and minds always.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Colleen and family.

-Dan and Missy Lineaweaver

Hello. I am John's younger brother, Christian. I wanted to let you all know that I've been incredibly touched by your thoughts and anecdotes. I've always known that John was the most true and loyal of friends, but hearing you all speak so evocatively of him is overwhelming. I've been reading each post, intermittently crying and laughing. In your memories John becomes larger-than-life, almost a medieval Bill Brassky. I think this would please him very much. I wish John was still here, if only so that I could use what I've learned in these pages to bust his balls more effectively.

I've been walking around in a daze for the last 24 hours. I think it took reading your words to really bring this home to me, to remind me of what an extraordinary person John was and what a huge effect he had on people's lives. Thank you so much for this gift.

Best,
Christian Finnegan

I only met John once but that does not cease my feelings of sadness at his passing. From the comments on the boards and the grieving of my friends and loved ones for John I can see that he was a brilliant being and I know he was truly one of a kind, a honestly good person. I offer my sincere condolences to his family and hold firm in my faith that a bright soul like John Finnegan is never lost.

The following prayer is one I modified/wrote that has helped me come to terms with death before and properly giving honor to a respected individual, friend, or loved one.

Peace and Blessings - Emily

A Prayer of Honor

From the shining awakening of your birth
To the darkening twilight of your death
I honor you.

From the deeds you have done
To those dreams yet unfinished
I honor you.

For the loved ones who preceded you
To the beloved you walk before
I honor you.

Peace and blessings be yours as you tread
the path beyond the veil
May the angels bear you up and support you
May our love reach you and nourish the spirits of those left behind
May the grief of your passing not burden
But the blessing of your life shine upon us all.

From this moment until the end of time.
I Honor You.

Should anyone wish to express any thoughts about John in a more private manner:

Condolence cards can be sent to Colleen, Patrick and the rest of John's family at this address:

305 Woodwind Ct.
Stroudsburg PA 18360

Tonia just told me the news and I am numb. I knew John mostly through Ashbury and didn't really get to know him as much as everyone else had, After reading everyones thoughts and memories of him I'm thinking "man I wish I could've gotten to know that guy more." It saddens me that I will never get that chance. Even if you only knew him a little bit like me or if you were in constant contact with John, he still touched you. He helped create a game we all know and love, he was someone to talk to, he was quick to smile and quicker to laugh. He was a husband, a brother, a son, and a best friend to everyone he met. When he was around, the sun was brighter and warmer. Maybe thats why it is cold and gray today.

Colleen, Patrick, Christian, The Finnegan Family, and all who knew him, you are all in my thoughts and prayers

Dave Young

Though they cannot possibly heal the pain you must all be in, I would like to offer my words of regret and prayers for healing to all of John’s family and friends. On behalf of the rest of the ‘Boston crew,’ we are deeply saddened by the news of his passing.

Half a lifetime ago, John was the very first person I met at NERO walking into NPC camp in HQ at (nearly) 16 years old. He was directing the event, but took the time out to give some training and words of encouragement to a few high school sophomores without a clue as to what we were doing. He was the reason I felt part of things that weekend, and the reason I came back again and again. John was the encouraging voice that helped me submit my first NERO module to be run in the old Brooklyn Basement days at age 17.

Over the years John never ceased to share his kindness and support with me and so many others.

John was my first NERO hero. It was his voice and support that led me to seek out my own creative voice in this game, and I will always be grateful to him for that.

Eric Gibson

When I was in high school, I wrote shitty Dungeons & Dragons campaigns just like every other 15-year-old. Absolute crap filled with over-powered villains and plots that lacked any sense of cohesion. Utter garbage that I based on TV shows and cartoons.

At one of my first NERO events ever, John Finnegan wrote a throw-away plot based on the Ashbury player’s guide, involving a tribe of barbarians that had been extinct for a very long time. He probably didn’t expect that a scrubby kid with thick glasses and tangled, greasy long hair would be so fascinated that he’d try to "save" those people.

So John slapped on some paint and played a dying barbarian shaman that I found at a camp in the woods. I wish right now that I could replay that three-minute scene on video over and over. If it weren’t for him and a few others, I never would have gotten into LARPing as much as I did.

I saw John in the bathroom later that weekend. He gave me the biggest, friendliest smile and asked me if I was having fun. He was one of the most important guys at NERO. I could scarcely nod my head and smile, let alone talk to him.

I had been playing NERO for perhaps a year or two when I decided that I wanted to try writing. By then I’d interacted with John a lot and had exchanged emails with him now and then. He was, without a doubt, a hero to me. I showed him some ideas I had for "cool" plots -- extraplanar invaders called the Purple Horde. Looking back, I realize it was probably awful.

John exchanged emails with me every day as I refined my ideas and took his advice, learning how to write. He mentored me and helped me to understand what a GOOD medieval fantasy adventure should look like. I took all of those ideas and applied them to my Dungeons and Dragons games.

Years later I would find myself running my own chapter of NERO and writing plot almost every weekend. I cannot count how many times people would tell me how much they loved the things I wrote. On the weekends when I sat out, whether because I wanted to play my own character or because I was too exhausted to LARP, people would come to me just to tell me how much they wished I was running things that weekend.

Every single time that someone would compliment my writing, I would respond the same way: You can thank John Finnegan. He was my mentor.

I’d like to say my life will be lesser for John's passing, but the truth of the matter is that the entire world will be lesser for it. Every person that knew him and had their lives touched by his smile or his kindness has lost a great friend. Every person that never met him is worse off, because they will never know the man that I called my friend.

I haven’t seen John in years. I talked to him a few times on the phone a year or two ago, and we agreed to stay in more regular contact. Tough to do with a busy, grown-up schedule.

John’s impact on my life will forever be felt by those around me, because I must attribute my skills as a writer to him. Every adventure my friends and I conquer at the gaming table, every poem and note I send to my girlfriend, and every snarky blog compose is in thanks to that man.

I love you, John. I will miss you more than words can express.

My condolences to Colleen, all family members, and friends. Like anyone who met John, I have hundreds of stories that involve laughter, admiration, and a few spirited debates.

I know John from the "Golden Era" of Nero and I believe he is one of the primary reasons that description is bestowed upon those memorable years. John, you will never be forgotten by your family, your memory cherished by your friends, and your legacy preserved through your prolific writing.

Sincerely,

AJ / Baron Radric of Trellheim

This is Randy Pierce and I've never played an Alliance game though I did play under the first offshoot as Ashbury in NERO. I was there with Mike Ventrella early in the process and also saw John come into the game early in the process. He was young and full of energy and inspiration which was obvious even at that time. What was not obvious was his fantastic creativity nor his fantastic spirit. He was fun-loving, kind, patient and always willing to lend a hand. Over a few years I had the chance to experience his talents both creative and twisted. To laugh and despair at his creations of characters, worlds and challenges. I was never fortunate enough to be a friend of his but I was fortunate enough to see some of the wonders he created in his connections with people, his tireless energy and his intricate imagination.

I was stunned at the news and loss. I wouldn't have thought it would impact me so strongly but it has. I probably only know a handful of the folks posting on this board but I was moved and touched by the well deserved honors being paid to John. I'm tucked up in NH and so didn't get to know the magic he continued. In fact I've only witnessed too much death to the magic I once treasured in worlds that aren't as rich and vibrant with characters and atmosphere which made the LARP world grand for me. I still dabble but the Magic is so very weak. I regret that I didn't get to catch some of the magic I heard has continued with efforts such as those of this fine man.

How can yo miss a man you haven't talked to in ten years? It would take a very spectaculr man. We never had a falling out and we never had the opportunity to bond closely but I shall treasure the memories he shared with me much as many of yo who are all the more rich for the greater time with him.

Thank you John for having put enough into this world that your impact upon me can be this great from so long and far away. I will grieve the loss and celebrate the gain of that you gave to us with your gift.

Mike, Heidi - Thank you for all the many treasures and I wish I could have said that to John as well but fortunately I think he did get to know how well he enhanced the world around him. I hope you two know as well.

Randy
Once Alaric
Always able to appreciate true MagicTrue Magic almost always begins with Amazing People

It is wonderful to read comments from old friends and see how much John affected us all.

I am hopeful that maybe his loss will bring about a change he would have approved of -- that maybe some of the animosity and anger that still exists in the background between some of the players who left for various reasons can be put behind so that we can all be friends again, and maybe even play together again ....

It is not too late to repair broken bridges. It's what John would have done.

I got a voicemail from Spare when I was out at a Convoy Live Fire training today. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it all. I'll write more when I can.

I don't have the head or the words right now but please keep posting. It's helping me in so many ways. I always knew what a wonderful person John is but to hear it from so many different people makes it more true.

Everyone who has posted or is going to be posting, thank you. I wish I could say more.

Love,
Colleen

I remember the first season I played as Braveroar in New Jersey, John had been writing there, and boy did it show. There was a particularly cool encounter with what I think was a Wizard, or a Straw Man, some kind of creature in a circle of power creating Gargoyles and unleashing them on the town. Those unlucky enough to be brought down by the gargoyles were dragged in to the circle. I was one of them. I remember lying on my back, squinting so I would not be stepped on, and seeing John grinning, observing with a white headband on. I could tell from the look in his eyes something was up, but I tried to put it out of my mind. I knew "Man, John must have written this, this is scary as hell, what am I going to do now?!"

So I laid there, somehow or another Ragnar got dragged in to the circle too. I think he had feigned his way in, and managed to get me some healing before being taken down himself. "This is my time to shine, and show these guys what I can really do!" I thought to myself. Enough damage had been done to the big baddy in the circle, via Stabley kicking some ***, and I managed to take it down as one sword guy swinging 5's. "OMG I DID IT, AND JOHN SAW!!" I stood there shaking, recalling it now I still am, these were the moments where the games' proverbial teeth sank in.

So, there was a magical sword on the ground, I remember Dave B screaming at me to pick it up, and I was like I don't think that's such a good idea. He said fine I will...and I was like, screw that, he has enough magic stuff, it's my turn...so I picked it up. I am so glad I did, the next thing I heard was John yell

"HOLD!"

He called me over...my stomach became a pretzel the likes of which a Bavarian would be impressed with.

John whispered in my ear, grinning as wide as the horizon "The sword is Spirit Linked, and you now have an overwhelming urge to kill, every 5 minutes that goes by that you don't deliver a killing blow, you permanently lose 1 point of body."

I gulped and nodded. Back I strode...I ran away! I started trying to deliver killing blows to myself, Braveroar would never harm his friends! It was funny and dramatic and amazing. I was this writhing maniac on the ground, Lyle pinning me down, everyone frantically trying to find ways to get the sword off of me.

Aldric gave the sword a cure light, and poof, it was gone.

The whole time all this chaos and insanity went on, John stood by, smiling and watching, gleefully letting me know when my body points had been depleted.

After the ordeal in game I approached John and thanked him for such an amazing experience. He thanks ME! He said that he was happy it was me who got that sword. I will never ever forget that. I was so completely thrilled that this man, John Finnegan, said that to me. I was floored...it was the first time I had really had a chance to talk to him. I am so grateful for having had that experience.

Many more happened thereafter. So many wonderful times. John and Colleen even helped me find my home from a Jersey event. If it weren't for them I may still be roaming that states' spaghetti freeways.

All my love and prayers go out to you Colleen. I will always remember the great times. They were all great. John was a magnificent human being, and wonderful friend to all.

With love,

Justin Coggin

I

Heyas!

I remember John from the Golden days of Old Ashbury!

I wrote a letter, that got eaten by the webserver.. so here's my take-2.

John was always an inspiration to me. I find that I refer to him constantly whenever I am trying to explain "Good Plot" to someone. He had a talent for turning a lousy enounter into a memorable one. A way to turn a frown into a smile. He was one of the Greats of LARP. And I for one shall miss him.

heh... when I did Renn Faires, I would Filk "Finnegan's Wake" to be John Finnegan. I always found it easy to imagine John's Wake being of the type described in the song. One where a crowd gathers to pay their respects, and thru a Comedy of Errors, John revives and incredulousy asks "...do you think I'm dead?!" heh... well... John shall never die, as his memory and Legacy shall continue to live on!

Heh.. John was always larger-than-life to me. I can remember many different moments in time... all too long ago. We fell out of touch, and every email I've sent over the years to try to play "Catch-up" seemed to go awry... A constant Note-to-Self has been to get in touch and have another cup of coffee. Or warm beer. (Actually, as I think about it, it was John, after his trip across the Pond, who turned me on to the drinking of warm beer! heh...)

He shall be missed...

Clint
"Don't Kill the Plot Hook!" -my favorite quote of John's.

There is something that comes with my line of work that means I will lose too many friends too early. There is a sad resignation when it's one of my fellow soldiers. The feeling that I have now is nothing like it. The only time I can compare was the death of my mother. This is a close second in strength.

John Finnegan was one of the good guys. I met him at my first NERO weekend, in October of 1997. He was there, as always, welcoming new players with an enthusiasm that was unparalleled. John always approached the game with the goal of making sure that everyone involved had the most fun possible. And that's how he approached life as well. I struggle to think of anyone else I have known who was so giving and caring.

I want to write more, to match the feelings in my heart for JTF, but I can't. I can't find words to describe my sorrow.

I'll miss ya, big fella.

Back